Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Crazy cotton-linen ties!

The one on the far left is a wacky Palm Beach tie!
PICT0003.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Great stuff resortes!

I could have guessed the repro tie – it has less taper!

Now about purple...as all you tie collectors can testify, it seems very common. Much more so than today. And rarely is it deep purple. It's purplishblue, purplishgray, or something close to U.S. Army officer pink.

My theory: It's a faded color. It didn't even exist then.
When new, these ties were shades of blue or grey.

It's like the Catalin colored plastics used in 30s radios. A blue or green one is worth thousands, because most "decayed" to more naturally stable amber shades.

I have a bunch of ties that I think would make LadyD very happy. I'll snap some. ;)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
My theory: It's a faded color. It didn't even exist then.
When new, these ties were shades of blue or grey.

I've also noticed alot of blue gabardine suits that have turned purple around the shoulders due to fading. However, would a tie fade evenly? Would'nt the fade be concentrated closer around the knot and face of the tie while the neck and back portions retain their original hue?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"New" mostly '30s ties.

Hampden is vintage clothes land. Unfortunately 95 percent of it is womens, 3 percent of the mens didn't it me, 1 percent was to ugly to bother with, and the 1 percent that fit and I liked cost more than I was willing to spend.

But after quite a lot of digging, I did manage to find some ties.
IMG_2897.jpg

I've never worn a bow tie in my life, but this one looked pretty cool, and it was cheap. So- today I get to figure out how to tie the darn thing.
IMG_2898.jpg

here's the other tie I liked. I thought it was just an abstract when I bought it, but looking at it in the car, I realized it was floral. Cool!
IMG_2896.jpg

and a vintage Maryland state trooper tie clip.

I also found a '30's? silver collar bar in the bargain bin at an antique store. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the darn thing to photograph, so use your imagination.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
All the stores are along 36th street. (the avenue)
You cant miss it, just look for the big flamingo on the Cafe Hon.
All the antique stores have vintage clothes. Avenue Antiques has 2 entire floors of clothes, but you have to dig.
IMG_2316.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those are really nice BK. I have a hard time finding ties I like here in the city and even a harder time finding good bow ties that will fit my neck.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The thrift stores in this town suck. I haven't found any decent ties in over a year. I did get a box of them from my mom...in Iowa...for Christmas, but they were either 1930s or 1970s...nothing inbetween.:(

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tie materials

I know traditionally all good ties are pure silk...

But here we see silk and linen... and this mix is back in vogue - I see a few on the landsend.com site.

I have a few Italian jobs (les Copains - Zegna factory Gant etc) that are cotton and linen and I like the weight and fold of them.

What do you fellow lounge lizards think is the best?

Is there really a best? Are the acetate and 40s synthetics good? I have a few from the op shops that are interesting knock-offs of silk.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
ties and envy

Baron Kurtz said:
. . . are vicious, evil Gods. As soon as you mention that you hate something, they come along in bucketloads. From a thrift store yesterday (I also got a whole pile of ties i like from the 20s/30s/40s):

TartanTies2.jpg

TartanTies1.jpg

Around the clock:

1: plaid

2: Hunting Fraser

4: MacBeth

5: Weir

7: MacMillan

9: Calhoun

11: Unnamed

All the named ones are Botany brand and 1930s. I guess this chap REALLY liked his tartans, eh?

bk

p.s. If the Gods are listening: I REALLY, REALLY HATE STEAMER TRUNKS PACKED WITH MINT CONDITION 30s SUITS IN MY SIZE, NEXT TO STEAMER TRUNKS PACK WITH SAME IN VERY LARGE SIZES. LET'S JUST SAY THAT 8 SUCH STEAMER TRUNKS WOULD REALLY ANNOY ME.

Causing intentional pain to a fellow lounger is called sadism.

Tickling and teasing is even more painful ...please cease and desist immeedjetly!!!!!

no intentional taunting meant.

As for material, i have a deep love of woolen ties. I have ones from the 30s that are thin weave woolens (like those tartan ones of ill repute). Botany tended to make a lot of woolen ties. There is a particular type of horrid fabric that was used for ties back in the day. It's hard, it's scratchy and feels horrible to the touch . . . but it ties a truly wonderful knot. I'd *love* to find out what those ties are made of. I don't want to burn test one of my ties, but it might end up that that's the only way i'll find out.

bk

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
i have one old tie that I believe is acetate. It's a beautiful but it's so slick and slippery, it's nearly impossible to tie. It's the blue and red one with the insane jaquard pattern almost dead center. Nice tie. Hard to do up. My girlfriend would like me to warn her in advance when I'll be attempting to put that tie on (so she can escape to somewhere out of earshot).

ties2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally