Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Finally got one, but when I saw the little box is came in... I...
How the h3ll can you put a 5" brim hat inside a USPS Regional Rate Box C...

bigcountry01.jpg

bigcountry02.jpg

bigcountry03.jpg

bigcountry04.jpg

bigcountry05.jpg

bigcountry06.jpg

bigcountry07.jpg

bigcountry08.jpg

Now I have to fix it's brim. As being a 4x, last drop liner and ticket size with 59 + 7 1/4, I presume it is a modern Stetson.
I think I'm gonna enjoy this larger hatband. Maybe I'll get some for other hats. Don't know about the feathers if I remove them or not.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I feel your pain regarding the hat being shipped in too small of a box. I posted pics recently of receiving a similarly packaged hat. I'm still working on getting the felt smoothed out, and may have to send it to someone to have it blocked.

SR-71

New in Town
New to me hat that is on the way...

Picked this up on eBay today... Cool story behind The hat, if true, but I thought a nice older Stetson would be a nice add. I have never seen this liner before. I think this is a full western vs. open road, but still worth a shot for the price. Story was that this is a WWII soldiers personal hat sold in an estate sale and showed the letter where he was recommended for a bronze star. I just thought it was cool and the price was right.

bb331dd03be772407cee1456a16caaeb.jpg

b08c87058c160b6cb4ef2a2576190780.jpg

59b3cd1059e01400e045da25b2de8f44.jpg

736ae87de5efecf0ed0beee8b2a1f8a9.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I feel your pain regarding the hat being shipped in too small of a box. I posted pics recently of receiving a similarly packaged hat. I'm still working on getting the felt smoothed out, and may have to send it to someone to have it blocked.
I saw those pictures and feared the same happened to this one. But only the brim needs reshaping. The crown is really nice.

Joao, that hat will surely keep the sun off your face!
Oh yes it will :D
My next question is can I drive my car wearing it...

Congrats on that one Joao, even if it is a little wonky from the trip over. I've had my eye out for awhile for a good deal on a big brim western like that. Can't wait to see it when you get it right.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Monte

Practically Family
Joao, I'm curious to see how that brim turns out for you. Maybe with a brim that wide, you could give it a pencil roll look.
SR-71, cool old Stetson western. It should fit in nicely in TX. There is a large farmer/rancher population up here who wear their cowboy hats daily. I tried to stop being such a country boy but it's impossible for me...I like cowboy hats too much. :eusa_doh:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Found this on Etsy. I'm sort of baffled at figuring out the age of the hat. It's handmade, very lightweight, and the material is very soft with a furry texture. It has the specs of typical '30s Fedoras, short brim, very tall crown that flairs slightly at the top. The sweatband is very tall and the label has "Reg. US Pat. Office" wording. What confuses me and makes me think this is a '50s or later hat is the ornamental wind trolley and that it says "hand shrunken" on the front. Though unlike postwar fedoras it doesn't have the plastic cover on the liner. I leave it to you hat experts to use your expertise and help me date this hat! New or old it's still very nice! Might consider selling it as it's a few sizes too big for me.

CIMG6338_zps9c989e3c.jpg

CIMG6340_zps28eaf47c.jpg

CIMG6341_zps7966193b.jpg

CIMG6342_zps71be8dd1.jpg

CIMG6351_zps1ca16731.jpg

CIMG6352_zps835219d2.jpg

CIMG6353_zps933d66da.jpg

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GoldenEraFan - I'm no expert, but I don't think the wind trolley precludes an older hat. I'd have guessed at 40's, but it's a guess... Nice looking hat anyway.

Roan

One of the Regulars
Very cool hat GoldenEraFan! I don't have a lot of experience in such matters but, it certainly looks 30's to me. Great hat either way!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The silhouette of the hat looks very 30s - but the typographics don't. The gold print typeface on the sweatband looks a lot younger, and so does the lettering on the reorder label (except the logo).

The "Hand Shrunk Edge" would be an obvious alternative name for a felted edge, but as I see the pictures, it looks like a raw edge. Could it be a 40s/50s hat, that had it's brim butchered during the 60s stingy fad?

My guess is that it's quite a bit younger, but as others have indicated: Who cares? It's a lovely hat :)

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I'd agree with Garrett.

"Hand Shrunk Edge" is new to me! it looks to be a simple raw edge. Is it?

Yes Baron! It has a raw edge! Thanks for the comments guys! I definitely think it's a nice hat, but I can't help but be curious pinning a date to it since I've been trying to hone my skills on how to date them every new hat I buy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe