Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

klara

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Very lovely jumper, and I feel the same about compliments from elderly ladies, the other day my...well I don't know how I would put her, she's my uncle's mum, so my cousin's grandma...but she said how much she loved my trousers and wished she could find some that were high waisted. So I told her about teh repro lady I got mine from - could mean I'm getting ladies who grew up in the 40s back into the fashions!

Thank you for the compliment.
That's so sweet! Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

klara

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
Aww, thanks! I've worn them every day this week. And I love that sweater. It's a gorgeous color, and lots of cute detail. I'm in love.

Thank you so much!
It' so funny, I recently returned a pair of platform heels to re-mix and were just thinking about what I should get instead. Seems like that problem is solved. ;)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Nikki
Reminder for Pink, must look up brown eyed Susan Flower...

Kitten
The bees knees indeed! And it's nice to meet you too. :)

LadyStardust
Thanks! I always feel lucky when I can snag a swimsuit in my size at a great price! And I'm just adding to the list here but those are by far the best stockings I've ever seen! :eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Goldleaf!! I appreciate your compliment!!

Klara, that top is really beautiful. What a great color!!:) I think compliments from the elderly are the best compliments, for they really know what the look should look like.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Klara, that sweater is absolutely adorable!!

Okay, I am so happy ladies. Tomorrow it will be warm enough here to wear the dress I bought this weekend. The peep toed shoes go so well with it too and I can't wait. I am going to get up extra early just to curl my hair in electric rollers! :D

Yellowdress.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly, I love the yellow on you. It's great. Do you have a pic of you in the dress -without- the belt? For me, the way the belt fits you (perhaps it is the size/location of the buckle and it competing with the zipper and big button) isn't the most flattering. It also could be the way the belt cuts off the tops of the pockets.

Just my .02.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks Babydoll I appreciate your opinion and was thinking that myself. I have a very thin black belt that I started looking for and couldn't find it on top of all my clothes. I am going to take a bubble bath and search in my hat boxes as that's where the majority of my belts are. lol I will try it with that and let you know how it looks. I do need a belt though as there are obvious loops to it. I have a hard time with belts and finding nice ones which is a total bummer because most of the dresses I buy needs one. :rolleyes:

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
A couple of solutions that might work for you:

a black ribbon (think satin or grosgrain) tied at the waist

-or-

snip off the loops and don't wear a belt (that's what I always do!)

If it's too big in the waist, you can nip it in so it is more fitted. That way you'd be comfortable without a belt. I think for as busy as the dress is (big button, pockets with buttons, trim on sleeves, and the pattern on the dress), you might be okay without the belt. :)

Kimberly

Practically Family
OK, I am too tired to put it back on due to the fact that I am rather comfy in my shorts so put it on my manni for your opinions.

The first pic is without the belt. I didn't pin it so you could see the belt loops. It doesn't look this loose on me but does on the manni who is the size of Kate Moss. :rolleyes:

yellowdressnobelt.jpg

The 2nd pic is with the thinner (about 1.5 inch) plain black belt that is fabric covered.

yellowdresswithbelt.jpg

What do you think. [huh]

Kimberly

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Do you plan on reselling? I have cut belt loops off before and it's not even noticeable. In the end it's up to you. [huh]

No I don't plan on reselling but you never know. I am going to cut them off to do a service to the dress. You are both right and between the pattern, buttons and accents it is far too busy for a belt that needs loops. I have just never purposely cut anything off of anything vintage before so I am a little intimadated. lol

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly said:
No I don't plan on reselling but you never know. I am going to cut them off to do a service to the dress. You are both right and between the pattern, buttons and accents it is far too busy for a belt that needs loops. I have just never purposely cut anything off of anything vintage before so I am a little intimadated. lol

A lot of vintage dresses are missing one loop, or have a broken loop on it. It happens. Think of it as "fixing" the dress so it is more wearable. :D

I like the other belt better, but think that the dress is better with out it. It also depends on how it fits you. You have a cute figure, and you don't want it to fit you like a sack, hence the potential of nipping it in at the waist so it shows off your curves to their best advantage.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Kimberly. I prefer it with a belt, but I like things fitted. I have removed belt loops and never thought twice about it.

LadyStardust, I think they are the best stockings I've ever seen.

klara, that jumper is beautiful, such a lovely colour and pattern.

Daisy, thank you for your report on the dresses. I'm sure I will be happy with one too

I just won this, it needs some taking in but to big is better than to small.

8a57_1.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow Goldwyn what a beautiful dress!! I'm sure it will look lovely on you:)

Kimberly, I wouldn't wear the dress without a belt. But, like Goldwyn I like things a bit more fitted.
I'd go with a thinner belt. I have a similar house dress and it has the original belt. It's thin, maybe an inch thick if not a little less. It's made out of the same fabric as the dress but sometimes I switch it up a bit and wear it with a patent leather belt in coordinating color. The store Aldo has a lot of thin patent leather and leather belts right now. Another option would be to make a belt out of the fabric from the dress. If there is any extra hem you could use the fabric from there.
IMO, I wouldn't cut off the belt loops. Even if you don't plan on selling it right now, you might want to later. Of course, if they are just thread belt loops, then they are easily replaced. But, I've had trouble selling dresses that are missing the loops. I guess some gals don't want to wear a belt if it doesn't have the loops, and IMO again, a dress like that looks better with a belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe