Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Feraud

Bartender
I like the vintage woven wool ties with unfinished ends.
This one is hand woven by the mountain people of New Mexico.
photo.jpg

Frykitty

Familiar Face
O.k so I have no experience with ties. I was one of my local thrift stores, and I usually only see what I would guess as ugly 80's ties. Yesterday I came across this one, I don't know what to look for but it seems old. Its in perfect shape, no flaws that I can see anywhere. Measures about 4' long. Could anyone tell me an aprox age? I've taken some pictures so I hope it helps. Thanks in advance.

ehcosar

ehcosar

http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/ehcosar/?action=view&current=Picture003.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
These are two great looking ties -
Marc Chevalier said:
The silk crepe tie at left was made in France. It's handpainted and dates to the early 1950s. The rayon tie at right was made in California of Hawaiian shirt fabric. It's from the early 1940s:

weightedsilk005.jpg

I am in the Love category for these.

Marc Chevalier said:
Woven wool ties -- folks either love 'em or hate 'em. (Does a picnic tablecloth come to mind?) Most were hand-loomed by Southwestern Native American tribes. These examples are from the 1930s and '40s:

weightedsilk007.jpg

weightedsilk008.jpg

weightedsilk009.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

The Elizans

Familiar Face
Can anyone help me date my ties?

Here is a personal favourite; a Beau Brummel All Silk tie with awesome 'art deco' ivy pattern. I guessed it's from the 40's- anyone here know any better?

It is printed on a fabic that has a woven pattern too- many of my other ties are like this.

tie1a.jpg

tie1.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
Its actually a wool knit kind of like the Palm Beach tie fabrics. The leather is there more as an accent. It needs a bit of work too. I might just replace it if it can't be reasonably mended.
Very nice. I hope it is salvageable.

Here is one I don't think I've posted before.
The vertical stripes and color combination say summertime to me.
DSC06855.jpg

DSC06853.jpg

I would say it is my favorite tie but I say that about all of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe