Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

mister7

Familiar Face
Mike, if you are going to carry a carabiner with your vintage clothes you might look around for an older one. The shape on that is a dead giveaway as modern gear. Perhaps an old Bonatti or somesuch. I have never looked for such an item but I bet one could be had to complete the ensemble. Very nice looking suit!

MS

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
redtie2.jpg

Some weight has been lost recently and I can fit into my dad's old suit better now. I have a hard time getting the camera to pick up on what the fabric actually looks like; it's kind of a dark navy with negligible red and blue stripes. I'm just messing around with the shirt and tie.

Now if only I had a reason to wear it.

Travis

Suspended
Jack Scorpion said:
redtie2.jpg

Some weight has been lost recently and I can fit into my dad's old suit better now. I have a hard time getting the camera to pick up on what the fabric actually looks like; it's kind of a dark navy with negligible red and blue stripes. I'm just messing around with the shirt and tie.

Now if only I had a reason to wear it.

It looks sharp. Do you need any reason to wear it better than that?

Kal Kylen

New in Town
Although not Golden Era, I thought I would share these pictures with you. I had a photo shoot on Sunday in an old Stately Home near where I live called Croxteth Hall, in which the emphasis was on Victorian clothes. The suit I am wearing is all from my collection and all original so I am quite proud of it!

costume2.jpg

Courtesy of Alexander Petricca

costume1.jpg

Peter J Henderson and his amazing Penny Farthing which he claims that over 30,000 people have sat on! You can visit his website here ' Penny Farthing Times '

Jovan

Suspended
Kal... that is completely and totally awesome, for the record. Loving the imperial collar in particular. Our own Magnoli has a celluloid collar like that.

Two questions:
1. How did you find all those original pieces?
2. Can you make patterns for them so we can finally get reproductions that look correct? :p

GBR

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Funnily enough, jackets of this era are the only ones i've consistently been able to find patterns for. There are free ones on t'internets.

bk

Do you have the URL please?

Jovan

Suspended
Feraud said:
No big deal. I edited out the obscene language.
Perhaps you attempted to so do afterwards?
I typed it that way to begin with. [huh] I was attempting to convey my joy at seeing Victorian attire, but I'll keep what you said about starring out words in mind.

GBR said:
Elaina sent me this link when I referred her to those pictures and told how I wish I had a pattern made from an original. www.lafnmoon.com

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan, I clarified the point in p.m. You did see the p.m, didn't you?
Jovan said:
I typed it that way to begin with. [huh] I was attempting to convey my joy at seeing Victorian attire, but I'll keep what you said about starring out words in mind.

Back to topic. Who is going to be the first to have a Victorian frock coat reproduced?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
Back to topic. Who is going to be the first to have a Victorian frock coat reproduced?
I have been wanting to do this for a while. There are a few sites offering reproductions.
Some of the English chaps I've met on MySpace wear them very well.
It would be a challenge for me, but I feel up to it. ;)

Jovan

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
What does it matter whether it causes a stir here? You seriously care what a bunch of random folks on the internet think about your wardrobe choices?

If you want one...get or make one.
It seems there are certain people here who poo-poo reproductions or do-it-yourself clothing. [huh] I was just joking, really.

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
I have been wanting to do this for a while. There are a few sites offering reproductions.
Some of the English chaps I've met on MySpace wear them very well.
It would be a challenge for me, but I feel up to it. ;)
Go for it! I love Victorian Era clothes. Frock coats, top hats, canes, vests, thick watch chains, etc.

Tomasso said:
:eek:fftopic: Where are you sitting in your avatar, Feraud?
A rooftop bar..230 Fifth Avenue I believe. The place has an amazing view.

GBR said:

If you're (that is, everyone here, including the person quoted) into this era of menswear, and vintage menswear in general, you should know this site. Many resources going back to the Victorian era and earlier. I'm pretty sure there's a frock coat pattern in there somewhere.

http://www.costumes.org/History/100pages/mensfashhist.htm

one the other point. Jovan, original frock coats are not too difficult to come across in many sizes. You may need to replace the silk facing, but they're usually sound otherwise.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82