Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUFFERING For Your STYLE

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I guess it proves a point that's escaped a lot of young "rebels" today -- there is no conformity like the conformity of the non-conformists.

I couldn't agree more with that statement. To quote a paper I once wrote on this topic:
"Today we are known for our individuals who remain individuals, who are so thirsty to be different and to be defined by their differences that they shove others away. Yet in their search to be different they are the same, for millions like them are doing the same thing."

dr greg

One Too Many
others

dakotanorth said:
I lived in Indiana up until May 06 and it was hell. Sometimes I think I wore vintage just to visually claim "I'm not one of them!!" /QUOTE]

This is a very strong impulse; the philosopher Levinas is paraphrased roughly as saying that we define ourselves more by what we are NOT than what we actually are, in contrast to the prevailing view of society and fashion that our basic impulse is to belong. I live in a cowtown with grass-chewin hillbillies everywhere (as well as Hare Krishnas and lots of lesbians so it ain't too bad really), and I keep a costume of battered hat and dungarees for the days I got to the cattle sales, but generally I dress very differently to the genpop, no doubt subconsciously pointing out that I am different, and don't really want to be one of them unless I really need to be for a day at a time.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Boy ain't that the truth...

LizzieMaine said:
I guess it proves a point that's escaped a lot of young "rebels" today -- there is no conformity like the conformity of the non-conformists.
...I saw part of a show on the singer "Pink". "Oh she's such a rebel." "Oh she's so original." Oh brother. What a self obsessed stinkin' little clone. Now, if she was a torch singer with no "tats" and good manners that would be original.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only suffering I've done lately is to get my latest 1940s find a bit damp in last night's rain. It's a crepe dress with ruching, a peplum, and the print is of roosters!! $2.99 at the Salvation Army Thrift Store near my house. I bought it thinking it would be much to small for me and that I'd just add it to my museum, but it fits beautifully.
Pink is a jerk, and I didn't even see the program.
ASimpleLady said:
Oh I can't wait to hear what people will say when I get a vintage wardrobe going on. :) I'll have to make mine because (amazingly even in Florida) I can't find anything or any shops. [huh]
I can't tell what part of Florida you live in from your profile but if you live in Central Florida there is a hospice shop in Eustis called The Pink Elephant that I've gotten bags of vintage clothing from, for heartbreakingly low prices.

EvenOdd

New in Town
Thunderbolt said:
Everyone listens to screaming and groaning heavy metal

Awww, but I love screaming and growling death metal! :rage: -raaaawwwwr! lol

I haven't started wearing vintage yet, but I have gotten a lot of questions when I started wearing collared shirt and tie during the week. I'm still in college, finishing up a masters. I'm in a fraternity (yes, frat boy, often the bad example of style) and friends always ask me what I'm dressed up for. I'm teaching a class this semester so I just say it's for teaching. If only they knew I liked dressing better now.

I had previously simplified my wardrobe to simple jeans and plain, colored t-shirts. I have never worn sandals/flip-flops for I have a strong aversion to them, especially even looking at them. I do have some cargo shorts, but I don't usually wear shorts.

Right now my wardrobe is being geared more towards dressy, with slacks, long sleeved shirts and nicer shoes. Doesn't help I'll be working soon. I've been looking at various styles, and may start picking out things I like from vintage. Perhaps a tweed jacket, perhaps a sweater over a collared shirt. I'm going to start taking notes and see if I can incorporate items I like. And I'm looking at trying on some fedoras to find my perfect fit. I have a large head (7 7/8) so I need to be sure things fit properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally