Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hexenmeister said:
I just received the new bow tie I ordered from Ellie, at The Cordial Churchman. She hand makes them to order and I got mine in about a week.

I wanted a somewhat more casual bow tie than the black butterfly tie I bought recently, so I opted for the blue chambray batwing. I am very pleased with the tie and the quality feels excellent, to my fingers. I'll certainly be ordering from Ellie again in the future. ^_^

DSC00355-2.jpg

Looks good on you. If you don't mind me asking, how much generally does she charge?

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
Looks good on you. If you don't mind me asking, how much generally does she charge?

$26 across the board. Plus get to choose the style of bow tie you'd like.

Classic Butterfly (2 3/8")
Fat Butterfly (2 1/2")
Narrow Butterfly (2 1/4")
Diamond Point (2 1/4")
Straight/Batwing (1 3/4")

I opted for the batwing style on mine. It's also completely adjustable with a strap rather than the little t-bar with holes.

While I'm at it, what's the best way to care for a cotton tie? I'm guessing dry cleaning, but what about post-wearing wrinkles? Can I iron it or steam it?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hexenmeister said:
$26 across the board. Plus get to choose the style of bow tie you'd like.

Classic Butterfly (2 3/8")
Fat Butterfly (2 1/2")
Narrow Butterfly (2 1/4")
Diamond Point (2 1/4")
Straight/Batwing (1 3/4")

I opted for the batwing style on mine. It's also completely adjustable with a strap rather than the little t-bar with holes.

While I'm at it, what's the best way to care for a cotton tie? I'm guessing dry cleaning, but what about post-wearing wrinkles? Can I iron it or steam it?

You can iron it, but make sure that the setting on the iron is on cotton, and that there is a damp cloth between the tie and the iron.

I'll get some better pics, including the label - which does not seem like a teens label, let me tell you! Can't say fairer than that.

jamespowers said:
Hmmmmm. I think you actually have a Tech tie there from the early teens or so. I never thought I would actually see one in decent condition but I think you have one there. :eusa_clap
Does the knot look like a four in hand? The bottom looks square from the pictures. That would all fit. Pretied neckties were popular since the inception of the modern necktie as there were at least a hundred possible knots developed and some felt overwhelmed by the choices and their abilities. ;) I am guessing you knew about most of that though. :D

I picked up the one that was in the vintage shop in London. Less pricey than I remember, at £8. Still a lot, but for such a tie … [huh]

Anyway, it is blue tones with some cream contrast. It's not quite the same. More of a "standard" bird plumage rather any kind of stylised tropical bird feather. Made of similar foulard fabric to yours, but label says "A Debonaire Cravatte". It seems to be from the early 1930s. I'll get some pics up sometime.

Feraud said:
Nice.. me likes! :eusa_clap

That is an excellent lot shared by Baron Kurtz and thunderw21!
Speaking of Cheney Cravats (mentioned by thunderw21...) here is a new favorite of mine.
Cheney "Bird Plumage" model -
DSC08359.jpg

DSC08360.jpg

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
You can iron it, but make sure that the setting on the iron is on cotton, and that there is a damp cloth between the tie and the iron.

I have a pressing cloth I use to iron my good shirts, would that work as well?

And going back to The Cordial Churchman, you can even send her a neck tie, and she will make it into a bow tie. I think it costs about the same as all the other ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken