Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
DRB said:
How did I miss this one! Holy Cow! I don't usually get jealous of other people's hats but you are making it hard not to. Congratulations!! You should be able to wear that with most any color clothing I assume. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ditto!:eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
DRB said:
How did I miss this one! Holy Cow! I don't usually get jealous of other people's hats but you are making it hard not to. Congratulations!! You should be able to wear that with most any color clothing I assume. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Thanks again. The photo is quite color accurate(on my monitor). A quiet hat despite the strong contrast:Warmer and softer than white felt/dark green ribbon less hard than black + slightly cool.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
5009223252_753daba0cd_z.jpg

Wow. I can't really say much about this wonderfull lid and so I'll just confine myself to sit, marvel and drool... :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

:eek:fftopic:

Hmmm...

Sit, marvel & drool. Somehow this sounds as if it could be a jingle for a retirement home for old rockers. I can already see the liner notes before me:

"Back in 1954 we used have a great time hanging out with the ladies. One day we captued that feeling, turned it into a song and called it Shake, Rattle & Roll, because that's what it was like back then: Shake, Rattle & Roll. Now that we've become older, there are still all those pretty girls out there, but for us today all that Shake, Rattle & Roll has merely turned into Sit, Marvel & Drool..."

Ahem...back to subject... :p :D

my first "Empire State Hat"

not much info around the lounge on the brand, but it "tops 'em all." Not a bad score for $18 on OFAS. it's a bluish gray and a really stovepipe crown. I'm guessing '50's. The felt is well worn in spots, but nothing all the way thru. it also has a moth nibble on the top, but it's not thru either., but the sweat is in really great shape and still supple.

I have 2 gallons of naphtha and want to give it a bath to see if it cleans up any, it looks really dingy and discolored in spots. I just need to find something with a lid that it will fit in. I have a 3 gal bucket but it won't set flat in it.

IMG_5354.JPG

IMG_5356.JPG

IMG_5357.JPG

IMG_5358.JPG

and finally, the ugly mug shot

IMG_5360.JPG

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
RobFedoraField said:

Very nice Rob!!! I love the wide bound brim. Ive seen a couple Empire State Hats here on the lounge, but they dont come up very often. I want one! They just look cool to me. The sweatband looks like very high quality. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I've been looking on OFAS for another straw but it's hard to find one for everyday wear that has a wide brim - most of the affordable ones have brims 2" or less. I finally manged to pick up this nice NOS Stetson Hampton with a 2 5/8 brim for cheap!

The color is Olive, but it can appear to be either brown or even gray depending on the lighting.

5017832645_989ea18761.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Stetson Straw Whippet

*Cross posted in the 2010 Straw Whippet thread

Well, Monday I gave in to temptation I've been fighting and called the HATCO outlet in Garland, Tx to see if they had any Whippets in my size. They did, and I had one on its way to me that evening.

The box just arrived!
5018503226_3b24ca43bf_z.jpg

Had to get a shot that included the shipping box and presentation box.

5017899045_6ab6a1deb0_z.jpg

Side profile

5018504422_9a21dc60e1_z.jpg

When I snapped the brim down, I'll admit to being more than a little scared, it's given me a few wrinkles in the straw as you can see.

5018505324_daa60820b0_z.jpg

The crown was a little surprise, I expected it to just be rounded in the teardrop.

It fits a tad large, but nothing a little sizing tape won't cure.

Overall, my first impression of the hat is very positive. A few nice surprises like the crown treatment and the sweatband I expected to be cloth which turned out to be... pleather?

This is the first new Stetson I've bought in at least 10 years, and I'm fairly certain it won't be my last! Now I'm saving up for a Stetson felt to give them a fair shake.

Randy

P.S Will get the all important on head shot shortly, just excited to have this in hand and couldn't wait to post! :p

thebroker

One of the Regulars
New PB Optimo

This has been a great hat week for me...new Stetson on Tuesday, and a box in this morning's mail from Panama Bob. Here's the PB Optimo that came this morning...tomorrow, I'll wear the new PB Quevedo that also came today.

IMG_0265.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Broker, Interchange, those are fine straws fellas!

Okay, I posted this hat originally when I bought it, but the hat was too small, and the crown was not quite right for me: It's a Penney's Marathon from the 50's.

Here's the hat originally.
Front:
IMG_4831.jpg

Side:
Screenshot2010-09-23at31309PM.png

Crown:
Screenshot2010-09-23at31252PM.png

And here's the hat after a stretch and some reshaping (my first attempt at such a thing) I'm really pleased with the result!

Crown:
Screenshot2010-09-23at30914PM.png

Side:
Screenshot2010-09-23at30924PM.png

On my head:
Screenshot2010-09-23at30949PM.png

RBH

Bartender
Lloyd said:
I really like the Milan. Stats please?
Thanks Lloyd.

The color is honey brown, the brim is 2 5\8s, the front of the crown is right at 5 inches and the back comes in at 4 1\4 I would say. It has a sweet teardrop crease and the straw is not stiff but reminds me of felt ...if you can understand what I mean.
If I would have had this hat at the start of summer I would have it wore out by now. :D

Mr Vim

One Too Many
RBH said:
It has a sweet teardrop crease and the straw is not stiff but reminds me of felt ...if you can understand what I mean.
:D

Do you mean summer straw? I have a hat made from that material and it is remarkably pliable and easily shaped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe