Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SUFFERING For Your STYLE

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Mojave Jack said:
We are, in effect, playing dress-up (just with a lot of class!). We simply have the disposable income combined with a greater degree of social anonymity that allows us to re-invent ourselves as we see fit ...

Wise words, and very true.

People in developing countries tend to look at people like us and think we're nuts. For one thing, "modes and manners" nostalgia has no value for them -- unless they look far back enough to an ancient, pre-colonial fantasy past.

Practically no one in Chile, for instance, has nostalgia for the modes and manners of any decade before 1990. Life was worse then than now, Chileans reckon ... and for the most part, they're right.

Shimmy Sally said:
Exactly; having curls in the hair, an unexposed navel, listening to your Granny's music and wearing heels more than most gals isn't going to upset many people.

Madam, you describe me to a tee. On my non vintage days, heels and curly hair are the norm (strange for a chap, i know, but i have an unending love for the late '60s Doors-esque styles).

Suffering is the word, i guess. I take abuse for wearing vintage and for my demeanour, but then, i take abuse for simply looking androgenous and bearing significantly less testosterone than most - one of those "fake" men we hear so much about. I wouldn't describe this as suffering.

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
Here's a man who certainly suffered for his style. He dared to be different. And was roundly criticised for it. A decidedly normal, but quirky, chap. RIP.

mickeymouse.jpg

bk

Here we go again. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
Do you actually have a ukelele? lol

Regards,

J

A ukelele? No. The point?

He was weird because he played a ukelele? He was weird because he got married on TV? He was weird because he wore makeup and quirky clothing? He was weird because he was a devout catholic of the type of old? He was weird because he was stridently homophobic? Weird because he worshipped women? For none of these (except the hate) does he deserve the abuse he took in his life and after.

No, he was given abuse because he looked very different from most people (he suffered for his style). This is what this thread is about ...

bk

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mojave Jack said:
That's what all forms of fashion do, and always have. That old saw that "you can't judge a book by its cover" is pure bunk. Every one of us evaluates each and every social situation continuously through visual cues, and in fact, we depend upon the visual cues to make assessments every day all day.

What is unique today in the USA and some other Westernized nations is the phenomena of consciously cultivated personas, a unique hallmark of the post-modern era that evolved within the last thirty years. An unintended consequence of the television and electronic age is an increased isolationism and materialism, combined with disposable capital, which effectively means that people are no longer defined by what they do, but by what they own. Some people therefore adopt a persona that reflects his or her particular values; others let the crowd with which they affiliate dictate their persona. For the crowd here, it may be a desire to return to (what is perceived as) a less complicated, more polite, more stylish time. In fact, we are probably all nostalgic for a time and place that never really existed, like the Mayberry of The Andy Griffith Show, where there was no racism, no violence, and even the town drunk was a lovable character. We are, in effect, playing dress-up (just with a lot of class!). We simply have the disposable income combined with a greater degree of social anonymity that allows us to re-invent ourselves as we see fit, not to mention the social mobility to change our circumstances to a much greater extent than ever before.

By George! That's great stuff. Well said!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
No, he was given abuse because he looked very different from most people (he suffered for his style). This is what this thread is about ...

bk

Uh, I think the issues with his falsetto and his childlike, pre-Michael Jackson type persona and marrying a 17-year-old might have given him more issues than his hair/clothes. None of which are that outlandish for singers from the 70s.

Viola said:
the issues with his falsetto and his childlike, pre-Michael Jackson type persona

Which came from his undying love of music hall entertainment. His onstage persona was taken directly from his heroes of the music hall tradition. This was nothing strange for the 1920s. He was attempting a revival, with very limited success.

Viola said:
and marrying a 17-year-old might have given him more issues than his hair/clothes. None of which are that outlandish for singers from the 70s.

There's a problem with marrying a 17 year old? By all accounts they were in love at the time ...

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
How old was Priscilla Beaulieu when Elvis Presley married her? And how old was Jerry Lee Lewis's cousin when he married her? And how old was Camille Claudel when Rodin took her for his mistress?

