Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

December

One of the Regulars
zendy said:
Practice on muslin. You can get it for .99 a yard sometimes, Make it once and if you mess it up you'll know what you did wrong before you ruin good fabric. Promise it'll make you work longer but you'll get better at sewing in no time.

Great idea! I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Kamikat

kamikat said:
Somebody stop me, please!
v8686.JPG=600

3717514032_d8aaeb672b.jpg

I had that Advance one in my ebay watch list! Great pattern!!

Honey Doll

Antje

One Too Many
zendy said:
Practice on muslin. You can get it for .99 a yard sometimes, Make it once and if you mess it up you'll know what you did wrong before you ruin good fabric. Promise it'll make you work longer but you'll get better at sewing in no time.

Well this may be an idea, who nows maybe I will try it again somthime

MarieAnne

Practically Family
December said:
I'm exactly the same!

I'm building up a collection of vintage patterns, but too worried to actually make them up. I don't want to waste a whole load of fabric.

I know this is really old but it actually has some GREAT advice and tips on sewing with patterns. The pain-in-butt tedious stuff that is taught in this video is actually worth while. :)p Who knew a generation who made most of their clothes themselves would know anything about making clothes?!:p ) I didn't believe it until I started using tailor tacks, notches, basting stitches and frequent fit checks. Man what a difference! This is only part one, you can see part two on you tube.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/saJ6S2lcPNE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/saJ6S2lcPNE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Shirin

A-List Customer
Great patterns Vanessa. I saw that second one on ebay a few days ago, and contemplated bidding. I really like that 30s suit too.. So chic!

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
What a great find. I really like the 'blouse drapee'. Would I perhaps be able to copy it? Also, if you need a hand translating the instructions, I speak french fluently and would be glad to help.

Thankyou Marie-Anne I couldn't believe my eye's when I saw these patterns. Sure I can copy this pattern for you, I'll PM you (first time doing this so be patient), and the offer to translate is a very kind gesture.
Update: Unable to PM :mad: not earned the right to yet, please PM me.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
!BUlUY5wBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLl0EpmBKOQgg83rg~~_35.JPG

I got this for the smart sewing and simplicity magazines but it also contained a ton of transfers, quilt, knit and crochet patterns, a dress pattern and a wood working pattern for a deck chair and chaise.

!BV3PLd!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKUp-4SgNw~~_35.JPG
!BV68lSg!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjEEjlLmZ(ZQBKU7qM5icw~~_35.JPG

!BV3PMf!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmVD,kBKUp-8IoPw~~_35.JPG
!BV3PQcQBGk~$(KGrHgoOKiIEjlLm(KVwBKUp+OjBn!~~_35.JPG

These are part of a 9 pattern lot I won on ebay, I had just been outbid on the dress in the second pattern when I find this. I can't believe my luck.
!BWC+zcQCGk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLly1TnBKVjbPW)yw~~_35.JPG

this is part of a 4 pattern lot of which I only wanted the playsuit. It's a smaller size than I thought it was though.

Ales Rider

New in Town
Hi Everyone :)

Received this in the post this morning.
Not a vintage pattern, but I think it looks quite vintage in style. Should be an easy one for me to cut my 'never made a dress before' teeth on.

I like the shorter length best, and should hopefully look nice in even just a plain fabric with some pretty ribbon for the trims. I want to make the short version with the plain straps, but if that's successful I'd like to try the halter neck version as shown in the large photo.

!BV4yZ9!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLle-etBKU0pf)r8!~~_1.JPG

I'm very jealous of some of the patterny gorgeousness you girls have aquired. :p
Is just drooling at the pics of patterns a bad thing?:whistling

MarieAnne

Practically Family
poggleberry said:
Thankyou Marie-Anne I couldn't believe my eye's when I saw these patterns. Sure I can copy this pattern for you, I'll PM you (first time doing this so be patient), and the offer to translate is a very kind gesture.
Update: Unable to PM :mad: not earned the right to yet, please PM me.

I tried to PM you but it would not let me:( We could exchange copies. Let me know if there is anything you are looking for. It might be simpler for me to copy the pattern and return the pattern to you, but if you aren't comfortable with that I can understand and I won't be offended.

Coopsgirl

New in Town
I got my first vintage pattern a couple weeks ago for $6 at an antique store. It's complete and in great shape. They had written '1930' on the back but it's clearly from the 40s. With a little internet research, I was able to date it to around '45-'46. I only know a little bit about sewing but thankfully my mom is a wiz at it so we're gonna tackle this together.

pattern1946_001.jpg

Yesterday I got the latest Gary Cooper clipping packet I won from ebay and I noticed this woman is wearing a dress very similar to one from my pattern and it's from 1945 - freaky!!

handwritinganalysis1945_001.jpg

zendy

A-List Customer
picked these up today. There is a red gingham dress on Ebay right now identical to the vogue, so this is much cheaper and I know it'll fit. YAY!
il_430xN.54120277.jpg
il_430xN.46185408.jpg

Vanessa

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
Love this pattern! And the lady on the left has a hat matching the other's dress. :)

ETA: Wait, maybe I'm wrong. Is that supposed to be a real flower on her head?

Probably a flower on the inside brim of her sunhat.

zendy

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
Zendy, good score on getting that Vogue in a 40! I'm always looking for wraps in larger size.
It's ridiculously exciting to find cute things in larger sizes isn't it? But when you do, oh man. Speaking of, Etsy is a goldmine for larger size vintage patterns at the moment, and shipping is reasonable, unlike Feebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe