Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

One Too Many
Black is classic. Here are a few..
Dobbs
DSC07820.jpg

Brill Bros.
DSC07609.jpg

Penny's Marthon
DSC00520.jpg
Nice hats, I have always belived wichs black in hats is an excellent and elegant color, although many people do not think like this, I use black often with jeans an casual wear.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't really have room for a black fedora in my wardrobe. It just wouldn't fit very well with what I wear. However, I am on the lookout for a screaming deal on a black homburg to go with my tux.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I use my black fedora a lot during the winter months - it goes well with a dark or black overcoat. Looks great with snow spotted on it.

I have a smaller stingy one with a low crown that I never use (and will sometime try to sell) - I find it looks bad partially because of the colour, yet my high, non-tapered, wide brimmed one works great in black.

3545647924_f880b78be5.jpg

vs
3517489421_d0fa14243e.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I have one black Borsalino Alessandria, given to me by a friend who's uncle (deceased) was sort of Orthodox Jewish. I rarely wear it, because the brim is just a bit too wide, and I just don't think black looks good on me (or most men, unless you're all trussed up for temple, with dark suit, prayer shawl, and full-beard...).

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have to say, I have found this whole idea that black doesn't look good an interesting concept. I never thought of any particular color as not looking good. Heck, one of the first colors I really, really wanted when I was first buying fedoras was black. I have a couple now, anyway.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I don't wear black at all, and my exposure to Black Fedoras has been those of the Chassidom, so I would not buy or wear aBlack hat. But if I did, this is what I'd get and have it creased, a Black Squatter w/ a teardrop/pinched front crease as this pic from DM shows.

1610blk-bashed_lg61.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I thought this was kind of interesting, and this is a thread about black fedoras:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Black-Fedora-Hat

I have a mixed reaction this, however:

Many people think that mixing and matching navy blue or brown with black is a fashion no no, so if you have an all brown suit or a navy blue suit, you might not want to wear your black Fedora with it, however, depending on the get up that you are wearing, the black hat can actually complement even these colors nicely.

I can see the point about a brown suit, maybe, but a navy blue suit with a black fedora is a good combination, and actually goes with it.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
My avatar is a pic of my late father as a young man wearing a black fedora, and looking very snazzy in it.

So, while I don't have a black fedora at this point, I'm planning to start a family tradition and get one.

W_B_K

New in Town
Thanks Sir, es mi hija más pequeña, tengo 4 hijos, 35, 29, 27 y 12 años. (With same wife)

Wow, I thought I had a spread with 3 and 15! Congrats, children are a blessing and the true meaning of life :)

I love black hats and those look great on you.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I respectfully disagree. Maybe it's just because I'm in Washington DC, where the Abramoff scandal was particuarly big news, but I've heard more than one person comment that someone wearing a black hat reminded them of Abramoff. I was in BCF and tried one on, and the person I was shopping with told me I looked like him.

My assertion that the black hat is closely associated with Abramoff in folks' minds right now wasn't just speculation.

A few years have now passed since that comment and all I can say is who is Abramoff??? I really don't remember that name.

No answer to that required. Or wanted.

In any case, I have a black fedora and a black homburg. I occasionally wear the black fedora if I think it fits the rest of what I am wearing. Today for instance. As for the homburg, I really think of that as my most formal hat and only wear it on the most formal winter occasions when I'm also wearing a black topcoat. Pretty much reserved for black tie or funerals.

As far as the association of black fedoras with the Jewish religion, I've never lived anywhere with a large enough Orthodox Jewish presence to make that association. Certainly no one has ever made any such comments to me while I was wearing a black fedora.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have a couple of great black fedoras ... and I'm constantly looking for more.
How could you NOT want a black hat?
Jimmy Cagney, John Wayne, Paladin, Wyatt Earp, and Hopalong Cassidy, for crying out loud!

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe