Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Hey, Target has a really nice looking vintage style work shirt in a denim with two pockets, white ivory-like buttons on their vintage label Menora for $20. Nice, heavy material. I picked one up, but it's in Ohio and I'm not.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
volatile said:
The UK Gap stores don't seem to have these (yet?) - I just went to look - but the mainstream fashion shops like Topman, H&M and River Island are FULL of shawl-necks... they must be "in" this season.

I scored a really nice double-breasted dark grey one from River Island. Their site is a flash-driven horror so I can't link to the exact one I got, but go to http://www.riverisland.com, click "Men", then "Knitwear", then "Cardigans". Mine is on the far-right, top row, first page.

you wont see them in UK GAP either. My wife does all the visuals for them, and they arent in the look books.

volatile

A-List Customer
repeatclicks said:
you wont see them in UK GAP either. My wife does all the visuals for them, and they arent in the look books.

Hah! What's the point of gigantic, faceless, global homogenising mega-corps if they're just gonna go ahead and sell different lines in different places, huh?

We were promised cookie-cutter conformity and cultural imperialism, damnit! :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Harley

IMG_3025.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3019.jpg
[/IMG] The photo of the Harley Wrecking Crew reminded me, in 1998 I finally got around to buying a Sportster. At the same time I was looking through their cloths when I found this shirt, it was less then $10. I found out it was a pour seller, not many of the new riders know much about Harley's racing history! The jacket I won two years ago, they were asking trivia questions, what were Harley's called in the early days, "Silent Grey Fellows", hard to believe these days! I won a lot that day, a leather jacket, picnic set, blanket, $100 gift certificate, and 3 pairs of gloves with no fingers, gave those away. I would have won more but they banned me from the game, so I gave people around me the answers. I like these two, because they pay homage to the old grey race collars, and the new black and orange. I can picture a board track race with Harley, Indian, Henderson, Cyclone and Flying Merkel, these would have fit in just fine!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't find pics online, but the Gap has done it again! That same chinstrap shirt, but this time in a cool khaki color, and a chambray shirt jacket. I believe there is a 25% off sale going on now as well.

mattfink

Practically Family

mattfink

Practically Family
Feraud said:
JCrew also has some nice material variation in their chin strap shirts. They also have a cool small herringbone pattern shirt.

I like the J. Crew stuff better than the Gap, but the Gap is good enough for the price.

flat-top

Feraud said:
Both companies are weak in the collar design but I can live with it.
The Gap tends to have amazing sales on their items.
Yup, I can stalk the Gap til the stuff gets marked down.
Have any of you guys checked out the Levis store recently???
INCREDIBLE vintage looking plaid chinstrap shirts, mackinaws, a dark denim USN style work jacket (with removable buttons!). So much great stuff. And it NEVER seems to be going on sale! Grrr

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
Both companies are weak in the collar design but I can live with it.

Again, both companies are reproducing collar designs from the 'teens, not the '20s-'30s. Before the 1920s, workshirt collars tended to be rectangular in shape, and without the sharp long points of later shirts.

In short, those Gap and Banana Republic shirts have pretty authentic collars. The problem (for us) is that they don't hark back to our preferred era of style.

Feraud

Bartender
As a stocky guy those short collar points do not flatter me at all. Eventually the longer point style will come back in style.

Does anyone have one of the plaid RL workshirts? I have one and it is hands down the most comfortable shirt I own!

Doug C

Practically Family
Flat-Top wrote:
Have any of you guys checked out the Levis store recently??? INCREDIBLE vintage looking plaid chinstrap shirts, mackinaws, a dark denim USN style work jacket (with removable buttons!)

:eek: what!! Do you have any more info on this USN style jacket? I've been wanting a jacket that style for a while and part of what's held me back on getting a repro from WWIIimp is the lack of removeable buttons. So, I'd love to look into this one from Levis. I checked Levis.com but could not find it, are there pictures anywhere that you know of? TIA!!

Doug C

flat-top

Doug C said:
Flat-Top wrote: .

:eek: what!! Do you have any more info on this USN style jacket? I've been wanting a jacket that style for a while and part of what's held me back on getting a repro from WWIIimp is the lack of removeable buttons. So, I'd love to look into this one from Levis. I checked Levis.com but could not find it, are there pictures anywhere that you know of? TIA!!

Doug C
Nothing online. In fact, nothing from the store seems to be online.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
so speaking of shawl collars here are some pics of my Magnoli Wyoming cardigan. I had him make the pockets bigger then normal so I can carry books my pipe ect. in it. Overall I have mixed feelings about it, I'm going to send my review to Magnoli before I post it here so he can answer a few questions.
img0468z.jpg

img0469w.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Doug C said:
Flat-Top wrote: .

Doug C

I wouldn't call it a "USN" style jacket. It's more of a low budget version of this jacket:

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info.php?info=p386_Levi--180-s--1920-s-SACK-COAT.html

If you want one with removable buttons in a USN style, Buzz Rickson makes one:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/m13157/

The one that WWII Impressions sells is consistent with the model they made after WWII in the 1940's. The removable buttons tended to get lost under real work conditions or in the Navy laundry.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe