Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
theinterchange said:
*Cross posted in the 2010 Straw Whippet thread

Well, Monday I gave in to temptation I've been fighting and called the HATCO outlet in Garland, Tx to see if they had any Whippets in my size. They did, and I had one on its way to me that evening. :p

where the heck have I been??? you can call them and they'll ship????

ok, I'll search around here and find that number!

Mr Vim said:
Screenshot2010-09-23at30949PM.png

Nice lid, when you're not wearing it, I'd keep it on the strecher, I've had issues with hats shrinking back to their original size.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Mr Vim said:
Broker, Interchange, those are fine straws fellas!
Okay, I posted this hat originally when I bought it, but the hat was too small, and the crown was not quite right for me: It's a Penney's Marathon from the 50's.

Very nice. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Randy! I am enjoying mine too. I understand the stiffness bit; I worried too but it snapped down fine and I worked the wrinkles right out.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Nice Randy! I am enjoying mine too. I understand the stiffness bit; I worried too but it snapped down fine and I worked the wrinkles right out.

Thank you, Mr. Paladin! Did you leave the Stetson tag on yours? Funny, when seeing it in photos I told myself I'd remove it immediately, but now that I have the hat, I can't decide if I should remove it or not. [huh]

Randy

kenmcneill

Familiar Face
Two new Akubras in the last two weeks, I think I have the bug...

Angler -
kmac_angler.jpg

Coober Pedy -
kmac_cooberpedy.jpg

I'm really liking the Coober Pedy, I think it suits me well. The jury is still out on the Angler, but I'm sure it will grow on me. Very pleased with the quality, and the service from David Morgan was outstanding.

Now I need a fedora!

Ken
bbcool2.gif

Mr E Train

One Too Many
kenmcneill said:

Angler -
http://www.bluemoonkites.com/images/forums/kmac_angler.jpg
Coober Pedy -
http://www.bluemoonkites.com/images/forums/kmac_cooberpedy.jpg

I'm really liking the Coober Pedy, I think it suits me well. The jury is still out on the Angler, but I'm sure it will grow on me. Very pleased with the quality, and the service from David Morgan was outstanding.

Now I need a fedora!

I like them both, but I especially like the Coober Pedy. Both those hats are technically fedoras because they're in a fedora shape. Sort of "country fedoras".

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
I like them both, but I especially like the Coober Pedy. Both those hats are technically fedoras because they're in a fedora shape. Sort of "country fedoras".

I really like them too, but I don't think I would call them fedoras. I would call them outbacks. While similar, and naturally blurred at the edges, I think they are distinct styles.

theinterchange

One Too Many
kenmcneill said:
Coober Pedy -
kmac_cooberpedy.jpg

I have to say that this is my favorite on you. For some reason, I didn't realize the Coober Pedy came with a ribbon, thought it had a leather band.

Here's my take on the Angler... In my opinion, it's the shiny leather band that detracts from the overall look. The hat itself is great on you, but the band almost doesn't match the look/feel of the hat... too "showy" for what's labeled and designed as a fishing hat. Just my two cents, take it with a grain of salt if you like. ;) Of course, the leather band is an inexpensive and easy thing to change.

Randy

One Too Many
Nice hats ¡¡¡¡

kenmcneill said:

Angler -
kmac_angler.jpg

Coober Pedy -
kmac_cooberpedy.jpg

Now I need a fedora

Ken
bbcool2.gif
Hi brother, welcome to lounge where you will spend happy time, beauty hats, the colors are so cool and the combination ribbons too, go to store right now and pick a fedora and post.lol lol lol

kenmcneill

Familiar Face
theinterchange said:
...I didn't realize the Coober Pedy came with a ribbon, thought it had a leather band.

Here's my take on the Angler... In my opinion, it's the shiny leather band that detracts from the overall look.

Thanks Randy. Both hats are from David Morgan, who have there own trim versions for some of the hats. The Aussie version of the Coober Pedy does come with a leather band, as well as a small opal. I've not see that version in person, but I really like the thin ribbon - a very understated look.

The Aussie version of the Angler has the same barramundi (fish skin) band, but shows as coming with a shark's tooth. Good thought on the band finish detracting from the look. I may try to de-gloss it a little and see if that works better.

Thanks all, for the welcome and kind words!

Ken
bbcool2.gif

theinterchange

One Too Many
kenmcneill said:
Thanks Randy. Both hats are from David Morgan, who have there own trim versions for some of the hats. The Aussie version of the Coober Pedy does come with a leather band, as well as a small opal. I've not see that version in person, but I really like the thin ribbon - a very understated look.

The Aussie version of the Angler has the same barramundi (fish skin) band, but shows as coming with a shark's tooth. Good thought on the band finish detracting from the look. I may try to de-gloss it a little and see if that works better.

Thanks all, for the welcome and kind words!

Ken
bbcool2.gif

You're welcome. Like I said, both are great hats on you. Well, the Angler's band could be less shiny in person, flash has a way of exaggerating things. I'd almost be concerned about damaging the barramundi band, but would be interested in seeing an after photo if you did work on it.

jbucklin said:
....I went to the Garland Hatco Outlet and got this Stetson Temple:

Photo214.jpg

Nice find! I WISH I lived around one of their outlets. I just got a Whippet from them, and am thinking of checking on a few more hats in the very near future.

Did you see many fedoras while there?

Randy

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
UNBEFUGGINLEVABLE!

Cane Rod Maker said:
Some of the inside...The quality of the Felt on this hat blows my mind ! It is sooooo soft.

Where in Hells' half acre did you find a 7 3/4 like that. If you have a time machine, I WANT IN! AMAZING SCORE! :eusa_clap

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I agree, that is a fine hat, man oh man. That finish? What year did you say this was? Yowza.

Oh and Rob, good call on that I'll keep it stretched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe