Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

habberdasher

A-List Customer
AmateisGal said:
Now this is incredibly interesting...

http://h-net.org/announce/show.cgi?ID=172526

Call for Proposals: Critical Perspectives on Mad Men, Edited by Jennifer C. Dunn, Jimmie Manning, and Danielle Stern
We are currently accepting proposals for essays to be included in an edited collection on the Emmy and Peabody Award Winning television series Mad Men. We hope to edit a volume containing quality scholarship that reflects theoretical, pedagogical, or practical aspects of the series from a variety of analytical and methodological perspectives. Scholars in communication, film studies, popular culture, ethnic/race studies, feminism and gender studies, sexuality, sociology, psychology, education, or any other applicable discipline are invited to submit.

While the collection will certainly carry a scholarly tone, it is intended for a broader audience than is the case for many academic anthologies. It is our hope that educators can use this collection in the classroom, scholars can critically reflect upon theoretical ideas presented, and non-academic audiences who are fans of the program can gain new and exciting insights about a show they enjoy. With this in mind, we ask that abstracts and subsequent essays be intellectual in tone and treatment but accessible to those not pursuing or engaging a career in the academy.

Proposed essays can focus upon any of the following areas in conjunction with the series:
Adoption
Anachronisms
Art
Body image
Celebrity talk
Civil rights
Corporate Mergers
Counterculture
Divorce
Family
Food
Glass ceiling
Gender issues
Gentlemanly behavior
Judaism
Madison Avenue
Marital infidelity
Masculine ritual
Nuclear war
Music
Nationalism
Nostalgia
Pregnancy
Relationships
Religion
Science
Sexuality
Smoking
The Way We Never Were (Coontz)
Whiteness/white privilege
Workplace humor
Where'd you find this?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Doomed Don Draper Copycats....

http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/news/a197333/mad-men-creator-dont-copy-don-draper.html

'Mad Men' creator: 'Don't copy Don Draper'
Monday, January 18 2010, 11:26am EST
By Alex Fletcher, Reality TV Editor

AMC
Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner
has said that fans should not imitate the show's lead character Don Draper.

Weiner also claimed that viewers of the AMC drama have spoken to him about how it has affected their sex lives.

"Couples will watch the show and then have sex, or a fight, which results from the woman being attracted to Don Draper and his behaviour and the men being infuriated that they can't behave like him," he told The Sunday Times.

"The message is not to be like Don Draper. Seducing people in the workplace is bad. But in the bedroom there is a charge to a man who knows what he wants... Of course a lot of this behaviour is possible if you look like Jon Hamm (Draper)."

Weiner's show won the 'Best Drama' gong at last night's Golden Globes ceremony.

The third series of Mad Men begins on BBC Four on January 27.
4284030852_46720fa1e3.jpg

Bustercat

A-List Customer
"Couples will watch the show and then have sex, or a fight, which results from the woman being attracted to Don Draper and his behaviour and the men being infuriated that they can't behave like him," he told The Sunday Times.

lol
Is he being serious, or is this buzz-creation?

Bummer about them getting rid of Sal. He was one of the most interesting characters, and I was hoping to see where all the tension and his double life was going to go. I was sure he would wind up at one of the hip young agencies that started taking over from the grey flannel guys in the 60's, and have a tense showdown with Sterling, Cooper, Draper, etc. later on as a rival.

Feraud

Bartender
Bustercat said:
lol
Is he being serious, or is this buzz-creation?
It's just typical buzz generating stupidity.
If I didn't stop watching this over hyped, over dressed soap opera a long time ago, I would after that condescending comment.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Joan's style

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/news/a200574/christina-hendricks-i-learn-from-joan.html

Chistina Hendrick's conceding that she has become interested in `60s fashion for herself:

Hendricks told Marie Claire: "I'm definitely learning from Joan. My personal style is very romantic. I'm drawn to things that have a feminine flair, whether it's a ruffle or an embellishment.

"Joan is much more streamlined, so I'm learning how that works on my figure. I'm a fan of the pencil skirt now. I used to think they were so conservative, but then I realised if you wear one that's tight enough, it's really sexy."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe