Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
P1252578.jpg

Ok this one I think looks ready for the town. Opinions would be appreciated

I think you chose wisely. That looks fantastic on you Teach!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Thanks very much for the replies.

OK, Alan -- you're killin' me with that post! Holy Smoke -- that Knox is absolutely stunning! Superb condition, and colors to die for. Congrats!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap The stretcher is amazing, as well. Very cool. Looks like you hit the Daily Double...

It was actually a trifecta +1. Yesterday I couldn't do anything right and every phone call was a disaster zone. Today was much better.

That is an amazing hat Alan. Just out of curiosity, how much approximately does one pay for a lid of that caliber on the bay? I want to know if I'm getting okay prices on my purchases..

Alex, the numbers are all over the place. Copywriting, photo quality, hotness of the brand/style and the day of the week and a thousand other things will leave two similar items (take a Stetson 25 Open Road) selling for a hundred dollars or five hundred. The more time you spend on ebay, the better handle you will get on these things. Just be careful - the tuition can be costly! This hat had twenty bids - the winning bid was $113 plus shipping. I also bought a fabulous navy homburg the same day from the same seller - a style less in demand, it drew three bids and went for $39.00.

hope that helps.

warbird

One Too Many
I won't keep a hat that won't fit me, knowing that someone else could wear it and enjoy it. That's why I always try to sell a hat here first. If they are active here, I know they appreciate hats and wear them with pride. I have in the past even bought a hat I found for a good deal in an antique shop or similar and sold or given it to someone I knew, or on here, because I knew they would like it and think it a good find. Even vintage collectibles deserve to be worn and enjoyed by the appreciating connoisseur.

Alex

Practically Family
Alex, the numbers are all over the place. Copywriting, photo quality, hotness of the brand/style and the day of the week and a thousand other things will leave two similar items (take a Stetson 25 Open Road) selling for a hundred dollars or five hundred. The more time you spend on ebay, the better handle you will get on these things. Just be careful - the tuition can be costly! This hat had twenty bids - the winning bid was $113 plus shipping. I also bought a fabulous navy homburg the same day from the same seller - a style less in demand, it drew three bids and went for $39.00.

hope that helps.
Thanks Alan. I'm new to fedoras AND ebay, but I'm learning more every day thanks to you gents.

Here are the other two hats that arrived today... then I will back off... for a few days!

This one from the same seller as the Knox 20... a FL'er perhaps?... the photos do not do it justice, taken before brushing the dust off. The color is a lush navy/black - the crown, 6" open. Anyone know the maker? French Canadian perhaps? Chapeau Richelieu with the British royal crest. Grosgrain band on the brim is even all around not dimensional as in most Homburgs. Neo, I hope you were not bidding on this... I know you had looked at it.

richelieu1.jpg

richelieu2.jpg

richelieu3.jpg

richelieu4.jpg

Last but certainly not least is a Schoble Mainliner from an esteemed Lounger's auction... gray with a purple cast, in perfect shape. Okay, I'm done!

schoble1.jpg

schoble3.jpg

schoble2.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
Alan, as you already know and appreciate, that is a beautiful Knox and I really like that Schoble as well. You're off the deep end, but we all love seeing them here!

Historyteach - you did well on that wider brim and taller crown!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan, I keep rolling back page after page and seeing your hat collection growing and growing and growing! You have scored some really beautiful hats lately!

Thanks... I wish I could say it's youthful enthusiasm, but it's just enthusiasm.

I have been very fortunate to find some great hats a little later in the game than many. I'm about ready to take my foot off the gas for a while and wear what I have. (hmmm... I wonder if that's been said before.)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I'm about ready to take my foot off the gas for a while and wear what I have. (hmmm... I wonder if that's been said before.)

This will be harder than you think!

Over the last 2 months I've been saying to myself that I have about all the hats I need for all situations. All I really want, I tell myself, is a nice white hat and a green one and I'll have all the primary colors. And YET, I've bought 7 hats during that time period that I keep saying I want to cool it for a while!!

To misquote a crappy movie that came out a few years ago... "Hats, I just can't quit you."

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I won't keep a hat that won't fit me, knowing that someone else could wear it and enjoy it.

I think that is the difference between a "collector" and a "wearer."

A collector will buy ANY hat that fills a spot in his collection, regardless of its size. They want the hat as an example of a style, a model, a maker, a color, whatever.

But a wearer will pass up any hat that doesn't fit simply because he cannot use it.

When I first started doing this, I thought I might like to be a "collector." But I soon realized that I haven't the space to store such a collection nor the money to do it right. So, I retooled and decided to be a wearer and buy only hats I WOULD wear and COULD wear.

I sold off all the styles that don't look good on me and sold all the hats that don't fit me (but one). And now am restricting myself to my preferred styles and my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe