Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

John Galt

Vendor
It's got a very unique crease, and it was done in multiple steps. I'm not sure I can reproduce it, and wish I could talk with the person who made it. It's impressive. I'll post a photo a little later...

John Galt

Vendor
I'll measure it when I get a chance, but it's not that high, comparatively. It's got a 1950's sort of sensibility.

No, I wouldn't trade for that particular hat, but PM if you have others. This is a very nice felt, and it's a neat hat, just a little wide for me under most circumstances, and I love westerns ;-)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well I was about to post this yesterday but someone would think it was a joke...
This is my first Stetson. This hat as traveled around my country under rain or hot sunshine, gone to the UK 3 times (survived it's weather) and was the hat I wore everyday for some years.
My mother says I should send it to clean but I think no one in my country knows how to "try" to clean it and to me it is in a state of "un-cleanable" due to years of oilskin I put in it.
The hatband lost most of the "silver" so it ended nearly forgotten. I would like to try a "pale rider" crease but was discouraged. So the only way to make this hat return to be used is to have a new hatband.
Gonna try with ribbons. Not as wide as my wider brim Stetsons as this is what I can get for now.
1ststet00.jpg

1ststet01.jpg

1ststet02.jpg

1ststet03.jpg

What do you all think?

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, I like it, and I particularly like the width you chose, but would also like a silver grey ribbon better ;-)

If this was your first attempt at putting on a ribbon & bow, I think you've got the knack.

I think the hat would benefit greatly from a naptha bath. You must have Coleman stove fluid or something comparable there (white gas, kerosine, or helicopter fuel would probably all work). That and a 5 gallon bucket will help a lot - see this forum for instructions & don't breathe that stuff!

Of course, if you want to ship it to me, I'll dunk it & put a vintage 1" (maybe it is 7/8) silver grey ribbon & bow on it...

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao - I'd probably have gone silver or gunmetal with the ribbon, but the ribbon and now work is well done.
Thanks. Not much choice because those ribbons have limited use and small shops only have low quantity and 2 or 3 colours. Need to go to big stores to find more colours/width or go to etsy/ebay.

I think the hat would benefit greatly from a naptha bath. You must have Coleman stove fluid or something comparable there (white gas, kerosine, or helicopter fuel would probably all work). That and a 5 gallon bucket will help a lot - see this forum for instructions & don't breathe that stuff!

Of course, if you want to ship it to me, I'll dunk it & put a vintage 1" (maybe it is 7/8) silver grey ribbon & bow on it...
Doing it myself probably will destroy something as I don't feel confident in doing it. I would not like to see this hat destroyed, it have been a travelling "friend".
Sending it to you, it's something I have to consider because shipping is not cheap. To USA and back to Europe, your work and probably import taxes... I think it's cheaper to get a "new" one. :(

Lookin good, joao!
Thanks Justin :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Joao, I think a Khaki color like the one I put on mine would look good on yours, except on yours, a 1 inch as John Galt suggested. It'll still make your hat "pop", but will be more toned down and more versatile to wear with a wider range of casual combinations.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I had to consider what I had at the moment near me. I wanted a 1" but not available.
There was also a grey/blue (maybe it's the gunmetal colour) but because it was the same width, I discarded it.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Help!!
I bought a "Stetson One Hundred"-or so it says on the sweatband, but not on the liner-in 7 1/4, and I need
7 3/8 L/O or closer to 7 1/2...open crown is 5 1/4", brim is 2 3/4"; felt is very thin-and very fine.
Would like to convert to classic fedora styling; I'm on a budget (that I don't like, but tough beans) and can
pay reasonable amount; hat is pretty clean inside & out- is there anyone out there who needs some
conversion work? I can email photos, just get back to me- adhoc.ideaguy@gmail.com
thanks
m

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Help!!
I bought a "Stetson One Hundred"-or so it says on the sweatband, but not on the liner-in 7 1/4, and I need
7 3/8 L/O or closer to 7 1/2...open crown is 5 1/4", brim is 2 3/4"; felt is very thin-and very fine.
Would like to convert to classic fedora styling; I'm on a budget (that I don't like, but tough beans) and can
pay reasonable amount; hat is pretty clean inside & out- is there anyone out there who needs some
conversion work? I can email photos, just get back to me- adhoc.ideaguy@gmail.com
thanks
m
Try sending John Galt a PM and see what he can do for you. He's really good.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just converted another Open Road. This one was a size 7 but I was able to reblock it and size it up to fit me using a paint can and bubble wrap. I creased it with a Center Dent and added a Khaki colored mid-ribbon with a double bow....

OR_Center_Dent_04.jpg

OR_Center_dent_02.jpg

OR_Center_Dent_03.jpg

Or_Center_Dent_06.jpg

OR_Center_Dent_01.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
g.durand, Justin, Richard, Joao, Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments. The pictures don't do it justice though. I started out to make another beater hat to knock around in, but it came out too nice for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe