Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I think that is the difference between a "collector" and a "wearer."

A collector will buy ANY hat that fills a spot in his collection, regardless of its size. They want the hat as an example of a style, a model, a maker, a color, whatever.

But a wearer will pass up any hat that doesn't fit simply because he cannot use it.

When I first started doing this, I thought I might like to be a "collector." But I soon realized that I haven't the space to store such a collection nor the money to do it right. So, I retooled and decided to be a wearer and buy only hats I WOULD wear and COULD wear.

I sold off all the styles that don't look good on me and sold all the hats that don't fit me (but one). And now am restricting myself to my preferred styles and my size.

AAHHH, with age comes wisdom. Well said, MV.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I'm about ready to take my foot off the gas for a while and wear what I have. (hmmm... I wonder if that's been said before.)

Over the last 2 months I've been saying to myself that I have about all the hats I need for all situations.

Both of you guys need to listen to yourselves . . . for the sakes of the other size 7 hat wearers who haunt the bay! ;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Both of you guys need to listen to yourselves . . . for the sakes of the other size 7 hat wearers who haunt the bay! ;)

AGREED! For a while, us size 7 wearers seemed to get some really great deals, but in the last couple of months, prices for size 7 stuff has dramatically gone up.....wonder why....hmmm.......;)

I am some what of a collector. If I see a really rare one in a small size I will go for it. I have come across some amazing small size hats that I have passed on. There are good number of 7 1/4 (58cm, 5 1/2 Point) out there but larger than that it gets really difficult and you pay the $$$.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
5390949260_62a4377e5f_z.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
No vacuum or brush, just pulled off the wrap and stuffing and shaped.

5390381369_5f8c268031_z.jpg

What is it? It looks just horrible on you. You should send it to me immediately for disposal....

Truthfully, if you were to only wear one brim width (I know how funny that sounds) I think thats it!

B

rlk

I'll Lock Up
What is it? It looks just horrible on you. You should send it to me immediately for disposal....

Truthfully, if you were to only wear one brim width (I know how funny that sounds) I think thats it!

B

Thanks Bill,

Its a Bantam Cervo from Bulgaria(Early WW2). Here's the dimensions: 5-1/4" x 2-1/4". My 4th Cervo Bantam and no two have the same felt.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Cervo Bantam

5391070986_ff2baeaf31_b.jpg
5390465849_ec8664619e_b.jpg

This was listed a second time after no buyers the first listing. 44 days in transit. Previous one took 18 days by same service. Very light and soft.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Here is what came via UPS today. "Brown" done brought it…

A Stetsonian in a pleasing gray, size seven. Soft felt with a gray ribbon. It has some interesting double stitching on the top on the brim binding. One row on the binding and one row of stitching about 1/8 up into the brim (because the binding is wider underneath the brim than it is on top).

5390508791_f534d284ef.jpg

5391115824_1c0b19476a.jpg

5391116024_9904833d99.jpg

5391116102_3079c29474.jpg

Also, I guess we can assume this is early 1950s with the O.P.S. tag in it. This makes my first lid with the O.P.S. tag in it, too.

5391116180_2fe44d203a.jpg

5391116230_2fcdc42f94.jpg

5391116268_dabe1cb655.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
THAT is one nice, nice looking hat ! (I'm VERY partial to bound brims:) ) It looks like you just brought it home from the store !! And to think it sells for only $12.50 :) Is it a 2 1/2" brim or bigger ?

Onward thru the Fog :)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Monbla, that is a 2-3/4 inch brim on that Stetsonian. This is the first Stetsonian I've come across, myself, though I've seen a few here on the Lounge. I am also a big fan of the bound brims. Most of mine are.

Dan, thanks for the support. If I tell my wife the guy on the Lounge like it, maybe she won't be as mad at me??

OK, it was worth a try.

(Happily, this one came in while she was at the grocery store, so she'll never know it came in!!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael