Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Nice curl on the CW Derby! Looks sharp! Regarding the softness, I am not aware of anyone today being able to produce the felt of vintage Derbies (Bowlers, Melones).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice curl on the CW Derby! Looks sharp! Regarding the softness, I am not aware of anyone today being able to produce the felt of vintage Derbies (Bowlers, Melones).
Thanks! I think it's very wearable. My western weight wool Knutsen bowler is rather stiff, and I have one in dark moss fur felt from Baron Hats, which they made very stiff after I requested it. But in general I think you're right-- it's hard to reproduce vintage!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs

5475029224_dbdc0d2d84_z.jpg
5474434729_28d80fdb1b_z.jpg

5474603675_db6570c23e_z.jpg
5474461289_59b1844844.jpg

Eggplant/Violet...etc. Ribbon is ribbed for your pleasure. Perhaps a "bold look" hat. 5-3/4" x 2-3/4".

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
it's hard to reproduce vintage!

My understanding is that it is easy but time consuming. You just have to let the felt age for a half century or so. The Clearwater web site is deplorable but your new hat looks very elegant. I'm glad it worked out for you.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Eggplant/Violet...etc. Ribbon is ribbed for your pleasure. Perhaps a "bold look" hat. 5-3/4" x 2-3/4".

Perhaps it's just my monitor, but it seems that the ribbon on that lid has a very subtle lavender undertone...:eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

All kidding aside -- that is just stupendous. I love everything about that hat.

My understanding is that it is easy but time consuming. You just have to let the felt age for a half century or so. The Clearwater web site is deplorable but your new hat looks very elegant. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I am not aware of anyone being able to replicate the old Derby / Bowler / Melone construction (felt, brim curling, binding). The ability to make them correctly went away some time in 1960s. As demand went way down the process must have been too labor intensive and costly to survive.

DRB

One Too Many
Bowlerman: I am not a big fan of bowlers but that sure looks good on you.

Josh::couch2: You look very comfortable in it. Have fun.

DRB

One Too Many
Size 59cm with very nice + unique gun metal gray Velour. This one was made in the GDR probably early 1960s.

5456975760_7aac00d2d4_b.jpg

5456978360_709e72f79c_b.jpg

Steve that is going in my top 20, looks like I have to clean out some room in that top 20 directory for this hat! The ribbon is the icing on the cake.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miller Boltaron Derby

IMG_4530s.jpg

IMG_4537s.jpg

IMG_4538s.jpg

Size 7 1/2 so really between 1 and 2 sizes too small but it seems bowlers/derbies were used this way and I haven't been able to find a larger size vintage.

I have a whole bunch of hats that I've never posted and I'll be posting them a
little at a time.

Sam

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Nice Equestrian Derby. I used to buy boots from Millers Harness Co. in New York. Looks brand new :) In Saddleseat riding or Hunt classes men haven't worn Derby's in over 50years so I'm betting it is a large womens Derby. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe