Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

John Galt

Vendor
TJ, the difference really shows in this photo.

y9ydagar.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
T Jones,nice job.

Thanks John Galt, DOGMAN. I appreciate the comments. The suggestion to use a small ball to work out the old creases was a good idea. I like how it worked out. Unfortunately though, I still despise the hat. It's one of my least favorites. I'll never own another Open Road unless it pre-dates the 1960s, ('40s-'50s vintage). The quality of Stetsons in the 1970s and 1980s really went downhill. The sweat bands were cheap and stiff and the liner material was also sub-par. It looks to me as if different blocks may possibly have been used on later ORs than those that were used on the earlier '40s-'50's ORs (?)

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice work tjones.Fed glad to see you have that whiskey hat to your liking. I like the width of the ribbon .
I have a very dirty vintage Stetson 7x clear beaver for my next up coming project.

bond

This is a whiskey body in beaver that I tweaked to my tastes and a test of sorts for myself to see what I could do with a body in a color I thought I wanted for myself.

bond

Thanks for comments guys. Picking a ribbon was not so easy for this color felt and it really stumped me for a while.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My latest attempt at changing out a ribbon on another of my Open Road's. I switched out the original thin ribbon for a dark brown thin ribbon of the same width. I also used the same style bow work and changed the crease as well...

Slim_Ribbon_04.jpg

Slim_Ribbon_03.jpg

Slim_Ribbon_01.jpg

On this 4X Open Road I switched out the original thin ribbon for a dark brown mid-ribbon and used a Stetson Wanderer type bow...

OR_Hybrid_05.jpg

OR_Hybrid_02.jpg

OR_Hybrid_04.jpg

OR_Hybrid.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I converted this Black Resistol Stagecoach as a gift for my son's upcoming birthday. I had planned on selling it to a fellow Lounger if my son didn't want it, but he wanted a Black Fedora...a paint can and bubble wrap did the trick quite nicely to block a straight sided boxy crown. I also added a Khaki mid-ribbon and cut the brim to 2 7/8 inches...

Black_Resistol_Conversion_02.jpg

Black_Resistol_Conversion_04.jpg

Black_Resistol_Conversion_01.jpg

(I have a little more touching up to do around the brim. I was just too tired to do any more with it today).

This is how it used to look before the conversion...

Cowboy_Tele.jpg

Butt Ass Ugly 01.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe