Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
What a GREAT dye job! I bet they weigh TWICE what the newer pair would've. Better (less blobby) shape, too. Heck, it ain't about the money you saved (although it IS nice), it's about,

1) the fact that your black pebbles are TWICE as nice as the newer ones (IMO)

& ESPECIALLY

2) The thrill of making a vintage find work so well for you!

Congrats

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I clearly dont look in the hat section enough...especially when people are listing mesh shoes in there...I wanted those gray ones...missed again...anybody wanna sell a pair?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
1930's Kangaroo Skin Paddock Boots by Rand. NOS. Wearable size (with a roomy toe-box, which is a BIG plus for 30's shoes, which are often much more narrowly lasted).

The kangaroo skin makes for a very lightweight, yet extremely durable boot. If you look at 1930's shoes that have survived dryness, the Kangaroo ones did so much better. Most Calf ones are cracked all the way through.

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last edited:

nightmarica

New in Town
hello from south of France,
i'm glad to make my first post here.
Here is my last purchase in a Flea market for 47 dollars. 1920/30(i think) Black Leather captoe Boots in perfect condition. i don't know if it's an european or U.S production. and i don't find informations about this shoe brand. If you have some ideas,i take that!
203165shoozB.jpg

129115Shooz.jpg

524621shoozD.jpg

274693ShoozE.jpg

786304ShoozF.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
hello from south of France,
i'm glad to make my first post here.
Here is my last purchase in a Flea market for 47 dollars. 1920/30(i think) Black Leather captoe Boots in perfect condition. i don't know if it's an european or U.S production. and i don't find informations about this shoe brand. If you have some ideas,i take that!
203165shoozB.jpg

129115Shooz.jpg

524621shoozD.jpg

274693ShoozE.jpg

786304ShoozF.jpg

hello & thanks for the pics. Could you please post some heel & sole pics? that always helps.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I'm SHOCKED! Marc actually dropped the links to these shoes about a week ago. Stetson Ventilated Specs in excellent condition. I mean, this is as good as it gets for this style! I was shocked that not a SINGLE FL member even bid on 1 single pair. Bigger sizes (like these 10D's) are even harder to find, and the 1 pair is in a rare color combo.

In deference to other FL members, I bid only the absolute minimum on each pair. a bid of $100.01 would have won each and every pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290622947694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290622947910?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290622948966?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I've gotta ask the question. I don't think those mesh mammas are 60s more like early 50s maybe late 40s with that big toecap all over the vamp. Opinions?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I've gotta ask the question. I don't think those mesh mammas are 60s more like early 50s maybe late 40s with that big toecap all over the vamp. Opinions?

Although a quality seller, the story about all those Stetsons coming from her husband can't be true. She was also selling some 9 1/2A and a pair of 10A Stetsons (supposedly from the same husband?!)

It was simply marketing a personal story. I agree with your age assessment. Also, I never knew how nice Stetson shoes were until now. The suede is unbelievably soft (reminiscent of cape buck!).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Here's the thing: in the '30s and '40s, shoemakers like Thom McAn, Stacy Adams, and Stetson found that their "sharp" shoes --pointy-toed, spade-soled, orange-colored, etc.-- had a devoted following among African-Americans, Chicanos, and Filipino-Americans. The market demand for these shoe models continued into the 1950s and '60s.

It is very possible that those "mesh mammas" were designed and first manufactured in the 1940s, but were still being made, unchanged, in the '60s.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Here's the thing: in the '30s and '40s, shoemakers like Thom McAn, Stacy Adams, and Stetson found that their "sharp" shoes --pointy-toed, spade-soled, orange-colored, etc.-- had a devoted following among African-Americans, Chicanos, and Filipino-Americans. The market demand for these shoe models continued into the 1950s and '60s.

It is very possible that those "mesh mammas" were designed and first manufactured in the 1940s, but were still being made, unchanged, in the '60s.

excellent point.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

I believe that because I have a pair of Edwin Clapp spades with a full 40s vibe that I bought NOS for my son (size13!). The seller posted a copy of an ad in Ebony indicating manufacture in the early 1960s. Those Clapps that brought the money the other day as NOS are the same or similar design and era IMO. Flyfishark has some pairs from memory.

Marc your famous spade 30s Clapps are very different including 7 eyelets right?

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Marc, is the 7 eyelets an indicator of age? When they did repro's, did they copy the 7 eyelets as well, or drop it to 6 or 5, like those Clapps above?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
What a wonderful last week for vintage shoe finds. Usually 75% of what I buy is NOT in my size, but I buy it to get the opportunity to handle the shoes in person and maybe learn a little about them. Not this week... all these FIT!

Edwin Clapp

KGrHqYOKjQE6VlyHzGBOp1tiRnEg60_12.jpg

Jarman

KGrHqEOKpIE6SI2zesBOnZt36nBQ60_3.jpg

Lotus

Veldtmain.jpg

Unknown brand, but xtra thick soles & a big welt

517863213_o.jpg

Roblee Shell Cordovan

KGrHqJiwE6G3zO-HBOqfoDSpQ60_12.jpg

Florsheim

KGrHqRiE6QwGhCikBOm5ES5Uw60_12.jpg

Flagg Brothers

515786979_o.jpg

Freeman (similar to the pair of Florsheims Marc recently sold)

517924691_o.jpg

I CAN'T WAIT to get to work giving these some TLC!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe