Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Miss Golightly that house is going to be absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see what you do with it. I know you want to do a lot of work to it, but what a beautiful canvas to start with.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I just bought a new vintage house in" The Heights" here in Houston.

Now I have to unpack and get all my vintage stuff set up
house1.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thank you everyone! I loved the house the second I walked into it - I just got such a lovely feeling from it. Funnily enough we went across the road to view a similar house for sale and I took an instant dislike to it - even though it was in better shape than ours - funny that!

So glad to see other people who appreciate the tiled fireplaces - most people seem to hate them - the amount of homes I have gone in to view where the original fireplaces have been ripped out and replaced with 60's/70's ugliness or replaced with fireplaces not in keeping with the period style of the house.

Rue - the cupboards will need some further inspection - we haven't had a good look at them and again - like the fireplace in the kitchen - they may crumble when removed but we'll see what the story is in the coming weeks.

Lolly - that house is fabulous - the bathroom alone!!!!! I wish the guy spent more time showing the fireplace and spent less time showing us the ivories. I hope whoever buys the house appreciates it and doesn't decide to rip the heart and soul out of it.

I love the house Miss G. It will be so beautiful when it's done. I have to say i love the fireplaces and the larder cupboards, i do hope you manage to keep them. Sadly the twit who owned my house before us ripped out all our fireplaces, lets hope yours are salvegeable. Fingers crossed.

Anyhow, i wish you all the happiness in your new home.

S x

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Ginfizz - thank you! Can't wait to start looking at kitchens, bathrooms and furniture - a project I am very much looking forward to!

Miss Sofia - thank you too! That's such a shame about your fireplaces being ripped out - I just don't get it! Although I suppose certain fireplaces are quite valuable and can make a pretty penny if you rip them out and sell them on. There is a lovely Victorian house for sale down the road and when you pass by and look in the window you can see the cast iron fireplace has been ripped out - such a shame....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Miss G - sadly you're right. My fireplaces would have been small art-nouveau ones with little lily designs going up the sides, as my neighbours on both sides still have some of the originals. But i have managed to find an art noveau electric fire to put in the dining room, and a mock wood burning stove in the sitting room, which does the job.

Btw your garden is lovely too. I spy some nice foliage. I can see the little Miss having a whale of a time!

x

Louise Anne

Suspended
These was a program on UK TV last week showing a 1950's kitchen which a lady had reconstructed and used in her home, OK I cannot remember the nane or channel at the moment maybe some one will come up with it before I can remember it .

I sure a lot of you would be interested in seeing it.

That new place of yours looks neat as a pin, Absinthe. A very handsome structure, indeed, and very well maintained, judging from that photo. When was it built?

Congratulations. Here's hoping you enjoy living there and making even better.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Well, here is my vintage home. Built around 1648 but had alterations along the way.

It was one of three, but the other two were demolished at the beginning of the 20th century. Its detatched, and the front door used to be next to the window at the front............when the road was nothing but a track leading to open fields :)

Kitchen view to front door

View from kitchen to living room

Living room view to kitchen and front door

Kitchen view to stairs

Bathroom

Conservatory

Main bedroom view to top of stairs and spare bedroom

The house contents might not be exactly vintage, but the house sure is! :D

Dubya

One of the Regulars
^^ Many thanks for the very kind comments Connery :) ^ And thank you indeed AtomicEraTom. She's an old house alright. Not a straight surface to be found! The stairs are more like a ladder really. I think 17th Century building regulations were more guidelines than rules! :p

Stairs from kitchen to bedrooms

Stairs from top of stairs "bedroom landing" to kitchen

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Dubya those stairs are scary! nice house though...Miss Golightly I'd definately be saving the kitchen cupboars/sink etc, the fireplaces are a great Britsish take on 'Art Deco'. When we bought our first house(c 1987) we saw plenty like yours over here in Derbyshire with pot sinks, tiled fireplaces even leaded windows, I liked them the good lady didn't so we didn't buy one:-(
Sadly many of these 1920-1940's home especially the Council ones have been gutted over several years of 'improvements'!
Just last year we saw the council ripping out pitch pine 4 panel doors complete with cast iron/ brass handled snap locks, I managed to bag two complete doors as we were one short in our house across the street so I got a spare lock too!
The wife's grandmother died also last year and her house was untouched from the 1950's and the new owners gutted it, so out came the leaded deco windows, the fully tiled deco bathroom and the 'English Rose' sheet metal kitchen cabinets that were made just after WW2 in the same factories that made Spitfires! so very sad!

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Dubya;1325769 Stairs from kitchen to bedrooms [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/stairsfromkitchen.jpg/ said:
stairsfromkitchen.jpg
[/URL]

Stairs from top of stairs "bedroom landing" to kitchen

Funny, over here we call those ladders, but they are usualy portable!

rue

Well, here is my vintage home. Built around 1648 but had alterations along the way.

It was one of three, but the other two were demolished at the beginning of the 20th century. Its detatched, and the front door used to be next to the window at the front............when the road was nothing but a track leading to open fields :)

Fantastic home Dubya! I can't imagine living in that wonderful piece of history.

I imagine that it must have been quite a job moving the bedroom furniture up those steep stairs and through the very narrow doorways. I do love the shots of the kitchen and the stairs showing the blend of old and new.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Kitchen view to front door

View from kitchen to living room

Living room view to kitchen and front door

Kitchen view to stairs

Bathroom

Conservatory

Main bedroom view to top of stairs and spare bedroom

The house contents might not be exactly vintage, but the house sure is! :D

Absolutely LOVE this!!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Dubya: What tickles me about your home, aside from just how elegant and cool it is, is the fact that during the "Golden Age" pseudo Tudor homes were SO popular. There were varying degrees of authenticity to say the least. Yours is unimpeachably authentic. So cool.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Thank you everyone for the very kind comments regarding my humble abode. :)
With regard to the stairs, they are indeed 'steep', and you only fall down them once! The fireplace was a bit tricky to get the hang of too when I first moved in. I didn't cut the logs up small enough (its a small fireplace), and the smoke created by the smouldering logs filled the house! The neighbours must have thought me nuts! It was -3c outside with a howling wind, and there I was with the front door and windows wide open, coughing my lungs up! :eusa_doh:

Also, I have a very short friend who is clairvoyant and on the run from the police............ She is in fact a small medium at large! :laugh:

Err....................*cough!*..................ahem!

Seriously though, I do have a friend who apparently 'sees spirits', and she tells me I have 3 spirits (ghosts) in the house.
Just a pity they don't help with the mortgage really..................:p

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Dubya - What a gorgeous home - it looks like something from Escape to the Country!

Esteban68 - Thank you! I feel the same pain as you when seeing beautiful original features being ripped out and put into a skip - well done you on salvaging some lovely pieces. I think I've said it here before but I hate seeing programmes like Homes Under the Hammer and you see beautiful coloured glass Victorian hall doors (in need of just a little TLC) being torn out and replaced with PVC ugliness. One of the worst examples was of a Victorian cast iron fireplace replaced by one of those pretend fire things that look like flat screen TVs - the owner reasoned that the old fireplace wouldn't look good with the new modern kitchen - ridiculous as I think both can go well together - you just need some imagination......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe