Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

The real Henry

Practically Family
Hollywood jackets???

Everytime I see one of those 1940s/50s two tone hollywood jackets on auction, they're always selled for a pretty high price.

BUT WHY???[huh]

Are they that rare? I cannot understand it, because I simply can't find them looking cool and I sometimes, if it's for example pink/light blue coloured one, think they're really ugly.

So what do You think about them?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
It's a distinctly American look. The japanese are crazy about the more flamboyant aspects of 'yankee' culture, much like there's a bizarre fascination with Japanese culture here in the states.

Not only that, but it's one of those 'icon' looks for the postwar period. Howard Hughes wore one, that alone gives the style some serious star power. People looking for an easily recognizable style from the '40s and '50s find it in hollywood jackets, much like bowling shirts and saddle shoes.

I've got one, it's a close ringer for Hughes' jacket, I paid a somewhat reasonable price for it. That's all I need. My interests in the period actually stop around '39 with exception to WWII history. But I liked the look of the jacket, and with Hughes being such an aviation icon, it was pretty tough to skip the opportunity. I had to grab this one, since it was used in a Hughes portrayal on the History Channel.

sworn_in.jpg

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Yes the Japanese like them, but more specifically the rock-a-billys .The west coatsers and Europeans get the large sizes. The guys that like these jackets have money.

It is not uncommon for them to trade in the couple grand mark for the rare ones especially during your weekenders.

The ones going for good money are your Eaton Halls or Robert Halls in gabardine sometimes with crushed velvet panels or Palm Beach Sportswear in the slub nubby rayon or silk or Johnny Walkers if you can find them are "good golly" Little Richard absolute screamin' stunning.

Elvis wore a two-tone detachable belt Eaton Hall.

Your tweed woolen blend or wool component Howard Huges jackets are a more common jacket --put it this way--- the duller the color the more likely that it not going to get that crazy , much like brown anything.Except flight jackets..but that is another story.

In the crazy colors like it was said, this exemplifies what is cool for the showman must be even better for the consumer. Even though they were along before the rock n 'roll era a lot of vintage collectors consider only the rock n'roll ones cool.

The period in which the rare examples are from was the time in which you got the easter egg colors and it was the R&B and early rock n' roll musicans... that gave them their coolness.

For those of us whose tastes are more postwar , like myself .The more gaudy the better, because stock is boring...liven it up!

Jerome---Cheaters

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm unveiling a CRAZY Hollywood Jacket at this years Viva Las Vegas weekender: yellow houndstooth collar & back, and blue velvet front with a detatchable belt! I'll see if I can take a pic!

[EDIT: link to this thread removed since threads were merged. Thanks, flat-top. ;) -HJ]

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
THe flashier gaberdine ones are much more popular. I guess it is because more people are into fifties style than forties. Also, the flashier ones are rarer and represent the highpoint of rock and roll fashion.

I prefer the more forties ones with tweed and such. I don't think I would wear a pink one or anything like that. Not my style. Besides, even if I got it for five bucks, I would know that I could get a grand for it, and so would have to sell it because I would never pay a grand for it.

I have a jackman suit taht is a tan gaberdine. It is a bxy hollywood cut, but one color, and matching pants. But truth be told it looks terrible on me so I have never even bothered to have it altered to fit in the legs. But it is so rare I can not bring myself to part with it.

I will post pics and see what you think.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
flat-top said:
I'm unveiling a CRAZY Hollywood Jacket at this years Viva Las Vegas weekender: yellow houndstooth collar & back, and blue velvet front with a detatchable belt! I'll see if I can take a pic!

[EDIT: link removed since threads were merged. Thanks, flat-top. ;) -HJ]

I want to see the picture!:eusa_doh:

flat-top

I don't think the pictures do it justice, but hopefully you get the idea!
IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

The gabardine is yellow and tan houndstooth. There are two front patch pockets and the top pocket is pleated/ vented.
I haven't seen another like this...and it was only $100!

kools

Practically Family
Once again Flat Top, absolutely wonderful!!! It looks like it is something special without looking like it's trying too hard. I'm like Reet on this one, I'll take the subtlety of the pre-rock and roll extreme jackets. I certainly do not mind standing out, but don't feel the need for the colors to scream. I think back to one Flat Top posted a while ago that I'm considering having copied...a simple one color gray tweed with belt. I think the cut of a great hollywood jacket speaks for itself.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
The real Henry said:
Everytime I see one of those 1940s/50s two tone hollywood jackets on auction, they're always selled for a pretty high price.

BUT WHY???[huh]

Are they that rare? I cannot understand it, because I simply can't find them looking cool and I sometimes, if it's for example pink/light blue coloured one, think they're really ugly.

So what do You think about them?

I think Wild Root said it best. . .

Wild Root said:
. You know what these coats mean right? Well, swing dancers and party guys wore this stuff in the late 40's and early 50's. Guys who knew how to let loose and have a good time. Count me in!

Benny Holiday

That's a crazy jacket Flat-top, it's the mezz! I know I'll never see another one like it, too cool! Resortes, has your jacket got dark blue velvet for the contrast panels? Real sharp!

Here's a few of mine, beginning with a vintage 40s number in light grey/brown/black herringbone tweed and blue wool:

Hollywood2.jpg

Hollywood1.jpg

And one I glommed from Skin Deep clothiers a few years back, it's a cool terracotta colour:

Hollywood4.jpg

Hollywood3.jpg

Benny Holiday

Skin Deep jacket

This is the first 'Hollywood"-style jacket I bought, from Skin Deep back at the beginning of 1994:

Hollywood5.jpg

Bottle green with a light grey contrast.

This loafer jacket I had made by my tailor Mario Valenti from a picture of a 1940's loafer. His details, in the pockets, collar and bottoned side vents were spot-on:

Loafer1.jpg

Loafer3.jpg

Loafer4.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Yup the material is velvet...one thing I've noticed is they sure loved shades of terra cotta for these loafer jackets, I've seen more in that color than anything else (the Skin Deep people got the shade dead-on)

Looking sharp Benny, you should post pics more often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken