Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing Recommendation for Aero Battle of Britain Jacket

Allister

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I am excited to announce that I finally have the means to get an aviator jacket made! I want to go with Aero's Battle of Britain model, and have been in communication with their customer service for a few weeks now. I would love to ask some advice before I place the order, since this is a sizable amount of money and I will be sad if I order the incorrect thing.

The smallest size advertised is a 34", and as I am smaller than that, their representative initially cautioned me that this was likely to be too big on me, and that even with a sweater on under the jacket, it may not really fit. I had supplied my measurements and while it wasn't an enormous difference, it seems like it was going to be significant enough she was gently trying to discourage me from this.

Then she comes back: she spoke to the production manager and there actually was a pattern for a 32" jacket! I was all set to get that order going, but she came back again and after talking more with the production manager, and it sounds like they didn't want to promise the pattern was going to produce the quality jacket everyone would want. So now she suggests I just order the 34".

My question is, should I hope for the best and go along with this as they are the experts, or should I trust her original warning and err on the side of caution? The representative has been so helpful and communicative but it's a lot of money and before I actually place the order I wanted to see what the fine folks here might think of this situation. I would appreciate any advice either way. Thanks so much!

For reference, I'm about 115 pounds and my measurements are chest (relaxed)-31.5"; chest (expanded)-33.25"; stomach-28; waist (over belt)-31"; sleeves-22"; pit-to-pit-18.75"; shoulders-19"

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Do you have measurements for a jacket that fits the way you want it to? Personally, I don't think the measurements differ that much. In fact, my CXL jackets have the same measurements as my shearling jackets. I only have half an inch more in the length because the fur raises the jacket.
I think jacket measurements are easier to compare than body measurements.
I give Aero my desired jacket measurements and they then see which size comes closest to these measurements (P2P). From there they lengthen, taper, widen... whatever is necessary to get as close as possible to my measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally