Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Mr. Rover said:
CIMG7391.jpg

Love that fabric. Reminds me of a 1930s british one i have.

Purple3.jpg

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Congratulations, Ray! Those suits looks terrific on you!

The one in the photo below suits you (pun intended) perfectly. The jacket's length is exactly right for your height, and the silhouette really complements your physique.

In terms of proportions (width and shape of shoulders and lapels, cut of trousers, etc.), it's an 'ideal' double-breasted suit shape for you. It can be used as a yardstick for any future DB suits you find (or have made).

CIMG7380.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thanks everbody for your wonderful compliments!
Any idea of dating the gray suit? The wide shoulder pads made me want to say late 40s or 50s, but the cut is much higher. Could this be from that '46-'47 (correct me if I'm wrong) high-cut resurgence that Marc has mentioned?
BK, the fabric on my suit is actually bluer than the picture's show. The second picture is probably the most accurate.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Mr. Rover said:
Any idea of dating the gray suit?

A tough one. It has some American and British details to it, which make it harder to date. My guess is late '40s or maybe early '50s, due to the fact that the shoulders were so padded. (In general, earlier DBs had less shoulder padding.) The high "v" closure on the jacket might date it at 1947-'48 (U.S.A.), or it might show the suit to be British. (The Brits continued to do high "v"s into the 1960s!)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Congratulations, Ray! Those suits looks terrific on you!

The one in the photo below suits you (pun intended) perfectly. The jacket's length is exactly right for your height, and the silhouette really complements your physique.

In terms of proportions (width and shape of shoulders and lapels, cut of trousers, etc.), it's an 'ideal' double-breasted suit shape for you. It can be used as a yardstick for any future DB suits you find (or have made).

CIMG7380.jpg

Thanks, Marc! I had a feeling this was going to be one of my favorite suits! If it's cool enough, I think I'll wear it tomorrow.

Jovan

Suspended
I like it, though I think the width between the inner buttons could be lessened a touch to suit your physique. Your shirt cuffs are coming down a bit much, too. Showing cuff is always advised, but as they say, less is more. That's all I got. :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
DSC01460.jpg

This suit's buttons are placed a little closer- the widest the tailor would go. It may just be me (or the narrowish lapels or lack of linen), and I dress relatively conservatively, but it just looks boring...
Compared that to this jacket (not a 6x2 I will admit)
This is my only other 4x1...I quite like the cut on this one too.
CIMG4607.jpg

Strangely, the blue blazer and the gray suit are the only jackets that have never needed to have the body taken in.

At the end of the day, they're just different styles..

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ray, you look terribly handsome. I want to ask you for your autograph!

I'm very surprised that all you bright lads didn't notice the single white collar on my ladies silk Lilli Ann suit. Guesses anyone?

I am now sure that the pic I posted is very disjointed. My heels are about two inches higher, and I'm taller too and about 4 sizes less than the photo. Hmmm...

I think I saw someone ask how many vintage suits we all have.

I have upwards of 60 suits, with about half of those vintage, and the remainder being vintage jackets or reproduction vintage for the most part. You don't want to know how many other accessory items I have to match....

Vintage Betty

slicedbread

A-List Customer
I spose I'll go ahead and post an older pic...This was at some underground caverns in San Antonio, Texas...I figured that it would be cold all the way down there....Instead, it was both hot and terribly humid. Lucky for me I don't sweat much...
*edit* by the way, to the left is my brother...as you can see, we were pulling off the sweetest poses of all time...*edit*
HPIM1493.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a lot of suits Betty - you sure fit in here, all right! lol And if the Lilli Ann suit is anything to go by, it's a spectacular collection indeed. I noticed the single collar, but have no guess as to why there's only one!

:eek:fftopic: I don;t know how, but when I was 23 I had a photo taken of me for a work ID badge, and I turned out looking ten years older and 20 pounds heavier! :eek: People still don't believe it was me in that photo!

Ray, great to see those suits went to an appreciative home. You look like you were born to wear suits like those.

Some of these (that i'll post in the next couple of days) have appeared before in previous thread, but only bad photos on a cruddy manequin.

Here (below) the suit that goes along with this fabric:

BrownPlaid.jpg

The jacket is a bit short, but not so short to be a bum-freezer. The shoulders are perfect at 16" across the top and the arms are a great length. The fabric is a light spring/summer weight, probably 10-11 Oz. Ain't had it pressed yet (storage for 8 months, just out of vacuum pack), as the wrinkles attest.

BrownPlaid2.jpg

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken