Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

CharlesB

Suspended
Mr. Rover said:
And since we're playing dress-up:
1950s style suit from Ralph Lauren Rugby- narrow lapel 3button SB 2 piece. Low-ish rise trousers with more narrow legs than I'm used to after wearing 30s and 40s for so long. 1 1/2" cuff. The pants break unless I wear them like I'm riding a wire fence, because the ankle opening is so narrow that it hits at a higher part of my foot, unlike wide leg pants that cover the laces almost entirely. So I'm debating if I should make them plain front and have a military hem (1" shorter in the front) to get the no-break look, or if I should Thom Browne them a little and show a little more sock.
P1020417.jpg

With the cap and sweater vest, I feel like it looks more 20s than 50s, because the 20s had narrower leg trousers, too. (See photos from last post)
no shame in a little sock.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Touche. Unless it's 11 degrees in Manhattan like last month...
I'm looking at these pictures and realizing how much tone-on-tone I've been doing lately. Too many Cary Grant pictures/movies...spring is right around the corner. My internal Fred Astaire can come out to play again!

CharlesB

Suspended
Mr. Rover said:
Touche. Unless it's 11 degrees in Manhattan like last month...
I'm looking at these pictures and realizing how much tone-on-tone I've been doing lately. Too many Cary Grant pictures/movies...spring is right around the corner. My internal Fred Astaire can come out to play again!
Of late I've whored myself out to the khakis with old vintage gray tweed blazer and cardigan look.

metropd

One Too Many
Mr. Rover said:
Great suits!

Shifting weather today...almost 50 in the afternoon, freezing by nightfall.
Started out wearing this:
P1020408.jpg

(Lightened to show details...the fabric is a worsted midnight blue with close pinstripes)
P1020406.jpg

Dated 1926 4-button double breasted. Polka dotted tie from J.Press.
I love the silhouette of this suit!

Ended up the day in this:
P1020401.jpg

P1020405.jpg

3-Piece Demob Burton's suit, bought from Baron Kurtz last summer.

You look better doing me than me doing me.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Haha I'm flattered, although, I've been doing what you've been doing and posting pictures for almost 4 years- so who's doing who? Go take a peak back when this thread was in double digits.
I just took a break from taking pictures of what I wear everyday because theater school has taken over my life...

metropd

One Too Many
Mr. Rover said:
Haha I'm flattered, although, I've been doing what you've been doing and posting pictures for almost 4 years- so who's doing who? Go take a peak back when this thread was in double digits.
I just took a break from taking pictures of what I wear everyday because theater school has taken over my life...

It was meant as the highest form of flattery. I've been doing it daily for about 6 years. Hey, I have something to strive for, there is nothing wrong with me reaching for the sky.

metropd

One Too Many
Mr. Rover said:
Well, thank you. I'm a great admirer of your outfits, as well. Do you ever look at pictures of yourself doing this from 3 or 4 years ago and think,"Man, I looked too young to be wearing this stuff"?

Not so much how I physically looked but I do realize all the fashion mistakes I made and how I learned and evolved. There was alot of mental growth and alot of wisdom aquirred through starting young and do'in my own thang. Better to start young then be 55 and start after your wife has been dressing you for 30 years.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
aace.jpg

Same...gray suit, button-down collar white shirt with a red tie? Sure, it's a staple combination, but I think I'm more sophisticated than that now. Then again, maybe I'm not.
DSC00865b.jpg

Brown hat and a gray suit?
And what the hell was I thinking here?
DSC00687.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

I need to play around more with handkerchiefs and suspenders...those are the main voids in my wardrobe right now. I've basically stuck with white cotton/linen hankies for most of my look so far...room for development.

metropd

One Too Many
I always thought that fedora with a 2 1/2 inch brim was perfect. It was either a Mallory or a Stetson. You wear small brims gracfully and very well but that fedora with the 2 1/2 inch brim is what you were born to wear in my opinion. I have taken alot of what you post and use that sense of aesthetics in my daily life.

metropd

One Too Many
I posted before I saw these pictures. They hat looks GREAT . I personally really like the hat brim width and preportions you just posted, What are they....I'm guessing 2 3/4 brim and 4 1/2 inch crown or a tad taller roughly. Yes in terms of your suits you are much more sofisticated but these outfits are miles ahead of most people who wear suits everday. Also very interesting color role with the tan pants, dark fedora and navy DB Jacket. You must have learned from those 30's British fashion illustrations

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Oops- my mistake. I just measured the brim of the hat i wore today- 2 1/4" all around...2 1/4" on me feels earlier- 20s/early 30s. So it fit with the suit I started the day with. To balance out the shoulders in the 40s suit, I should've worn a hat with a 2 1/2" brim.
The hats in the old pictures are probably 2 1/2", 2 3/4", and 2 1/2", but I have since outgrown, lost, or passed these hats on to other people.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
metropd said:
I like that all your suits are focused on cut above all else. To me that was one of the most important lessons to learn.

Well, it seems that there are Fedora Lounge fashion trends that became more important at certain times, like pants with no breaks came into the limelight for a while; cuffed pants, non-cuffed pants; sleeve lengths and showing cuff was the main critique for a long time; beltbacks; the ubiquitous armholes; waist suppression and the silhouette; shoulder styles; the drape suit; jacket length; peak lapels; pants rise; etc. etc.
Things get shown as an ideal and inspire everyone else. You know just as well as I do that it takes a while to develop a distinguishing eye. Sadly, I have yet to obtain a "perfect" fitting suit. Everything I own still has some quirk that keeps it from being perfect, even my custom tailored stuff. i.e., the shoulder fits on a little tight on one side in that 1920s suit, the waistcoat is a wee tight in the chest in the demob suit, the pants break in my Rugby suit. But as you said, it's part of the process of learning what works and what doesn't, and how to deal with those ******* alteration tailors. I've really only got one 1933 suit that fits me damn near perfectly, but it's a summer suit so I can only wear it for a season and a half, and I need to put in armpit shields because the lining is tearing up there.

metropd

One Too Many
You should have gave them to me! .:eek: :eek: lol

Here is my 2008 slimfit John Varvatos black suit with a high rule notch and low gorge. How a red pocket square in an "Astaire" fold and a tie clip can make a major difference.

AsIlearnedfromasicilian.jpg

metropd

One Too Many
Hey if you want to sell some of those suits especially the double breasted ones...... I would love to be the owner. I am a 35 or 36s. I own 2 suits now the 1930's chalkstripe DB suit and the John Varvatos. If your interested PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe