Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brim shape on the 10x looks fine on you, but I think you might want to try a different crease. A Tycoon/Teardrop or Gus/Montana might do you right. So much for trying to whittle down your collection, eh? ;)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Brim shape on the 10x looks fine on you, but I think you might want to try a different crease. A Tycoon/Teardrop or Gus/Montana might do you right. So much for trying to whittle down your collection, eh? ;)

This just means I have to get rid of a couple more. I'm not sure on the western yet. It is some super sweet felt. I'm trying to research the age on it. It was purchased at Shepler's so I'm starting there.

Just read that Sheplers was founded in 1899 so that's not going to help much.

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Keep it for the felt, then. You can always do a conversion later.

I'll try it with a Gus when I get a chance - just for fun. I'm not doing anything permanent until I find out more about it. Plus this monster crown height would have to have a double teardrop or something if I were ever to convert it to a fedora.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This just means I have to get rid of a couple more. I'm not sure on the western yet. It is some super sweet felt. I'm trying to research the age on it. It was purchased at Shepler's so I'm starting there.

Just read that Sheplers was founded in 1899 so that's not going to help much.

My gut reaction is that your 10X is a 70's lid -- but, I have no way to pin this down. The sweat and liner are reminiscent of post-1970 Stevens "Stetsons", I believe -- but others may have a better idea.

Here's an example, however, of where the price may tell us more than the XXX's. Even in the 70's (assuming that's correct), $150 was a fairly hefty price tag -- so, I have no trouble thinking that your lid may have some very nice felt on it.

How does it compare to the 100 you scored recently?

Cheers,
JtL

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rodkins said:
Plus this monster crown height would have to have a double teardrop or something if I were ever to convert it to a fedora.

You say that like it's a bad thing lol. Good luck with whatever decision you make. It's a nice lid regardless!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
My gut reaction is that your 10X is a 70's lid -- but, I have no way to pin this down. The sweat and liner are reminiscent of post-1970 Stevens "Stetsons", I believe -- but others may have a better idea.

Here's an example, however, of where the price may tell us more than the XXX's. Even in the 70's (assuming that's correct), $150 was a fairly hefty price tag -- so, I have no trouble thinking that your lid may have some very nice felt on it.

How does it compare to the 100 you scored recently?

Cheers,
JtL
JtL-
Thanks for the info. I truly appreciate your consistent effort. I would have guessed 70's if someone were forcing me to guess, but that would be based on very little. Here is my best relay of handing the felt as compared to my recent 100:
The felt is very soft but not quite as soft as my 100. The finish is just very slightly "nappier" than the fine finish on the 100. When I popped the cattleman's crease out to open crown, the felt seemed very shapeable. No tough "pop" but more like clay like my 20, 25, and 100. Of the few western fur felts I've handled, this one is by far the least stiff. I didn't change the crease, so I will know more when I attempt to put it in a gus crease a little later when I get a chance.
Thanks again,
Mike

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Well I am always on the lookout for a good deal... At lunch yesterday I stopped into a resale shop that sometimes has hats.

To my surprise I found an 8x Beaver Brand Mink/Brown Fedora :)

It was made in 2006 and appears very lightly worn almost new.

So I bought it and went directly over to Cavenders Boots and western wear to have it Steam formed and brushed! Luckily being a Texan here in Austin we still have a hat culture and there was no charge or wait (Although I do tip well :))

Very Happy with it as quality appears excellent! 2 1/8th ish brim is enough to set it apart from stingy but not as big as my Indy's

MA

BeaverBrand8xMinkFedoraFront.jpg

BeaverBrandLogo.jpg

BBProfile.jpg

Marshall

One of the Regulars
That's a great looking Stetson Sovereign Rotkins, show us a pic with it on your head!

My first fur felt fedora arrived a couple days ago; I've been swamped with work, but I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
That's a great looking Stetson Sovereign Rotkins, show us a pic with it on your head!

My first fur felt fedora arrived a couple days ago; I've been swamped with work, but I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Thanks Marshall. For some reason I didn't get a picture with it on last night. I'll have to post one in the "What Hat Are You Wearing" thread when I first wear it - probably very soon.

DRB

One Too Many
Rodkins: Stetson Sovereign Twenty, Fantastic color and new ribbon. That's a good one.

Regarding the large wide-brimmed, if the hatter has to cut the crown to bring the crown down, the existing stitching might leave holes. Every hat is different. Check with the hatter, Some won't do it because holes would show- -or not. The darker colors hide the holes better.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Grammercy 8-panel Newsboy Cap

5477051780_bb29ee0c4e_z.jpg
5476453199_651aa657a1.jpg
5477049578_1c80b9e360_z.jpg

I think this is Camel Hair. Fits as a 7-1/4 despite the tag. Hidden in the Women's Hats so no other bidders. Just over 12" diam. Perhaps someone can date the Union Tag.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Ancient Dobbs rescue

5476579591_1ce2d551e2_z.jpg
5477170738_4b36dc4227_b.jpg

5476568153_44ec5ce830.jpg
5477167144_49e8985832_z.jpg

5-5/8" x 2-1/8".

Incredible shape holding--I believe it has a high Nutria content. No moth damage-no sweat but a line of glue where a sweat once was.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's been out of the box for under a half hour, so better photos are forthcoming. For now, I'll say that I've never handled any hat as light as this. The felt is extremely thin, and the sweat weighs next to nothing. Held against my very light vita-felt, the one in my avatar, the vita-felt is a brick. This is, by leaps and bounds, the lightest felt I own.

The sweat needs some sewing, as it's about 1/4 loose, but the leather is still soft and supple. Fortunately, the 7 3/4 that's normally big on me seems to have shrunk a bit, right on down to a perfect fit.

While the weight and the size make me happy enough, the color is incredible. My wife immediately thought of peacock feathers when she saw it, in the way that the slightest turn or change of light will make you see deep green, teal, royal blue, or even black. I'll work on getting more photos to show that variation another day.

I haven't done any brushing, steaming, etc. at this point. These are just the preliminary excitement shots.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member