Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I didn't mean to offend. [huh] Its just hard for us larger frame guys to imagine losing 4 inches in the chest and gaining a few inches at the waist. ;) :p At 6', 200 pounds (average guy), I doubt I'll likely ever see a size 40 jacket again.:p

No offense taken, larger frame, average guy.
It was just a jolt of ugly reality for you.

B
T

RobStC

A-List Customer
As my first input to the FL, I have to say that I would kill (metaphorically speaking, of course!) for a suit like the three piece that Marc is wearing in this picture..... the whole ensemble so elegant and perfectly composed.

And thanks for all the inspiration everyone in the Lounge has provided over the last month or so, all of you: too many names to mention...... It's a superb resource and I feel very comfortable here (it's the first forum I've ever signed up to).

PADDY said:
Not sure if this was ever posted, as I've just stumbled upon it [huh] But this was me with Marc and Scott on the good ship Queen Mary on Long Beach, Ca.

In their well balanced ensembles, both Marc and Scott looked 'outstanding!!'

DSCN0459.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
I actually just saved that picture for reference...Scott has preciesly the look that I'm going for this summer.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
Not sure if this was ever posted, as I've just stumbled upon it [huh] But this was me with Marc and Scott on the good ship Queen Mary on Long Beach, Ca.

DSCN0459.jpg

You don't look so bad yaself, Padraic. I still think the head shaved down to the #0 made you look cooler ... more dangerous ...

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:

DSCN0459.jpg
You know, when I see a modern movie that is supposed to be set in the Golden Era (or any other period of the past), somehow they rarely get the look just right. Sometimes close, but rarely perfect. Yet these three fellows actually look like they stepped right out of the past, and that's quite impressive.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Welcome RobStC...

I must agree with you here. I discovered FL in March and its like being in hat and vintage style hog heaven!! So go ahead and jump, don't step into the FL pool, the water is fine... glad you're with us all.

RobStC said:
And thanks for all the inspiration everyone in the Lounge has provided over the last month or so, all of you: too many names to mention...... It's a superb resource and I feel very comfortable here (it's the first forum I've ever signed up to).

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
absolutely FABULOUS!!

Paddy my dear, you're killing me here! Don't sell yourself short next to Marc and Scott- all three of you look terrific! We're hoping to make the Art Deco Society of LA's QM trip on Labor Day weekend. Will there be another FL trip in the Fall?? Will you be there?

I've said it before, but WOW, being here reading and writing posts, and seeing all these great pics of FLmembers (especially the very handsome men;) ) in their glorious vintage duds is the BEST!

PADDY said:
Not sure if this was ever posted, as I've just stumbled upon it [huh] But this was me with Marc and Scott on the good ship Queen Mary on Long Beach, Ca. In their well balanced ensembles, both Marc and Scott looked 'outstanding!!'

DSCN0459.jpg

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Please excuse the poor camera phone picture quality. I found a vest to go with my suit. It doesn't match the suit fabric, but I think I like it better this way and it fits reasonably well considering. Being a newer vest it's longer than I would prefer, though not as long as some I've seen. I may shorten it a little eventually. The top of my trousers are actually nearer to the second from the bottom button on the vest. I really need a fedora!

0503091423a2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Lamplight said:
Please excuse the poor camera phone picture quality. I found a vest to go with my suit. It doesn't match the suit fabric, but I think I like it better this way and it fits reasonably well considering. Being a newer vest it's longer than I would prefer, though not as long as some I've seen. I may shorten it a little eventually. The top of my trousers are actually nearer to the second from the bottom button on the vest. I really need a fedora!

0503091423a2.jpg

Looks solid to me!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:

DSCN0459.jpg

I remember seeing all three of you gents at the QM event in those dapper ensembles. And what's solid, is that you have three different complexions showcased here (if the exposure is correct), with each one being complimented by the wearer's suit. Well done!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
a GREAT observation Widebrim...

and so true. Each man has on what really looks good style-wise AND color-wise for HIM.

Widebrim said:
And what's solid, is that you have three different complexions showcased here (if the exposure is correct), with each one being complimented by the wearer's suit. Well done!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Good look . . .

resortes805 said:

I've always secretly wanted to attempt the open collar look with a double breasted suit, but have been nervous about bucking the suit status quo. I think the trick to pulling the look off is wearing a shirt with an exceedingly prodigious collar to correlate with the peaked lapels on the suit.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Guttersnipe said:
I've always secretly wanted to attempt the open collar look with a double breasted suit, but have been nervous about bucking the suit status quo. I think the trick to pulling the look off is wearing a shirt with an exceedingly prodigious collar to correlate with the peaked lapels on the suit.

You are absolutely right.. I have worn same on occasion. I always thought of it as a period correct thing, but I suppose it is a matter of proportion as well. In fact, there is a reason it was worn that way then. Not common, but from photos I have seen, it is always a similar collar. I dare say, it generally would need to be a convertible collar with a wide late thirties lapel.

Or, a band collar, if you are rocking a really carefully crafted, guy who has had a long night of partying, circa 1940, coming home to his manhattan penthouse.

I think your choice of a later, bold look suit, if I am correct, is a good one. yet, the look can work with a trim late thirties, early forties look too. A little different, but both good.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I picked up this orphaned jacket at a thrift store today. At first, my intention was simply to post it for sale here. After trying it on, however, I'm wondering if it might be possible to have it tailored to fit me. I've never started with something this small. What do you think? Can it be done? As discussed in the blue DB question, does wearing this as an odd jacket even make sense?

First, a little background.
DSC_0049.jpg

Union tag
DSC_0046.jpg

Found in the pockets:
DSC_0050.jpg

Ohio tax stamps were used between 35 and 62.
DSC_0057.jpg

Then a few details

lining
partial, pit guards (and stains)
DSC_0041.jpg

non-working cuffs, but interesting stitching
DSC_0036.jpg

Fit (I didn't dress differently for the photos, this is what I was wearing.)
small, missing button, but replacement inside
DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

the flared lapel is just a result of the thrift store, not fit
DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe