Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
It was likely just as dirty grinding castings but likely the pay was better as it was considered skilled labor----before machines did the same thing. Both ended up with lung problems just the same though.
They had bars in mining towns? How did they afford to go drinking or have the time to hang out in bars if their pay was so low and their time was so short? ;) :p

When I worked in the steel mill in Port Kembla back in 1978 (3 months) following a shower at work it was directly to the famour Open Hearth pub for the workers where only schooners were served (smaller than a pint - 440ml) and after the first one went down and "didn't touch the sides" they would have about 4 more. Drink driving these days would prevent such behaviour.

As one of my Lebanese friends said to me the other day recalling his arrival Down Under in 1974:

"They 70s were great - they were cheap and you had the freedom to do anything you wanted!":eek: :eek: :p :eusa_clap

cookie said:
As one of my Lebanese friends said to me the other day recalling his arrival Down Under in 1974:

"They 70s were great - they were cheap and you had the freedom to do anything you wanted!":eek: :eek: :p :eusa_clap

Geez, they definitely had a different experience than we had here. The 1970s was a period of ridiculous inflation that devalued the dollar and made our buying power shrink like a violet. I won't even mention the gasoline crisis. :eusa_doh:

alden405

A-List Customer
GHQ1 said:
denimshirt.JPG
Anyone have any hands on experience with Juan's US Army denim pullover shirt . . . for $70 . . .Concerned about durability -- are these cut for the job or are they to simply "look" the part?

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/denimshirt.JPG

or the USN US Navy chambray shirt
chambrayshirt.JPG
chambraypocket.JPG
for $60

or if you've no first hand info then some anecdotal hearsay from a 4th party reenactor always works great . . .

Thanks

I have one of the ww2 pullover shirts,its 5 years old,its been worn as a work shirt,horseriding blah blah blah

still going strong,it has shrunk with my current fatness,er waitaminut

its the same size,i aint

Doug C

Practically Family
GHQ1 - I've been wondering about that USN chambrey shirt from WWII Imp. for a long time myself. I could just about bet that they are way better than their picture would make you believe. It's almost like they used the worst possible pictures they could find to help sell their stuff. Meanwhile all you hear is raves about things that people have actually received from them. There is nobody around here that has one of these shirts that has posted or spoken about them anyway - I've asked before. Same goes for their USN denim shawl collar deck jackets, that I've been contemplateing forever [huh] .

Doug C

mattfink

Practically Family
Doug C said:
GHQ1 - I've been wondering about that USN chambrey shirt from WWII Imp. for a long time myself. I could just about bet that they are way better than their picture would make you believe. It's almost like they used the worst possible pictures they could find to help sell their stuff. Meanwhile all you hear is raves about things that people have actually received from them. There is nobody around here that has one of these shirts that has posted or spoken about them anyway - I've asked before. Same goes for their USN denim shawl collar deck jackets, that I've been contemplateing forever [huh] .

Doug C

Not true, I posted the following in response to GHQ1's original post:

"I've got the USN Chambray and it's pretty good...feels like it'll stand up to some wear and tear. Also have the USN denim deck jacket with the shawl collar...very nice!"

Doug C

Practically Family
mattfink wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C
GHQ1 - I've been wondering about that USN chambrey shirt from WWII Imp. for a long time myself. I could just about bet that they are way better than their picture would make you believe. It's almost like they used the worst possible pictures they could find to help sell their stuff. Meanwhile all you hear is raves about things that people have actually received from them. There is nobody around here that has one of these shirts that has posted or spoken about them anyway - I've asked before. Same goes for their USN denim shawl collar deck jackets, that I've been contemplateing forever .

Doug C

Not true, I posted the following in response to GHQ1's original post:

"I've got the USN Chambray and it's pretty good...feels like it'll stand up to some wear and tear. Also have the USN denim deck jacket with the shawl collar...very nice!"

Well Mattfink that's great and I stand corrected BUT you could have saved on highlighting all of my post - just the part about nobody posting about the shirt would have sufficed, since the rest is true ;). Where can we find you're review of their USN chambrey and I'd LOVE to get a look at that deck jacket... please!! ..and Thanks.
Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Oh shoot, I looked back through this thread and Mattfink, you've already answered this question for me before... way back on page 28 you posted a picture of that jacket. I thank you for that. I was worried that a 42 may be too big for me, now I may go even bigger. Have you washed it.. and did it shrink any? Sorry, I have been away from this site for a while.

Doug C

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I wasn't sure where to put this but recall seeing an old photo (in this thread?) of a guy working on a truck wearing a shawl collar sweater..

In keeping with The Gap's vintage inspired gear they are now doing shawl collar sweaters.
gp648779-00vliv01.jpg

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50341&vid=1&pid=648779
T
hey're all over Shorpy, that's for sure! Also, I think this iconic image captures that earlier era as well...

Cagney,%20James%20(Public%20Enemy,%20The)_01.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I used to wear these jeans back in the nineties as a teenager. They are basically Ben Davis knockoffs, but with the cut of a pair of Frisko Jeens, with a higher waist and wide legs (hence the tagline, "The Real OG Frisko"). Made for the Latino market, the company has since folded due to shifting fashion tastes. I recently bought some old backstock of these in blue, black and charcoal denim.
20090521093120.jpg
20090521093155.jpg
20090521093143.jpg

volatile

A-List Customer
flat-top said:
Love this one:
gp648782-01qlv01.jpg

I saw it in person and it's great.

The UK Gap stores don't seem to have these (yet?) - I just went to look - but the mainstream fashion shops like Topman, H&M and River Island are FULL of shawl-necks... they must be "in" this season.

I scored a really nice double-breasted dark grey one from River Island. Their site is a flash-driven horror so I can't link to the exact one I got, but go to http://www.riverisland.com, click "Men", then "Knitwear", then "Cardigans". Mine is on the far-right, top row, first page.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This repro chinstrap chambray shirt recently ended on ebay. Has anyone seen one of these in person? Familiar with the brand? The collar seems a bit more '30s in size than most other "trendy" chinstrap shirts out there, but the way the pictures are, it's hard to tell its spread.

_1257872679762.jpg

_1257872689934.jpg

_1257872701427.jpg

_1257872710487.jpg

About the company:

8:15 August Fifteenth is a brand name derived from two important events on that date: the ending of World War II in 1945 and the beginning of Woodstock in 1969. A Japanese company, 8:15 idealistically promotes "a strong friendship" through cultural exchange, shared respect, and mutual curiosity.

Rooted in admiration for workers' clothes that have been organically and unintentionally charactered through use, 8:15 August Fifteenth designs clothes and shoes to "bring out the individuality of the people who put them on."

Produced by original factories with traditional methods, we love the care that goes into individual pieces like hand knit sweaters and accessories. 8:15 creates clothing that is utilitarian and comfortable; pieces you rely on like "well used tools."

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
This repro chinstrap chambray shirt recently ended on ebay. Has anyone seen one of these in person? Familiar with the brand? The collar seems a bit more '30s in size than most other "trendy" chinstrap shirts out there, but the way the pictures are, it's hard to tell its spread.

_1257872679762.jpg

_1257872689934.jpg

_1257872701427.jpg

_1257872710487.jpg

About the company:

8:15 August Fifteenth is a brand name derived from two important events on that date: the ending of World War II in 1945 and the beginning of Woodstock in 1969. A Japanese company, 8:15 idealistically promotes "a strong friendship" through cultural exchange, shared respect, and mutual curiosity.

Rooted in admiration for workers' clothes that have been organically and unintentionally charactered through use, 8:15 August Fifteenth designs clothes and shoes to "bring out the individuality of the people who put them on."

Produced by original factories with traditional methods, we love the care that goes into individual pieces like hand knit sweaters and accessories. 8:15 creates clothing that is utilitarian and comfortable; pieces you rely on like "well used tools."
I have this shirt. It was an Urban Outfitters exclusive. It's pretty good, but a bit of a slim fit, so I went up a size.
It makes a great layering piece.

smokey

New in Town
Thought I would chime in on this topic. If anyone is skilled with sewing here is a pattern for overalls.

http://www.pastpatterns.com/910.html

The pattern says the overalls are for a 1870s to 1901 style but, Mrs. Altman includes research on overall styles and pocket styles through 1945. This is a really good product not too bad of a project I can knock out a pair in a day. I have made a pair for my Civil War era civilian impression but I like wearing them around the yard working. some repro patterns I have worked with tend to run small this companies patterns do not! so keep that mind. It is very possible to turn out a pair of overalls as pictured in the advertisement Dinerman posted earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe