Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Anneloes

New in Town
I love Mad Men, it is my favorite series right now.. unfortunately we now have to wait till summer (?) for the next season [huh] I agree that it is really a show where nothing actually happens, but I like it just as much for the perfect historical accuracy of everything in it! The third season was definitely better than the first seasons though, in terms of what was going on at least. I think they finished broadcasting the first season here now, but I doubt it has caught on because I never heard anything from it after the first episode aired..

91f6zt.gif

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Oprah had a 50-60's theme show today, mostly old TV shows but with one Mad Men segment featuring John Hamm and January Jones, who sadly came off as a dolt.........:(

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
mad men fashion

popup.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/fashion/17CODES.html

DRESS CODES
Dressing for Success, Again

Young men are embracing the “Mad Men” elements of style in a way that the older men never did, still don’t and just won’t. The result is a kind of rift emerging between the generation of men in their 20s and 30s and those in their late 40s and 50s for whom a suit was not merely square but cubed, and caring about how one looked was effeminate.

32166273.JPG

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
habberdasher said:
That's an interesting article. I'm younger and dress classically and I've been thinking that it itself is a kind of rebellion-and now here's the truth. On the second photo that tie looks too thick for the 60s but the flat-bottomed knit is classic for the era.

well none of its vintage, its all jsut a fashion spread slideshow of current designers:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/12/16/fashion/20091217-codes-slideshow_3.html

32166273.JPG

Black Fleece tweed cashmere cardigan jacket with grosgrain trim, $950 at Brooks Brothers; plaid cotton shirt, $89, and wool pants, $149, both at Club Monaco; silk knit tie, $69.50 at Paul Stuart; feathered-edge calfskin belt, $88 at Brooks Brothers.

And yes, both the beatles & james bond wore that style of tie...but thinner:
3665358028_79e684f54c.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It's funny. The illustrations with the NYT article have a real po-mo, ironic, hipster slant to them that I don't really feel is as present in the "dressing well" movement as it used to be. Certainly the present swell of sartorial interest owes some of its origins to the almost-parody, midcentury trends of ten years ago, but I think all of that has matured into the more serious behavior of looking nice for it's own sake, as the article describes it, and as public interest in Mad Men itself would seem to show.

Am I wrong? In my commute between Gopher Prarie and Zenith, I'm not always on the cutting edge of these things.

-Dave

habberdasher said:
On the second photo that tie looks too thick for the 60s but the flat-bottomed knit is classic for the era.

Definitely too wide, and the trousers rise is too low. The low-rise 'hip-hugger' wasn't invented till 64 and really didn't catch on till 66. (notice Ringo's trousers are an all important smidgen higher)

Had the style thrown together for the article been actual 60s style, I would have never even been a fan of it. The plaid trousers do come close to some of the leisure wear from back then.

Regards,

Jack

habberdasher

A-List Customer
MrBern said:
Funny, there are some persons on the set of MadMen who really dont know who Robert Morse is. Seems few got the joke when he walked onto the set singing A Secretary is not a Toy.
3696433436_36ea71f4ae.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIw86LC9ugo&feature=related

3237887766_7cbb862348.jpg

4085283666_6b7608cf25.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGUt6xaKO0&

Grateful for the job...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-J2RCHvcxQ
He looked creepy young. What episode does he dance and sing that? It took me a while to understand what you were saying!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
1961 musical

habberdasher said:
He looked creepy young. What episode does he dance and sing that? It took me a while to understand what you were saying!
He doesnt dance in an episode of MadMen. He was joking around on set, but the younger folks were apparently not familiar with his role on How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
Casting Robert Morse in MadMen is a clever homage to the era.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrBern said:
He doesnt dance in an episode of MadMen. He was joking around on set, but the younger folks were apparently not familiar with his role on How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
Casting Robert Morse in MadMen is a clever homage to the era.

I really enjoyed Morse in "Guide for the Married Man" too, also from that era.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Now this is incredibly interesting...

http://h-net.org/announce/show.cgi?ID=172526

Call for Proposals: Critical Perspectives on Mad Men, Edited by Jennifer C. Dunn, Jimmie Manning, and Danielle Stern
We are currently accepting proposals for essays to be included in an edited collection on the Emmy and Peabody Award Winning television series Mad Men. We hope to edit a volume containing quality scholarship that reflects theoretical, pedagogical, or practical aspects of the series from a variety of analytical and methodological perspectives. Scholars in communication, film studies, popular culture, ethnic/race studies, feminism and gender studies, sexuality, sociology, psychology, education, or any other applicable discipline are invited to submit.

While the collection will certainly carry a scholarly tone, it is intended for a broader audience than is the case for many academic anthologies. It is our hope that educators can use this collection in the classroom, scholars can critically reflect upon theoretical ideas presented, and non-academic audiences who are fans of the program can gain new and exciting insights about a show they enjoy. With this in mind, we ask that abstracts and subsequent essays be intellectual in tone and treatment but accessible to those not pursuing or engaging a career in the academy.

Proposed essays can focus upon any of the following areas in conjunction with the series:
Adoption
Anachronisms
Art
Body image
Celebrity talk
Civil rights
Corporate Mergers
Counterculture
Divorce
Family
Food
Glass ceiling