Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I converted this Black Resistol Stagecoach as a gift for my son's upcoming birthday. I had planned on selling it to a fellow Lounger if my son didn't want it, but he wanted a Black Fedora...a paint can and bubble wrap did the trick quite nicely to block a straight sided boxy crown. I also added a Khaki mid-ribbon and cut the brim to 2 7/8 inches...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Don't tell me... you trimmed the +4" brim black Stagecoach!!!!!!!!!
Now I have to keep searching for another!!!!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Terry : It's really great to see your renovation projects evolve so successfully. Wonderful to see you as "Master of The Black Beasts" - and not the other way around. You can expect to see a whole new and interesting world roll out in front of you. Congrats, my friend ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry : It's really great to see your renovation projects evolve so successfully. Wonderful to see you as "Master of The Black Beasts" - and not the other way around. You can expect to see a whole new and interesting world roll out in front of you. Congrats, my friend ;)

Thanks buddy. I really appreciate your feed back and all the help you've given me....Yourself, John Galt, DOGMAN, Bond, Tony B and others have been very generous in sharing your knowledge and skills with those of us who are interested in learning to do conversions. You guys are great teachers and true artists. I'm grateful to you guys for all that you've taught me so far. There's more I need to learn though...and a few more tools I need to get to make these conversions easier. Not a lot of hatters would be so generous and helpful teach the craft as those of you on this forum have been. So again, John Galt, Ole, DOGMAN, Bond, Tony B, thanks for helping those of us who want to learn.

Ha! I don't know about Mastering those Black Beasts though. Both of the ones I have are getting new homes. The Squatter Beast has been traded off to John Galt and the Resistol Beast is a gift for my son! ;)

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I love using the Stagecoach hats for conversions.

Can you tell me how many of those you converted have a 4" brim or more?
It's just to let me know if they are common or not. 2 or 3 years ago all stagecoachs I found were all smaller than 4" so I ever discarded them in my choices.

John Galt

Vendor
Terry,

I've been buried at work, but have been looking at the photos you've sent me and posted. You are doing great work, and it's exciting to watch your growth. I really like your creases, and your ribbon work is far better than the first attempt on the ROTLA fedora. BRAVO!

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, what size are you?

I've got a black 7x Dunlap (that's right - quite rare as far as I can tell) cowboy hat in size 7 1/8 with a wide brim that I would part with. I think the brim is 4 or more inches. I posted it in Westerns Anyone? some time back.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, what size are you?

I've got a black 7x Dunlap (that's right - quite rare as far as I can tell) cowboy hat in size 7 1/8 with a wide brim that I would part with. I think the brim is 4 or more inches. I posted it in Westerns Anyone? some time back.
My hat size is... I think 7 1/4. But I can't really tell. The Stetson-Winchester is 7 1/4 and feels like a 7 3/8. The 5" brim Stetson and the furry brown Stetson are 7 1/4 but is a bit tight. The first Resistol I got is 7 1/4, was tight when I had more (and long hair) but now feels right. I think I'm a long oval. I must measure the head hole on that Resistol.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry,

I've been buried at work, but have been looking at the photos you've sent me and posted. You are doing great work, and it's exciting to watch your growth. I really like your creases, and your ribbon work is far better than the first attempt on the ROTLA fedora. BRAVO!

Ha! Oh yeah, my first ribbon attempt. Many moons ago!....Thanks buddy. Yourself, DOGMAN, Ole, and others have been very helpful. So what bits of accomplishments I've made so far is because you guys are willing to help and share your skills with others. I'll try getting back with you.

John Galt

Vendor
7 3/8

Which, when referenced back to the Resistol ruler should theoretically give us hat/head size:

a6amyjam.jpg

But I'm skeptical...

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
7 3/8

Which, when referenced back to the Resistol ruler should theoretically give us hat/head size:

a6amyjam.jpg

But I'm skeptical...

Theoretically it's 23.169" - which is closest to 23-1/8". One of my rulers says 23-1/8", and one says 23-1/4" - but the first is most correct. 6-3/4" x 8" in an ellipse calculator says just around 23-1/4"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe