Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My recent experience with Alexander Leathers...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm a new poster (lurked, although never liked that term for quite a while).

chance meeting at MCN bike show and I can see my missus getting very user when the wardrobe starts to get full of leather! :)

Can't wait to post pics, especially of the russet buffalo!
Just wondered, did you get down to the NEC bike show? Comparisons? The London MCN show was very expensive for the size as the NEC was 3 times that for roughly the same entry, Suzuki did not attend, not much in the way of bits n pieces. No non motorcycling leathers unless you count the asian stalls selling their unknown stuff.
John

Scotia_steve

New in Town
Just wondered, did you get down to the NEC bike show? Comparisons? The London MCN show was very expensive for the size as the NEC was 3 times that for roughly the same entry, Suzuki did not attend, not much in the way of bits n pieces. No non motorcycling leathers unless you count the asian stalls selling their unknown stuff.
John

I wasn't overly impressed, took my 2 year old and she loved it. Never been to NEC though. Funny thing was leather stand next to AL I had asked if they had horse hide jackets and the bloke told me illegal :D

Only ever spent a couple of hours at shows like these, prefer to be riding!

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Steve, you brought up the subject of price, so I hope you do not mind me continuing the theme.
It was my impression that AL had some jackets on sale simply to quickly off load whatever was hanging about with their old label. Any new work would be full price.
The bike show would seem to be a great place to get rid of old stock. Were the jackets there the sale items, or new label jackets?
Secondly, with all the extra effort AL have put in for you, are you looking at commissioning work specifically for yourself, or just multiple sale items?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
These sale jackets are being made to generate cash flow. I'd take the label business with a large pinch of salt. When I spoke to them on the phone I asked if there would be anymore at this price. Or were they simply being sold cheap to generate cash flow and when they're gone that's it. The reply was, yes something like that.

Of course if they can't convert enough sale price customers to full price ones there may be more. But selling at that price is not going to make money.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really don't know. It was just related to me as to how the big brands try to pay even less for wholesale. :eeek:

Scotia_steve

New in Town
Steve, you brought up the subject of price, so I hope you do not mind me continuing the theme.
It was my impression that AL had some jackets on sale simply to quickly off load whatever was hanging about with their old label. Any new work would be full price.
The bike show would seem to be a great place to get rid of old stock. Were the jackets there the sale items, or new label jackets?
Secondly, with all the extra effort AL have put in for you, are you looking at commissioning work specifically for yourself, or just multiple sale items?

So the first I bought was a full weight smooth brown steerhide, stood by itself on day 1. It had zip cuffs which I liked and fitted perfectly. White label and aside from a couple if small imperfections, pretty good. It has ykk zips.

Second was the full price jacket in Russet Buffalo. I tried on another in black but I wasn't so keen on the supple leather feel and it was very heavy. I love them both, I just wore the russet roadster today and it's warm with storm cuffs, no idea how it will wear but it needs to loosen up a little.

Regarding more - yes, I'm now hooked thanks to you lot here! I'd like a smooth black horsehide roadster or Detroit. I'd also like the longer one in Bren (forget the name). What made me choose AL was chance (bike show) but aso they guys were really nice there, so I echo posters experience. Price and availability will always be a factor for me!

I'm just a bloke who has read these forums or a while and appreciates true craftsmanship, and such as have 3 Saddleback leather bags!

I read a bit if the history, but as a new guy to here and to the quality of leather jackets we all wear, don't care about that and although appreciate people's sentiments, never get involved in forum crap, it's a bit dull. If they don't produce a jacket of similar Aero fqhh Horween quality I will source elsewhere, but for now my wife would kill me if I bought another!

I will however post pics ASAP. It's all about he jacket after all.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Steve, good to hear that you are so impressed and inspired by your full price jacket.
Sorry to hear that you received a factory seconds with imperfections as your sale jacket. I had seen them marketed as the same quality as the new AL label.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't overly impressed, took my 2 year old and she loved it. Never been to NEC though. Funny thing was leather stand next to AL I had asked if they had horse hide jackets and the bloke told me illegal :D

Only ever spent a couple of hours at shows like these, prefer to be riding!
Horse is usually used only on retro style bike jackets, that is the old replica Buco and 1940s-50s style motorcycle jackets. Anything modern such as my Power Ranger Dainese suit are usually made from cow/steer or Kangaroo.
I spend ages at the shows, I have to look at everything except the no name Asian gear sellers. Harley Davidson usually have a good stand but no gear at either show, even in their showrooms they do not stock any Horse jackets. Well, not that I have seen.
Yes I love riding but like to enjoy my days out. This weather is not helping but out tomorrow to the Southend Shakedown Ace Cafe event.
J

If H-D make, er sell quality gear, I've never seen it. All the stuff I've come across is the opposite of the bikes they sell - branded mall crap. Granted, I don't look at tons of H-D dealers or shops, but what I've seen is disappointing. Same for the likes of Triumph. Really crappy and overpriced stuff.

Scotia_steve

New in Town
Steve, good to hear that you are so impressed and inspired by your full price jacket.
Sorry to hear that you received a factory seconds with imperfections as your sale jacket. I had seen them marketed as the same quality as the new AL label.

No, not a factory second at all, just character in the leather I should have been clear - but I like that and I had dozens to choose from. They are both as good, although the moleskin in the buffalo is stunning.

Zips are different - I prefer the Talon, but the look of the Ykk...

Incredible deal and can't stop wearing them both, difficuly is choosing them.

Scotia_steve

New in Town
Horse is usually used only on retro style bike jackets, that is the old replica Buco and 1940s-50s style motorcycle jackets. Anything modern such as my Power Ranger Dainese suit are usually made from cow/steer or Kangaroo.
I spend ages at the shows, I have to look at everything except the no name Asian gear sellers. Harley Davidson usually have a good stand but no gear at either show, even in their showrooms they do not stock any Horse jackets. Well, not that I have seen.
Yes I love riding but like to enjoy my days out. This weather is not helping but out tomorrow to the Southend Shakedown Ace Cafe event.
J

My Alpinestars will continue to be used on my SP1!

These two will get used on the GS, 72 CB750 and xjr1300sp on the way to work!

If H-D make, er sell quality gear, I've never seen it. All the stuff I've come across is the opposite of the bikes they sell - branded mall crap. Granted, I don't look at tons of H-D dealers or shops, but what I've seen is disappointing. Same for the likes of Triumph. Really crappy and overpriced stuff.

....For sure.

IXL

One Too Many

Some of the H-D jacket offerings are actually quite good. H-D uses many vendors, some are better than others. As a whole, they aren't all that great, but now and then a particular jacket model, whose construction and materials are completely up to the job, will pop up for a brief time. In the last few years they have even had a few made-in-U.S.A. jackets.
I have noticed, though, that most customers I have had contact with at the dealerships don't seem to know the difference between various levels of quality and construction.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Agree 100%
The last Harley Davidson branded horse jacket I had was a 1980s jacket, a bit like the old Cycle Champ. Just something I bought to sell on. It was a new old stock item but even that had the embossed HD on the back and was made in Italy. The zip pull was on the left so must have been made for the European market.
I visited Lakeside HD over here recently, not one item made in USA. I am not really a Harley person but I like some gear(the shirts) though I was a little disappointed about the non USA thing.
As for bike parts, just how many items can you fit with the HD Logo.(Must be more than for a Busa haha)
J

I thought I read somewhere that some H-D jackets were rebranded Schotts. Makes sense, but not sure.
Either way, when you're pimping expensive bikes, why not sell good gear too? Kinda odd to me, but I guess maybe they're not fine jacket clientele? Hard to believe...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's the halo effect. If you sell one big expensive product, people assume all the equally-expensive add-ons must be of a similar quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe