Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Alan's right, it's '30s to early-'40s, probably mid-'30s or so. We'll see if there are any other clues when you receive it. Nice find!

Iconic Dunlap

This hat has been documented with excellent pictures in the Dunlap Drive-in and in this thread which began with this hat and ended with Art's brilliant dualist. Guessing the date is a crap shoot. It does have the frayed ribbon and taped sweat that suggest 1930s. The supple sweatband and stitching spacing seems to me much more in character with a 1940s hat. The only marking I can find is a very simple unbranded manufacturing tag attached to the back of the sweatband. It does not look like the early examples in the Dunlap Drive-In, but it is also different than the tag that appeared in many HCA brands in the 1950s. The imprints are deep embossments - you can just see that the Prager's stamp was done in copper foil. Prager's Dept. Store was based in San Francisco and operated stores in Portland OR and Seattle WA.

The hat weighs 3.5 ounces. The felt body extends upward from the flange about 5/8 of an inch - the straw crown fits over the felt and covers it completely to where it meets the brim. Beautiful construction, perfectly preserved... I'm thrilled to have it.

halfbreed1.jpg

halfbreed2.jpg

halfbreed3.jpg

Last edited:

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Alan, good looking hat....Your face in the noggin shot looks just like your avatar face....Is that really you in the avatar pic?

halfbreed1.jpg

halfbreed2.jpg

halfbreed3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Dog-gone that is the perfect hat for the perfect home. Seredipity at it's best!

Alan, the hat looks great on you. Wow, that is just a fine special hat. I can not wait to see pics of you wearing it more.

Dreaming of Dualists, Eric -

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe