Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

mattfink

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Which sort of defeats the title of this thread in the first place. It might be classic but who the heck is going to work in a $550 coat?!
This looks to be more like expensive poser wear. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you on the point of really using this stuff for work. Most newer work wear looks like dire shit and you wouldn't want to wear it for anything but work to begin with. I don't see anyone on here running out to buy used Cintas uniforms!!!

I understand the Japanese are trying to satisfy a niche market while protecting the value of the original vintage items in the process. However, when you get brands like RRL selling items made in China that might have cost $30 to make but retail in the hundreds, it's plain silly.

mattfink said:
Hmmm, not sure I can agree with you on the point of really using this stuff for work. Most newer work wear looks like dire shit and you wouldn't want to wear it for anything but work to begin with. I don't see anyone on here running out to buy used Cintas uniforms!!!

I understand the Japanese are trying to satisfy a niche market while protecting the value of the original vintage items in the process. However, when you get brands like RRL selling items made in China that might have cost $30 to make but retail in the hundreds, it's plain silly.

You can get a decent work look---much like the pictures posted earlier of railway workers---for less than the price of that one jacket. We aren't talking Ben Davis here. Jeans are cheap. Denium work clothes are easy to knock together. Blue collar shirts are easy to find cheaply.
This stuff is poser wear in which people have taken on the mantle of workwear for everyday wear. If that's what they want then it certainly shouldn't be called workwear. Everyday people back then never wore workwear as everyday wear. When they came home that stuff came off. ;) :p

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Before we rush down the road of condemning pricing structures (and we must take a high profit margin as a given, since we're talking about the garment industry), we need to know how much it actually costs to make 'workwear' to standards that might have been expected in the past. I'm guessing more than most FLers are willing to pay.

Not that I've any ax(e) to grind, but why shouldn't Dockers use the current workwear bandwagon to make money, like many of the other old brands already do? And if the product's good quality, let's accept that it'll cost more than the usual. If their 'premium' product doesn't come up to scratch, that's a different story.

I don't understand the current crop of FL complaints about how much certain new garments cost. Is it because workwear was once cheap and isn't any longer? Is it because cheap goods are being sold dear? Or are we cannier consumers than the rest and can see through the marketing? In which case, why do we give a damn? :rolleyes:

Alexi

One of the Regulars
mattfink said:
That shawl collar Mackinaw pea coat is killer, but about $550? Sheesh...

I like the coat, but it's not workwear, nor sportingwear the cut is far too tight to move in. It's funny 'cause most of my filson stuff is cut too big, this stuff is cut to narrow... can't someone get it right?

Creeping Past said:
I don't understand the current crop of FL complaints about how much certain new garments cost. Is it because workwear was once cheap and isn't any longer? Is it because cheap goods are being sold dear? Or are we cannier consumers than the rest and can see through the marketing? In which case, why do we give a damn? :rolleyes:

Workwear still is cheap as far as I am concerned. Its just this stuff that isn't. I will believe it is as well constructed as workwear in the past when I see it. :rolleyes: So many have fallen short even if it is priced ridiculously.
There is certainly a marketing blitz making it seem like we are going back to 1937 and getting this same stuff off the rack today. That is just not happening. I resent being lied to quite simply. :rage:

mattfink

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Before we rush down the road of condemning pricing structures (and we must take a high profit margin as a given, since we're talking about the garment industry), we need to know how much it actually costs to make 'workwear' to standards that might have been expected in the past. I'm guessing more than most FLers are willing to pay.

Not that I've any ax(e) to grind, but why shouldn't Dockers use the current workwear bandwagon to make money, like many of the other old brands already do? And if the product's good quality, let's accept that it'll cost more than the usual. If their 'premium' product doesn't come up to scratch, that's a different story.

I'm willing to pay a lot for stuff, but not overpay. Especially for stuff that's made with a fairly low cost (i.e. RRL). The hand made quality stuff from Japan is great, but some of it is still overpriced too.

mattfink

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Everyday people back then never wore workwear as everyday wear. When they came home that stuff came off. ;) :p

Everyday people that were well off maybe. When my great-grandad came home from the coal mine he ate, took his clothes off, bathed and went to bed. Not much time for socializing after working a 14 hour day. He had one suit and one dress shirt that he wore on Sunday.

The whole point of repro clothing of any type is to effect a certain look (or pose as you put it). Functionality is typically second and price is always higher.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I agree there are many shades of repro. Some are good, others less worthy of attention.

Like I've said, do you think it's worth paying for quality? If not, then don't pay.

Just to clarify, do I think it's worth buying a heritage brand just because it's got tradition behind it? No. Do I think fashion is worth whatever they're charging? No.

Filson make general claims for their garments being all-original, but of course they're not; it's just heritage branding. Ralph Lauren make garments 'in the style of', rather than dead-on originals, but they're nice enough. It seems to be mainly the Japanese that make the effort and get the detailing and construction right on repro garments that are near-replicas, and they do so in small runs, at a price. They certainly get it right. Buy them if you can afford them, or marvel and move on, enjoying them for what they are.

Of course people work in new-style workwear — although probably in 'new media' jobs rather than driving piles or laying rails. But, you know, we've all got to make a living. And why not do so wearing comfortable, stylish, hard-wearing clothing — albeit very probably not as authentic as people think?

I imagine — none of us can know because we haven't seen evidence yet — that the new Dockers stuff will be middling quality priced to shift at or near the levels of other companies offering similar stuff, so $100 for a chambray shirt. We'll have to suspend judgment, beyond speculation, until we know one way or the other on that score.

mattfink said:
Everyday people that were well off maybe. When my great-grandad came home from the coal mine he ate, took his clothes off, bathed and went to bed. Not much time for socializing after working a 14 hour day. He had one suit and one dress shirt that he wore on Sunday.

The whole point of repro clothing of any type is to effect a certain look (or pose as you put it). Functionality is typically second and price is always higher.

My grandfathers worked in foundries for over forty years. Never did they come to the dinner table wearing their work clothes nor would they go out wearing work clothes. They didn't exactly have a closet load of suits either. :rolleyes: I suppose it just depends where you were. [huh]
Repros are fine but I can't understand paying a ton for something that was originally meant to be used as work clothes or wearing it contrary to the purpose it was originally made for. Looking like a steel worker to go out on the town? :rolleyes: Doesn't make sense. [huh]

mattfink

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
My grandfathers worked in foundries for over forty years. Never did they come to the dinner table wearing their work clothes nor would they go out wearing work clothes. They didn't exactly have a closet load of suits either. :rolleyes: I suppose it just depends where you were. [huh]
Repros are fine but I can't understand paying a ton for something that was originally meant to be used as work clothes or wearing it contrary to the purpose it was originally made for. Looking like a steel worker to go out on the town? :rolleyes: Doesn't make sense. [huh]

The foundry must've paid more and had better hours than the mines! Ever seen photos from a bar in a mining town?

Tancred

New in Town
Working attire

I recently stumbled across the "old town clothing - classic British workwear" which has some nice pieces. Enjoy

Many apologies for not providing the link but with my well known Luddite abilities you have all witnessed the limits of my abilities with computers and the web.

mattfink said:
The foundry must've paid more and had better hours than the mines! Ever seen photos from a bar in a mining town?

It was likely just as dirty grinding castings but likely the pay was better as it was considered skilled labor----before machines did the same thing. Both ended up with lung problems just the same though.
They had bars in mining towns? How did they afford to go drinking or have the time to hang out in bars if their pay was so low and their time was so short? ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe