Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

John Galt

Vendor
Looks good.
But you do know that in 10- 15- 20 years [with that original liner] someone here on the Lounge will be wondering what model Borsalino that is! ;)

Here's a tip. I always cut the original data parts from the old sweat, trim them a bit and spray the backs with glue, then paste them on the back side of the new sweat - on the side where they won't bother me. That way I've preserved the provenance and no one has to take my word that the rebuild is really a Strat, got example.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thanks again DMan. I think its your turn to post one sooner or later . Have any in the works?
I've been sewing liners together and experimenting making shark gill bows.Here is a Resistol Q.H.60 granite grey.Brim 4",now 2 1/2".Open crown 6 1/4",now creased front 4 7/8",back 4 6/8".I put on a dark grey 1 1/2" ribbon.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a redo of a Fed IV that another lounger asked me to add a brim binding and different crown ribbon to. Color of matching ribbons is Indigo blue with a contrasting wind cord.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thanks,bond.I do love the tall crowns.I think the lounger will be very happy with the brim binding it looks great.Mr.Astor it is fun to see the before and after conversion pictures,and of course wear the hats.ManofKent,Chepstow thanks.Joao Encarnado,sorry about the 4" brim trim.I do wear westerns from time to time.Although now I am much more a fedora guy.If I didn't convert it would just sit around.On the other hand my conversions I wear all the time.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My Beater project. This is a 3X Open Road, size 7, way too small for me, that I've been playing with for a while. No sense in keeping it wrapped up and tucked away somewhere. So I decided to make a "beater" out of it. Something to wear when I'm working around the house. I took out the leather sweat and replaced it with a gross-grain sweat from a cheap wool felt. It fits my 7 1/8 LO now. I had already reshaped the crown to a C crease at 4 1/2 inches at the pinch to 4 inches in the back. I also salvaged a ribbon from a hat that John Galt sent me. John did the actual bow work. This morning I ironed the brim and reshaped it to a fedora curl. The hat is actually pretty crisp looking for a beater though...the felt is still in excellent condition....

My OR 02.jpg

My OR 03.jpg

My OR 04.jpg

3uok.jpg

My Darkside...

mddl.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
T Jones,that's no beater.I think it looks great.

Thanks buddy. I consider that a real compliment. I'd love to be able to turn out the kind of work that you and John G. and a few others do though. You guys are real craftsmen. I love the creations you guys come up with.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Richard, DOGMAN, Harv, John G., Thanks guys for your comments. I really appreciate them.

John G., You, DOGMAN, and some of the others here really come up with great looking creations. I'd love to get hold of some blocks and flanges etc. and try my hand at a few conversions. The things you guys create are real works of art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe