Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I picked me up both of these for under $50 at a garage sale today.

WW1 German sawback and late-WW2 Japanese.
bayonets001.jpg

The blades are over a foot long! The Japanese is extremely crude, pretty much just a sharpened slab of steel with a handle attached.
bayonets002.jpg

The saw.
bayonets003.jpg

I bought this non-matching 1943-dated German bayonet and scabbard for $30 a couple years ago.
Germanbayonet.jpg

Germanbayonet3-1.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
no pictures, but picked up a vintage wooden leather covered desk and chair, a wooden art deco-ish ash tray (stands on floor), a 1920's cast iron fan. When I got home, my Aunt had brought over a vintage (1964) G.I. Joe, still in the box, that belonged to my late Grandmother. Mom told me that she had purchased it when my Uncle had joined the military.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pyrography Storage Case

Here's an interesting piece I picked up a couple weeks ago at the Charity Sale. I posted questions about the item here along with more pictures.

Vintage Betty

pyrography2.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
thunderw21, those are pretty amazing purchases!

freebird, the things sound great! What can you tell us about the desk and chair?

Not a whole lot I'm afraid. It was a student sized desk from the mid 50's from what I'm told. I need to go pick it up, as my brother has it in storage. I purchased it sight unseen.

freebird

Practically Family
2298.jpg

Had one of these already, mine has a hole punched in it for use as a necklace or watch fob perhaps. Just picked another one up (not this exact one, but one just like it) on an antique store's website. The reverse side says that it is "a sample of the aluminum in the new Union Pacific train-built by Pullman Car & Mfg. Corp." then has the ALCOA shield, with "Aluminum Co. of America".

freebird

Practically Family
planning on picking up the desk this weekend. On the way to my appointment this afternoon, I stopped by an estate sale and found a vintage desk lamp, and 2 old books. The books are "Farm Festivals" by Will Carleton dated 1898, and "The F.B.I." by Quentin Reynolds with this one being dedicated to his grandchild "Stephen Humphrey Bogart" dated 1954.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Please don't hate me. I spotted this at Goodwill about a week and a half ago. I didn't buy it then because I knew they would put it on sale at week 22. At the time week 20 was on sale. Well I heard on the radio that the whole store was on sale today so I snatched it up. I am in love. (It was $29.94 and yes that decimal point in in the correct place.)

l_41208bd122748b6a25b5c4e9d1a34439.jpg

It's marked inside a Basset the same brand as my buffet and matches my other furniture perfectly. I'm guessing it had sliding doors on the top part at some point. I'll never even miss 'em. And no I will not be using this for my TV. ;)

Interesting anecdote one of the guys who loaded it into the truck said it had been there about a month. He said "It's an antique." I replied with "Oh I know." He said he wanted to buy it himself. Oh well, beat ya to it.

Vintage Betty

Amy Jeanne said:
L1010752.jpg

$30 for the pair.
Aside from some design fading around the top edge, they're in perfect condition.

Amy, I usually don't like yellow house items *at all* but I think those chairs are beyond cute. I actually smiled when I saw them! Good for you!

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1937 Woman's Leather Varsity Jacket

This was a gift from the family I helped with the house cleaning. I can't even find one online to compare if it's common or rare!?

varsity1.JPG
varsity2.JPG

varsity3.JPG
varsity4.JPG

It fits me! :eusa_clap Anyone know about repairing or restoring the leather and knitted parts? I'm not quite sure what to do.

varsity5.JPG
varsity7.JPG

varsity6.JPG

freebird

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
This was a gift from the family I helped with the house cleaning. I can't even find one online to compare if it's common or rare!?

varsity1.JPG
varsity2.JPG

varsity3.JPG
varsity4.JPG

It fits me! :eusa_clap Anyone know about repairing or restoring the leather and knitted parts? I'm not quite sure what to do.

varsity5.JPG
varsity7.JPG

varsity6.JPG

I still have my letterman's jacket (lettered in Band) from 1981, it needs a little repair work, but is ok. Check the inside of the pockets to see if there is a name embroidered inside. Mine is embroidered in yellow on a piece of cloth matching the body of the jacket . Mine is just my first initial and full surname. I don't recall whether it has a year anywhere on it or not.

Your jacket appears to be older than mine,but maybe the name tag will be there. Anyway it's a place to start.
Tony

Vintage Betty

freebird said:
I still have my letterman's jacket (lettered in Band) from 1981, it needs a little repair work, but is ok. Check the inside of the pockets to see if there is a name embroidered inside. Mine is embroidered in yellow on a piece of cloth matching the body of the jacket . Mine is just my first initial and full surname. I don't recall whether it has a year anywhere on it or not.

Your jacket appears to be older than mine,but maybe the name tag will be there. Anyway it's a place to start.
Tony

Thank you! It's a 1937 Woman's Varsity Letterman Jacket, given to Ann B. for being on the Woman's Basketball team. I was given the jacket by her (grown) children.

Her full name is embroidered on the inside of the jacket; there is no lining.

Any idea of how to repair the knitted cuffs or leather?

freebird

Practically Family
Checked my jacket in hopes of finding a tag identifying the makers, unfortunately it is so faded that even a magnifying glass doesn't help much. I did make out that they were located in Memphis Tennessee. Did a google search and came up with Gordon International, you might contact them and see what they recommend. Let me know how it goes! I think I'm going to contact them as well, I'd like for my HS jacket to be restored, the lining is tearing as are the pockets. I think mine also needs the cuffs repaired/replaced as well.
Tony

Miss 1929

Vintage Betty said:
Any idea of how to repair the knitted cuffs or leather?

They make replacement knitted cuffs, I have seen them in good sewing stores! And the leather is probably really dry, it should be treated with a leather preservative, which they have in shoe repair places, or even Mink oil will do the trick.

Very cool jacket! I don't think I have ever seen one from the 30s before!

lyburnum

Practically Family
Some things from the charity shop today:

1950s Bathroom Scales - £2
IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Eames style 45 holder
IMG_1393.jpg

Lots of vintage 45s, 25p each
IMG_1395.jpg

WWII Newspapers - £1 each
IMG_1402.jpg