Hey, some artists have a penchant for young blood. *Sometimes* their careers get kicked in the teeth for it. Should they expect any different?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
There's a problem with marrying a 17 year old? By all accounts they were in love at the time ...

bk

When there's a twenty year age gap, its kinda creepy to me, yeah. Not saying he should be locked up or anything, but ugh. I'm with Marc - they can do what they want but I have the right to go "yuck." In Tiny Tim's case, you have to wonder why they couldn't wait and what a 37-year-old man was doing with a girl that age.

Its not a tale of highschool sweethearts there.

Viola said:
When there's a twenty year age gap, its kinda creepy to me, yeah. Not saying he should be locked up or anything, but ugh. I'm with Marc - they can do what they want but I have the right to go "yuck." In Tiny Tim's case, you have to wonder why they couldn't wait and what a 37-year-old man was doing with a girl that age.

Its not a tale of highschool sweethearts there.

Agreed and he was just strange. Aside from it being against statuatory laws of the time and the laws still exist on the books, what does a man twenty years younger have in common with someone that much younger? [huh] That is definitely pushing the Michael Jackson envelope. :eek:
The Ukelele was just a small part of it. I actually have four or five of them myself but I don't think I am going to go waltzing around like a nut through tulips. :p I am sure you will continue to worship him as many sicophants do but geez, he doesn't have to be weedled into every thread. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Because I don't have a full retro/vintage wardrobe yet (I'm so aiming for that!), when I do wear retro inspired clothes, I often feel like I'm being stared at, and my boyfriend's family members sometimes ask "where are you going tonight?" as if I'm all dressed up to go out on the town; or, perhaps they think I am dressed innappropriately for this period, suggesting that I may be going to a play or a retro dance.

Sometimes the looks I get from strangers are confused looks, and sometimes I get a nice compliment on my glasses.

I don't particularly care for the attention, so I guess that's how I'm paying for it, just taking the looks. I hope it inspires someone to break out of the norm. I'm tired of the dreadful styles of late.

Oh yeah, and wearing dresses, I suffer. I won't go into detail, but I do. Let's leave it at that.

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
Oh I can't wait to hear what people will say when I get a vintage wardrobe going on. :) I'll have to make mine because (amazingly even in Florida) I can't find anything or any shops. [huh]

Mop my brow

Viola said:
When there's a twenty year age gap, its kinda creepy to me, yeah.
What's the gap between Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher? Pia Zadora & her corpse? Anna Nicole Schmidt & That Rich Corpse? LIz Taylor & her "steadman"?
Baron Kurtz said:
You brought him up most recently (in hats i think). I felt he needed defending again.
God bless you, Baron. Over the years I have come to appreciate Mr. Tim more than when he burst upon the scene in my youth. "Tiptoe" is really a hot number on the "Hit Of The Week" Duriums. Ian Whitcomb does wonderful bits of Brit Music Hall (not that I'd ever had a chance to see the original), including a rare, live performance last night of a very "camp" period Faerie song (Janet Klein's Parlor Boys in Hollywood).

And being more Sid Greenstreet than Bogie, even in linen in October I was mopping my brow - perhaps it was the effect on me of the lady next to me!

Then there is that whole "eeew what are you contaminated with" stare when caught listening to radio Dismuke at work instead of " i wanna marry a litehaus keeper an liv by tha side a the sea" or whatever they were listening to in the mall scene of "Clockwork Orange".

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
RondoHatton said:
What's the gap between Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher? Pia Zadora & her corpse? Anna Nicole Schmidt & That Rich Corpse? LIz Taylor & her "steadman"?

Not to mention the age gap between -lots- of our grandparents and probably 85% of our great-grandparents...and the fact that the girls were married at 16....or younger...

but since its more recent..its dreadful and horrid ;)

ahh the rosy sunglasses are on again...i feel better ;)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Well, vintage or not, it is clothing nontheless. Anything you wear is clothing so if someone is not hiring you because your clothes have been out of style for 70 years, think to yourself, "do I want that job or not, and do I care that they don't like old clothing?".

There is also a thing called a compromise. If a partner doesn't understand vintage, make them understand. There are a lot of confusions all around and they are never explained, which is why they are confusing. Explain and the confusion is over.

As far as judgement, I could care less. When I walk down the
street, I am saying to the world that this is me, and whether you like it or not, I don't give a damn. I only hope that could go towards everyone in the world, but judgement comes before understanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally