Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Macheath

One of the Regulars
I like it. I think an orphaned brown pinstripe would a actually be easier to pull off than a blue one, since it's less formal. Blue also seems trickier because it's seen as the traditional "business" color.

Worth a trip to the tailor to see if they can help, at least.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso is right. The jacket is an inch or two too short in the pictures. If the tailor can find a bit more length somehow, that's a very nice jacket.

carter

I'll Lock Up
This one's a work in progress. I picked up this Wickets by Southwick cream colored linen suit at a thrift store for $24.99. It's single-breasted, 3 rolled to the 2, non-vented.
I normally wear a 50R and the coat needs to be shortened 2" in the body and the sleeves. The pants fit just fine in the waist and the length. The previous owner had a long torso and long arms (35-36") with comparatively short legs (30" inseam).
3519533167_a3a0847c57.jpg
3519554495_a48ae45318.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A little LONGBEACH number...

Picked this baby up in a second hand shop in Long Beach, Ca. whilst on a Sunday afternoon's walk with Cary. It's still light enough to wear on a Spring day here in the UK. Nice little 40's 2 piece DB.

DSCN0558.jpg

DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN0564.jpg

Macheath

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Tomasso is right. The jacket is an inch or two too short in the pictures. If the tailor can find a bit more length somehow, that's a very nice jacket.

My tailor always surprises me in finding extra material where I never thought anyone could.

A little over an inch would make it wearable, IMO. If your body proportions favors slightly shorter jackets, even more so.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice one..!

I do like a nice sports' jacket, and this one looks well on you!! I have a houndstooth one which I just love and gets loads of wear time!

DSCF0848.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
PADDY said:
I do like a nice sports' jacket, and this one looks well on you!! I have a houndstooth one which I just love and gets loads of wear time!

DSCF0848.jpg
thank you, wow i almost forgot i had even posted that. That was my first suit jacket of any kind, i usually wear it with a sweater vest or something.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Today, I was magically dragged to one of the few shops in Prague where they sell older suits (mostly 70´s). I came in and what did I see?

This:

DSCF8948.jpg

Being made of wool-polyesther blend, most of you would probably loathe it, but since there is a very limited choice and it cost only about 18 dollars...

The only problem I see are the pants, they are typically 70´s and I don´t really like it. I don´t know how is this style called in english, but here is a picture of what I mean - look at how narrow they are around knees and wide at the bottom. I´ll probably take them to the tailor and let him try to narrow the bottom too and shorten them. (Yes, I was able to find an old suit fitting my 195 cm height with a large reserve!)

DSCF8943.jpg

Now the fit:

DSCF8933.jpg
DSCF8936.jpg

And just by the way, I took this jacket for 3 bucks. Very modern looking, with blue and pink pinstripes, probably pure wool:

DSCF8942.jpg

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
JACKET LENGTH

Lefty said:
I picked up this orphaned jacket at a thrift store today. At first, my intention was simply to post it for sale here. After trying it on, however, I'm wondering if it might be possible to have it tailored to fit me. I've never started with something this small. What do you think? Can it be done? As discussed in the blue DB question, does wearing this as an odd jacket even make sense?

First, a little background.
DSC_0049.jpg

Union tag
DSC_0046.jpg

Found in the pockets:
DSC_0050.jpg

Ohio tax stamps were used between 35 and 62.
DSC_0057.jpg

Then a few details

lining
partial, pit guards (and stains)
DSC_0041.jpg

non-working cuffs, but interesting stitching
DSC_0036.jpg

Fit (I didn't dress differently for the photos, this is what I was wearing.)
small, missing button, but replacement inside
DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

the flared lapel is just a result of the thrift store, not fit
DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Whatto Sir,

Errrrrrr........
I can't actually see anything wrong with the length of this jacket on you, in fact it looks perfect in the pics.
Have you heard of "Bum-Freezers" ?
This jacket is approx 4 inches longer than the "Bum-Freezer" style.
If it was any longer it would be getting into the realms of the "Zoot-Suit" and would look wrong with seperate trousers.
Just a thought....

Toodleoo
HH

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
JACKET LENGTH

Coincidentally, I compared a 1970's suit jacket to an original 1940's jacket, of the same chest size, last night, and the 70's one came up a good 3 inches longer than the 40's one. I believe it is the correct length for a 40's jacket, lengthen it and you will lose the vintage look.
Just my opinion.

Toodleoo
HH

benstephens

Practically Family
donCarlos said:
Today, I was magically dragged to one of the few shops in Prague where they sell older suits (mostly 70´s). I came in and what did I see?

This:

DSCF8948.jpg

Being made of wool-polyesther blend, most of you would probably loathe it, but since there is a very limited choice and it cost only about 18 dollars...

The only problem I see are the pants, they are typically 70´s and I don´t really like it. I don´t know how is this style called in english, but here is a picture of what I mean - look at how narrow they are around knees and wide at the bottom. I´ll probably take them to the tailor and let him try to narrow the bottom too and shorten them. (Yes, I was able to find an old suit fitting my 195 cm height with a large reserve!)

DSCF8943.jpg

Now the fit:

DSCF8933.jpg
DSCF8936.jpg

And just by the way, I took this jacket for 3 bucks. Very modern looking, with blue and pink pinstripes, probably pure wool:

DSCF8942.jpg

When we were in Prague, we went into a fairly good vintage clothing shop. I know a few people bought some items. A lot of little odds n sods in there as well.

Ben

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
donCarlos said:
I'd imagine a good tailor could alter the pants to look "normal". I think the suit looks good, and will look even better with those trouser flares eliminated.

Also, love the second jacket. Nice find!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
A new...

...non vintage suit I got recently on-line. Being 6'4", hunting vintage is pretty much a waste of time for me. On the good side, I was able to buy two pair of pants with it.

Generally I wear sportcoats to work, so this is to wear just for fun.

misc2009002_edited.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Picked this baby up in a second hand shop in Long Beach, Ca. whilst on a Sunday afternoon's walk with Cary. It's still light enough to wear on a Spring day here in the UK. Nice little 40's 2 piece DB.

DSCN0558.jpg

DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN0564.jpg

By baby, i will assume you meant the suit. Too bad.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Howard Hughes said:
Coincidentally, I compared a 1970's suit jacket to an original 1940's jacket, of the same chest size, last night, and the 70's one came up a good 3 inches longer than the 40's one. I believe it is the correct length for a 40's jacket, lengthen it and you will lose the vintage look.
Just my opinion.

Toodleoo
HH

You may be right. The length may only look long due to long arms. if it wre a whole suit, I would say it would be easier to pull off. With contrasting pants, a little harder. I would have to see the whole body to be able to judge for sure.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I have very long arms and I'm 6'1", so the skirt of the jacket does need to be a bit longer to look proportionate.

This is a Suit I bought about a year ago for a homecoming dance. The suit is a Land's End that I bought at Goodwill for 7 bucks. The shirt was 5 bucks at Steve and Barry's. The are my dress shoes for finer occasions and more formal times at work, the argyles were a Christmas Gift, and the Fedora was a gift from my dad.

myjunknstuff009.jpg

myjunknstuff010.jpg

myjunknstuff011.jpg

myjunknstuff012.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe