Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

fmw

One Too Many
Ah, so Diamante is the model name. This hat has a very smooth finish - very different from my shaggy Dobbs and your Diamante. Any idea of its age?

fmw

One Too Many
No, it has been torn out. I've photographed everything that is there. All I can add is that the sweatband is black leather and the felt is very smooth and soft. Perhaps there isn't enough there to nail it down. I appreciate the guess. It's really a very nice hat.

I think this is a very good range estimate... 1970's seemed to usher in the era of model name imprint on the front of the sweatband. Mine has a very similar styling to yours with a different felt character.

Can inferences about date be made by the width of the ribbon? My guess is that such a wide ribbon would not have been popular in all decades, and more prominent in some than in others.

I don't think you can do that with Borsalino unless you are looking at really old ones. If the paper label was available it could help pin point it better with this one. As Alan said probably 1970s is a good bet.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Krystal Parmigiano

5345923475_5cf673b18d_b.jpg
5344989452_4926bf4335_b.jpg

5344381009_95e5603371_z.jpg
5344987170_76df110b23_z.jpg

Arrived flattened like a costoletta di vitello for Scallopine:
5345030110_fde8808c88_z.jpg

Got it back in shape, but still couldn't change the fact that it was a 4-1/2(56) and not the 59 listed. Actually greenish Lattuga(Lettuce). From 1981. Brim is 2-1/8" with triple-stitched over-welt.

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
RLK: I can't believe they sent the hat in an envelope. I am glad you have the hat now and not them. I am sure you will treat it with proper regard.

fmw

One Too Many
It seems to be none the worse from the shipping experience. Great hat.

On an unrelated question, is it normal for Borsalinos to be a little smaller than usual. My 7 1/8 is like a 7. I had to stretch it. Perhaps it shrunk a little over time. I don't know.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here

On an unrelated question, is it normal for Borsalinos to be a little smaller than usual. My 7 1/8 is like a 7. I had to stretch it. Perhaps it shrunk a little over time. I don't know.

Borsalinos seem to be all over the place. I have six or seven including two vintage ones. In brief my observations on this small sample are as follows. When a Borsalino has a thick leather sweatband, as I have with two new-bought beaver Borsalino models, it eats up a whole size. So my 7 1/8 Borsalino beaver fit like a 7. Knowing that, next time I bought another size up (7 1/4 or 58 cm), and it fit fine. I have one Borsalino, an Alessandria, with leather band that fits true to size. On the other hand, I have two Borsalinos with a cloth sweatband (meaning thin), and they are too big, a little. Then the two vintage ones with leather sweatbands are true to size. My conclusion is that at least with the new Borsalinos, at least the beaver ones (for sure the beaver ones) a thick leather sweatband reduces the size by as much as 1 cm; and a cloth sweatband on a Borsalino increases size by as much as 1 cm. So sizing with Borsalinos is a tricky business.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up

Yes, usually they arrive slightly undersize. Every one Post WW2 has been smaller than tag size. Never had one with a cloth sweat. My Panizza with cloth sweat is slightly undersize.

Last edited:
today's puzzler

Anyone have a guess on the vintage of this Borsalino dress western? From the reeded sweatband and liner, I would have guessed 1980s or more recent... but the prior owner feels strongly that it is older. Hat will be in my hands later this week and will post more on it.

borsalino_label.jpg

From the seller's description written description:

"Borsalino, Grand Prix Paris 1900, Reg US pat. Off. Made in Italy by Original House Founded in 1857."

To my knowledge, no model name on the front of the sweatband.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
From the seller's description written description:

"Borsalino, Grand Prix Paris 1900, Reg US pat. Off. Made in Italy by Original House Founded in 1857."

To my knowledge, no model name on the front of the sweatband.
That puts it before the selling of the company in the 80's and retailed in the USA, as does this liner. I couldn't really say much else from the photo and the above info. Reeded US models are somewhat more unusual.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback... will post additional info and pictures when the hat is in hand. The seller said her consignee had an older date from pictures of the hat being worn... I am skeptical, but we'll see.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino, Qualita Speciale

A lightweight, Qualita Speciale.

Color: Rutenio (thanks to carouselvic and Robert for the correction).
Crown: 4-3/4", as creased.
Ribbon: 2", in Asfalto.
Brim: 2-1/2", with 3/16" overwelt edge.
Sweatband: 2".

Textured onion skin covering over liner tip, with the hatter Carlo Lambardi's address incorporated.

Characteristic corrugated spacer at the forehead portion of the sweatband.

Another angle better illustrating the sweatband corrugation.

Very high quality, full 2" sweat with the Grand Prix Paris 1900 logo.

Hatter's name and address duplicated on the sweatband.

Taped sweatband rear seam. Scarce Punti size 6-1/2!!

On the way to Mozart's Die Zauberflote with wife and son, -7F air temperature(-20F upon our return!!!).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael