Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I won this beauty last night :D

poodlebag.jpg

I have a question though since it's been years that I've bought anything from America - it's coming from the US and I'm opting for the slightly more expensive insured option for shipping, which means the seller will have to put the item value on the package (which isn't that cheap.) If she ticks the 'gift' option, will I escape the nasty custom fees? Any help is appreciated!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SarahB said:

poodlebag.jpg

I have a question though since it's been years that I've bought anything from America - it's coming from the US and I'm opting for the slightly more expensive insured option for shipping, which means the seller will have to put the item value on the package (which isn't that cheap.) If she ticks the 'gift' option, will I escape the nasty custom fees? Any help is appreciated!

Yup, you sure will, if she's willing. CUTE!!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
SarahB said:

poodlebag.jpg

I'm afraid not hun, they have been SERIOUSLY cracking down on purchases from the states. If it is stated as worth more than £36 you will be taxed on the remainder, though I am sure they add more on. Plus they double the fees as bogus "handling" fees, meaning that the last thing I bought was a £50 dress, marked as a gift, but they charged me £8 customs and £8 handling. La-hame!

I think of it like, you wouldn't have got it in the UK anyway, or you'd have paid more so it's still worth it. It is utterly fabulous too!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Also I am happy to report that my dress is also fabulous! It is 97% cotton and 3% spandex so it has a teeny bit of stretch. the measurements are 28-30 waist, 35-37 bust and I am a 27 waist (less with a cincher) and 37ish bust, and it cinches in a bit and stretches out a bit. Perfect length for a crinoline too! I want another one now!

Hep Kitten

New in Town
*does the Charleston, Fox Trot AND Lindy Hop*

I just won this! :D

hat2.jpg

hat1.jpg

The item description sayd it's vintage 1940's. I just don't know. What era do you gals think it's from? I am so thrilled, whatever the era! And I have my eye on the dress that'll compliment this hat. It's so me to work an outfit around a hat or accessories, rather than to compliment the outfit with a hat and accessories! lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, everyone is getting such great things!!:)
Goldwyn, I will definitely let you know what I think about the dresses as soon as they arrive. Your purchases are all great. I think I know who you got the scotty pin from. She is a very nice seller with very fast shipping. She also has a website where she sells a lot of VI pieces, all made with vintage Czech beads. So if you see something on ebay of hers that you really like, she more than likely sells it in her store, although probably for a higher price. What I usually do is watch her auctions, if they start to go up in price I check her personal website. Not worth going through the stress if you can buy directly from her. But that's only if the prices of her pieces up for auction go up...

Sarah that bag is darling!! I second the "cracking down on custums comment". It used to be a lot easier, but now a lot of sellers are outright refusing to check off the "gift" portion of the packages customs form. I think, given how large ebay has become and the amount of international packages generated by it, the government is cracking down. I think they started noticing the abundance of packages going overseas that possibly had store names as the return address. IMO, I understand the customs charges, but I wish that their was some sort of limit on it. Like if you buy a ten dollar item, is it really necessary to collect on such a thing??

I was watching this black "trumpet skirt" for a few days. I really like this style and I really don't have any skirts, so I'm glad to have found one in a style like this.
dsc06545.jpg

Shearer

Practically Family
Hep Kitten said:
I just won this! :D

hat2.jpg

hat1.jpg

The item description sayd it's vintage 1940's. I just don't know. What era do you gals think it's from? I am so thrilled, whatever the era! And I have my eye on the dress that'll compliment this hat. It's so me to work an outfit around a hat or accessories, rather than to compliment the outfit with a hat and accessories! lol

Hep Kitten, I love that hat! It looks like it could be my avatar hat's cousin lol
Do you know who the designer was?

Hep Kitten

New in Town
Shearer said:
Hep Kitten, I love that hat! It looks like it could be my avatar hat's cousin lol
Do you know who the designer was?

I have no idea, Shearer, but hope to find out real soon! Who made yours? I'll have to take a pic with it on for a family reunion.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Help, that is a stunning hat and Sarah, I love the bag you won!

I did pretty well at Savers today. I got a vintage garter belt for $2.00

I also got this 60s gown for $10.00. It is vintage 60's and I can't zip it up which is too bad because it fits me around the waist, hips and even length which is rare because full length gowns are always too big for me (sometimes being a 36 C and my size stinks! :rage: ). Anyhow, it looks very Audrey Hepburn on especially with the glove thingies it comes with. I am going to put it on consignment or eBay because I had to buy it for some short girl out there that needs a gown but can never find one to fit her. lol

Close up of the gown. It goes to my ankles perfectly and I am 5'3.

blackaudreydress.jpg

Gloves that go with it to give it an Audrey Hepburn look

blacksleeve.jpg

One of my favorite cookbook in the world I used to takeout at the library but just never though of buying it until I saw it at Savers

enterntaining.jpg

The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. I got it after seeing the suggestions for it on another thread here!

sewing.jpg

Some super inexpensive red Mary Jane type shoes that are as comfortable as sneakers for some of my day dresses

redshoes.jpg

Lastly, lavender 60's shoes to go with a dress I bought earlier this summer.

lavendershoes.jpg

Shearer

Practically Family
Hep Kitten said:
I have no idea, Shearer, but hope to find out real soon! Who made yours? I'll have to take a pic with it on for a family reunion.

Hehe, I was hoping your name would jog my memory! :D It was someone for Darcel, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Hep Kitten

New in Town
Kimberly said:
Help, that is a stunning hat and Sarah, I love the bag you won!

I did pretty well at Savers today. I got a vintage garter belt for $2.00

I also got this 60s gown for $10.00. It is vintage 60's and I can't zip it up which is too bad because it fits me around the waist, hips and even length which is rare because full length gowns are always too big for me (sometimes being a 36 C and my size stinks! :rage: ). Anyhow, it looks very Audrey Hepburn on especially with the glove thingies it comes with. I am going to put it on consignment or eBay because I had to buy it for some short girl out there that needs a gown but can never find one to fit her. lol

Close up of the gown. It goes to my ankles perfectly and I am 5'3.

blackaudreydress.jpg

Gloves that go with it to give it an Audrey Hepburn look

blacksleeve.jpg

One of my favorite cookbook in the world I used to takeout at the library but just never though of buying it until I saw it at Savers

enterntaining.jpg

The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. I got it after seeing the suggestions for it on another thread here!

sewing.jpg

Some super inexpensive red Mary Jane type shoes that are as comfortable as sneakers for some of my day dresses

redshoes.jpg

Lastly, lavender 60's shoes to go with a dress I bought earlier this summer.

lavendershoes.jpg

Kimberly: What a shame that dress didn't fit! I have a similar problem in that I have big hips (but a smallish chest), so my clothes are always big on top and/or long and if they fit my boobage nicely, they almost always don't fit past my hips! I am 5'6 and a full B cup. Why do they think plus-size gals are 6' tall and DD cup? :eusa_doh:

Kimberly

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Aw thanks Kimberly but since I called it that I now have the Bumble Bee Tuna song stuck in my head! :eusa_doh:

Doh, now it's stuck in my head! :mad: ;) :D

Seriosly though. I have fallen in love with that color since I got my dress and am in love with your suit. It is going to look adorable on you!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Also I am happy to report that my dress is also fabulous! It is 97% cotton and 3% spandex so it has a teeny bit of stretch. the measurements are 28-30 waist, 35-37 bust and I am a 27 waist (less with a cincher) and 37ish bust, and it cinches in a bit and stretches out a bit. Perfect length for a crinoline too! I want another one now!

Thank you Fleur, I'm going to get one now too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe