Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Here's another you've all seen before, but on the crappy mannequin. I can't take credit for the colour combination; i'm just copying a picture from 1932 Apparel Arts. Light brown herringbone tweed from the early 40s with a sage green Stetson Playboy, green Congo brand plaid tie and deadstock (foot killer - just breakin 'em in) 30s shoes.

SBHbone.jpg

bk

Here's the suit i got from Bertie Wooster last week. Dated 23-3-54, a wonderful British tweed, proving how hard it is to date a suit by cut alone. This cut would have been seen at all times between the 30s and 60s. I shortened the legs a tad - without trimming off any fabric, of course.

Here's the fabric of the suit; A double windowpane in white and blue on top of a standard light-ish brown tweed (light colour, that is, this is super heavy fabric).

WoosterSuit1.jpg

And here's how it looks on. I think i got the legs to a good length, eh? As always the arms are too long, but there's plenty fabric to shorten 'em.

BertieWoosterTweed1.jpg

And do you like high waisted trousers? I certainly do, and these are a pair of lower rib huggers!

BertieWoosterTweed2.jpg

The classic British back to the trousers:

BertieWoosterTweed3.jpg

Looking at the pic above, i should say that for some reason i dopped my right shoulder. The legs really do both end at the same point of the shoe (note the left one looks shorter in the last image). Whoops, i need a haircut, too.

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Beautiful suit! I love how "Duke of Windsor" your whole wardrobe is! Definitely fits you very well! Those pants look awesome- That's really high in the back...practically overalls! The curve of the shape and the roll of the lapel are beautiful! The fabric looks like something my Uncle had sourced for his DC Design line, although I'm sure yours is much heavier.
I also like the brown suede shoes- are they vintage?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
They remind me of a 20s suspenders ad and that one picture of William Powell from one of the Thin Man sequels...oh, nostalgia. Also, I like how the shirt doesn't bellow out right at the front like it would with a lower rise (seeing as it is a 2 piece suit). I don't think I'd like to wear pants that high my nipples would be chafed. But aesthetically, they'd work well with a high cut waistcoat.

Jovan

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
I agree. Nothing is worse-looking than a "shirt gap" between the bottom of a vest and the top of a waistband. Unfortunately, both Ralph Lauren and even some British designers are promoting this "gap."

Really? All the trousers I've seen from RL, at least from Purple Label, look high enough. You may also consider that they just wear them that way for a shoot or runways. Thom Browne's stuff, when worn in the right size, doesn't look nearly as asinine as you see in the media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken