Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Alan, I THOUGHT that was you I was bidding against!

Yes, the wrinkle came out very easily. I just did it a few minutes ago (I should have waited to take my photos!) In fact, the wrinkles weren't as bad as the auction made them appear. The felt is very soft, so it took a new shape well.

I am happy with this one, but it should mark as my last gray fedora (at least for a while). I have enough gray ones, now. I didn't have one with a gray ribbon and now I have one. I have about three gray hats w/black ribbon, a gray w/brown ribbon, a gray w/gray ribbon, and a gray with a thin ribbon. I think that is enough gray at this point!

I am done with gray (and brown hats, too) I think.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
5391070986_ff2baeaf31_b.jpg

How does this European Bantam compare to a Stetson Bantam?

Dinerman had one that looked very similar in proportions at least. He posted it about 5 months back.

IMG_4228.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
How does this European Bantam compare to a Stetson Bantam?

Dinerman had one that looked very similar in proportions at least. He posted it about 5 months back.

I haven't handled one of those early Stetson Bantams, but they are similar in vintage and concept: a sporty-lightweight hat. Different felt and finish styles and the binding on the Stetson.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Strange Cavanagh

5391501284_825650a264_b.jpg
5391473232_8f51c9b901_z.jpg

5390921237_6f8ff4bf15_z.jpg
5390892881_b7b1497dc1_z.jpg

I don't know what this creature is. The edge and flanging is just weird. Quality is poor for a Cavanagh--both felt and stitching.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'm about ready to take my foot off the gas for a while and wear what I have. (hmmm... I wonder if that's been said before.)

Hmmmmm. I'm thinking of a certain notorious acquirer of lids who had a countdown to a moratorium which failed to occur. I must say we're all the better for it! I would also add I've enjoyed your run as well, Alan:D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
That sweatband is cool! It looks really supple. Is it in good shape?

Its an unused hat. Other than being stored in a stack apparently(all these Bulgarian Zlateff hats have that slight inward dent at the center of the sides at the base of the crown-visible in the sweatband dimples).

5390465849_ec8664619e_b.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino XX Colombo

5393707682_401e5d1e95_z.jpg
5393139603_9ce085b0fc_z.jpg

Chocolaty good "Cola" brown. Very thick and soft velour. Early 50's or older. 2-5/8" brim.

Last edited:
Chocolaty good "Cola" brown. Very thick and soft velour. Early 50's or older. 2-5/8" brim.

Very nice and very similar to my velour Borso posted earlier. Seems to also have the crackly coating over the reed - almost like a lacquer on mine. Most of it was gone on the brown one I have - I wound up removing it all, exposing the fabric covering over the natural reed.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I took a huge risk on a pair of hats today. I've been looking for a white one for a long time and found a BIN for $110, but the seller had bad photos and said the white was "dirty" and the tan hat had moth tracks. I am on pins and needles until this gets in to see if I wasted my money or not. This is the first time I've made such a big speculation before. Fingers crossed.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Robert, that's a sweet color on your new Colombo. Now I gotta keep an eye out for a Cola one to go with my grey Colombo.

Brad

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I haven't handled one of those early Stetson Bantams, but they are similar in vintage and concept: a sporty-lightweight hat. Different felt and finish styles and the binding on the Stetson.

It would be an interesting side by side comparison. Where did the name "Bantam" come from? Does it have a certain meaning besides the representation of a lightweight hat?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe