Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Interesting. I had a feeling its style looked older, but I've never owned a dinner jacket this old, so I have nothing to go off. Yes, the double button is interesting. Is that particular to a certain period, or is it just a tailor's style?

It's the fitted single breasted high peak lapel look that says late '20s/'30s to me. I've seen the double button thing as late as 1955, in the movie "Guys and Dolls".

birkie

Familiar Face
1930s Learbury suit from thrift store

Earlier this week, I found an excellent double-breasted Learbury suit (manufactured in Syracuse, NY) at a local thrift store. Dark charcoal with pinstripes. I could not find any wear or flaws except for some discoloration of the cotton pocket and fly lining inside the trousers - even the underarm lining was pristine! I would guess that it could be from the early to mid '30s as it has a button fly, is trim fitting, has flat-front trousers, and skeleton lining. No union tags. Cost $16.99

Here is the overview. The trousers have a 29.5" inseam, and I'm usually a 32. There is about 1.5" of hem left, so I may have to go to faux cuffs. White socks are worn for emphasis :). The waist is a bit snug (pinstripe next to button is a bit distorted).

From the side. I'm not wearing braces or a belt, so drape isn't exactly right.

This suit has some of the highest armholes I've experienced, it's great!

Trousers flat-front, but relatively wide (20" circumference at cuffs).

Close-up of trousers. Button fly, not drop-loop

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on the 2-year mark, Minnesota!

So, I don't own a suit, but thought maybe I should. I found a DB Canali on Ebay in my size, 46L with 36 Waist. The 2 pictures were lousy, but I had a good feeling about the seller and bought it anyway. (He said it was from Boyd's and cost $1800.) I paid the initial bid of $139 including shipping, and mentioned to him that I almost went for a DB Trussini suit he had listed as well.

Get this: he packed up the Trussini along with my purchase, for free! I guess my "hit" was correct about him. :) He also assured me they were in excellent condition.

Pictures when they arrive, if they fit close enough, and after tailoring if not. Side note: before bidding I spent about an hour reading material in this forum, and am shocked at how much I don't know about suits. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge, and be forewarned: I'll doubtless have questions galore.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
My new winter gear. Locally finished from reenactment uniform "core". I ordered nearly finished product and had finishing alterations made here (pockets, buttons, sleeves and jacket back)

Product is here with some photoflair (poor or good is you to decide)
sarkatakaa.jpg

sarkasivulta.jpg

sarkaeest.jpg

sarkalahelt.jpg

I look bit lame in the front picture and yes I have tie with jumping bambie :) Bought it from lounge classifieds. Adds irony to these pics.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on the 2-year mark, Minnesota!

So, I don't own a suit, but thought maybe I should. I found a DB Canali on Ebay in my size, 46L with 36 Waist. The 2 pictures were lousy, but I had a good feeling about the seller and bought it anyway. (He said it was from Boyd's and cost $1800.) I paid the initial bid of $139 including shipping, and mentioned to him that I almost went for a DB Trussini suit he had listed as well.

Get this: he packed up the Trussini along with my purchase, for free! I guess my "hit" was correct about him. :) He also assured me they were in excellent condition.

Pictures when they arrive, if they fit close enough, and after tailoring if not. Side note: before bidding I spent about an hour reading material in this forum, and am shocked at how much I don't know about suits. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge, and be forewarned: I'll doubtless have questions galore.

Congrats on that ebay deal!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
My wife had a 1940's Swiss skirt suit with the normal women's right over left buttoning, but the breast pocket was on the left. I suppose womenswear has more leeway in terms of such details.

When I want to remember which way a jacket or shirt closes, I think of swords.

Supposedly the reason the man's shirt or jacket folds left over right is that when men wore swords the scabbard was on the left side of the body. When drawing the sword with the right hand if the jacket was folded right over left, the hilt of the sword might get caught in the fold between the buttons (look down at your shirt and you'll see what I mean), therefore the shirt folded left over right. Of course, if you were left-handed, you were screwed :eusa_doh:

This also relates to the reason stairs in towers of castles spiral clockwise (with the right side of the body on the inside going up). As castles were built by defenders, this enabled them to sword fight with their right hand more easily if being attacked. Of course the flip side of this is that the attacker would be disadvantaged as he would need to fight either with his left hand or very awkwardly around a corner with his right hand.

Clever, even if off-topic.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
My new winter gear. Locally finished from reenactment uniform "core". I ordered nearly finished product and had finishing alterations made here (pockets, buttons, sleeves and jacket back)

Product is here with some photoflair (poor or good is you to decide)
sarkatakaa.jpg

sarkasivulta.jpg

sarkaeest.jpg

sarkalahelt.jpg

I look bit lame in the front picture and yes I have tie with jumping bambie :) Bought it from lounge classifieds. Adds irony to these pics.

GREAT TROUSERS!!! They look like they are straight out of a 1930's Esquire or AA drawing! Well done!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok guys I apologise for the following pictures but I though this may be of some interest.
I got this last week for £4 from a charity shop so nothing lost really, I guess it's 1980's? but with a definate 1940's style and cut?
It was retailed by Marks & Spencer at a time when they still made/retailled quality clothing(they probably still do) it was made in Israel from wool polyester mix, colour is forest green though it looks a little blue to my eye.
Would I get away with it at a 40's event? it has a very slight sheen and is fairly light in weight which would be ok in the summer I guess.
I have a friend who has dress making friend who makes ladies business suits she has suggested that I/we/shecould tear it down and faithfully copy it in a cloth of choice(thinking navy blue chalk stripe) no prices have been quoted what do people think would it be worth pursuing or would I be better obtaining a 1940's original?...this one by the way is a perfect fit!
k2tdx.jpg

ixy4n6.jpg
2ic65ab.jpg

1547fh3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe