Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
5476579591_1ce2d551e2_z.jpg

5-5/8" x 2-1/8".

Incredible shape holding--I believe it has a high Nutria content. No moth damage-no sweat but a line of glue where a sweat once was.

Cool, glad to see you got it! Based on the numbers the seller gave, I figured it was, indeed, an older one. I put a snipe in on it, but it didn't make the cut. I'd rather be outbid by you than a stranger.lol

Brad

buler

I'll Lock Up
[5-5/8" x 2-1/8".

Incredible shape holding--I believe it has a high Nutria content. No moth damage-no sweat but a line of glue where a sweat once was.

Thats a sweet hat RLK. Too bad about the sweat. Love the crease and overall dimensions.

B

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It's been out of the box for under a half hour, so better photos are forthcoming. For now, I'll say that I've never handled any hat as light as this. The felt is extremely thin, and the sweat weighs next to nothing. Held against my very light vita-felt, the one in my avatar, the vita-felt is a brick. This is, by leaps and bounds, the lightest felt I own.

Beautiful Playboy, Lefty!!! That sweatband looks very soft and subtle. I wonder if there is an easy way to reattach it.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
It's been out of the box for under a half hour, so better photos are forthcoming. For now, I'll say that I've never handled any hat as light as this. The felt is extremely thin, and the sweat weighs next to nothing. Held against my very light vita-felt, the one in my avatar, the vita-felt is a brick. This is, by leaps and bounds, the lightest felt I own.

The sweat needs some sewing, as it's about 1/4 loose, but the leather is still soft and supple. Fortunately, the 7 3/4 that's normally big on me seems to have shrunk a bit, right on down to a perfect fit.

While the weight and the size make me happy enough, the color is incredible. My wife immediately thought of peacock feathers when she saw it, in the way that the slightest turn or change of light will make you see deep green, teal, royal blue, or even black. I'll work on getting more photos to show that variation another day.

I haven't done any brushing, steaming, etc. at this point. These are just the preliminary excitement shots.

DSC_0043.jpg

Gorgeous Peacock felt.
One word of caution:I've had two Cross Country's with similar sweatband condition and quickly found myself wearing the sweatband with the hat detached. If you are going to attempt to reattach, try it first and avoid the temptation to wear it with the stitches coming out.

Fantastic hat!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Now that I've shown you mine...

OK, Lefty -- truth or dare? ;)

The Vita-Felt arrived this afternoon and is a work in progress. The felt is in absolutely beautiful shape (more on this later) -- but the lid needs to be "freshened up" a bit after collecting some dust over the years. No way I'm sending this to Optimo, as I want to keep all of it intact. The sweat is amazingly pliable and supple given its age, and I don't want to risk losing it. So, the liner is currently soaking in Woolite. I have taken a photo of the inside of the hat with the liner removed, which shows the color of the hat with no intervening dirt layer. The second photo shows the hat, resting comfortably and drying out after its session with Scout hat cleaner.

VF-2a.jpg

VF-1.jpg

This lid is gonna be a good one. ;)

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
OK, Lefty -- truth or dare? ;)

The Vita-Felt arrived this afternoon and is a work in progress. The felt is in absolutely beautiful shape (more on this later) -- but the lid needs to be "freshened up" a bit after collecting some dust over the years. No way I'm sending this to Optimo, as I want to keep all of it intact. The sweat is amazingly pliable and supple given its age, and I don't want to risk losing it. So, the liner is currently soaking in Woolite. I have taken a photo of the inside of the hat with the liner removed, which shows the color of the hat with no intervening dirt layer. The second photo shows the hat, resting comfortably and drying out after its session with Scout hat cleaner.

[

Did it leach any white fluid?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many

The sweat needs some sewing, as it's about 1/4 loose, but the leather is still soft and supple. Fortunately, the 7 3/4 that's normally big on me seems to have shrunk a bit, right on down to a perfect fit.

While the weight and the size make me happy enough, the color is incredible. My wife immediately thought of peacock feathers when she saw it, in the way that the slightest turn or change of light will make you see deep green, teal, royal blue, or even black. I'll work on getting more photos to show that variation another day.

I haven't done any brushing, steaming, etc. at this point. These are just the preliminary excitement shots.

DSC_0013.jpg

Lefty -

Personally, I think blue is MUCH more your color. You know, like the Dobbs Cross Country! That green, well, me being of Irish decent and all...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk - thanks for the tip. It's been on my head a few times, but I'll hold back until I stitch it up.

Mr. Lucky - I still admire your CCs, but NINA on this hat. (or anyone else)

JtL - tease

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe