Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE This is my first and so-far only vintage tie. I really like the pattern:) Could any of you experts help me date it? I'm fairly sure it's vintage, because it is considerably shorter than any modern tie I've seen..in fact it is my only tie I can wear in a proper way, i.e. not too long with a four-in-hand. As far as I know, Tricel is some acetate stuff and has been invented in the 20/30s?QUOTE]
CIMG5434.jpg

Nice tie, old boy, but it actually appears to be from a much later date, judging from the label. Tricel sounds like a derivation of Triacetate, which was marketed in 1955.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
Nice tie, old boy, but it actually appears to be from a much later date, judging from the label. Tricel sounds like a derivation of Triacetate, which was marketed in 1955.

Thanks for the hint! I was guessing 50s myself just somehow, but I can't really say why[huh] . From what I've read in this thread, british ties did not have that much variety regarding witdh as american ties did, am I right on this one? Cheers for any help for the newbie;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Luke 42 said:
Thanks for the hint! I was guessing 50s myself just somehow, but I can't really say why[huh] . From what I've read in this thread, british ties did not have that much variety regarding witdh as american ties did, am I right on this one? Cheers for any help for the newbie;)

From what I know, British neckties did not have as much variety in width; the standard 3" appears to be the rule for most British neckwear from the 30s until the mid-50s. PM me if you'd like to receive a couple of free, handpainted, American Bold Look ties. Always happy to help a "newbie" with his tie collection.

Lee

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
What a wonderful tie box, Skeet!

Below is another 1920s tie box. (Yes, it really, truly is from the '20s. Came with its original '20s tie inside, too.) Interesting how 1960s "pop" and "psychedelic" advertising art was influenced by that earlier era ...

hatsetc001_edited-1.jpg

Yes, very much like pop and psychedelic art from the late 60s-early 70s. Reminds me of some of the comic book covers done by L.B. Cole for Star Publications in the early 50s. And that bottom tie!:eusa_clap

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
New York World's Fair Necktie

While viewing the contents of a single lot of ties on ebay, I spotted a portion of this in a photograph. I was hoping that it was the Real McCoy, and it was. I have never seen another vintage tie featuring the classic trylon and perisphere motif. Has anybody else seen one like this? Lee
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/1947studebaker/CCF04302009_00003.jpg?t=1241067788
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/1947studebaker/CCF04302009_00004.jpg?t=1241067550

Feraud

Bartender

Feraud

Bartender
You've found a real gem Widebrim. Enjoy it.

Here are a few ties. Submitted for your approval.
This first tie does not look like much but is very nice looking in person. The measurements are approx. 50 x 3 1/2".
DSC06934.jpg

The maroon houndstooth is attractive. Unfortunately there is no "G" in my name..
DSC06935.jpg

The next is a Beau Brummell.
49 x 4"
DSC06936.jpg

The final one is a Manhattan brand. 48 x 3 1/2". It is slightly stained and needs a pressing but I am confident it will clean up nicely.
DSC06937.jpg

I have a few more to post and did not forget about the Palm Beach ties!

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Doran said:
That's good. Oh, that's good. That, my good Quigley, is one ugly tie. I'd even spell it uggly for emphasis.
To the above referenced to which this quote refers; the tie depicts an elephant in negative with a riding rug on its back. Cheers and cheerio!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe