Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks pal, well, we only recently got a digital camera, so I've been a bit slow in posting pics.

Skin Deep have some great vintage patterns, it's a shame they're so pricey - now at $800 for a Hollywood or loafer jacket! There's a buttery yellow one in their store right now that looks so cool, actually it's been in there for at least two and a half years because no one can afford to buy it! They're next to Armani on Elizabeth Street in Sydney, and have corresponding prices. Someone must be buying their threads, they're still in business, but it's sure not anyone I know!

I dig the velvet trim, man they made some cool stuff in the late 40s and early 50s!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
A couple of vintage Hollywood Jacket photos I happened to run across.

apostwar.jpg

fatherandson.jpg

Can you guess which very famous guitarist, the little tyke sitting with his Dad grew up to be?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Yes, he would grow up to be Jimi Hendrix...... although when he was born his Mom named him Johnny Allen Hendrix, when his Dad Al Hendrix came back from W.W. II, he renamed him James Marshall Hendrix.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I like the stripes...too bad they line up on the right side of the of the collar but not the left. Here's a famous publicity still of T-Bone Walker; his pin stripe hollywood suit is my next custom project.
tbonecapitol.jpg

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Howard Hughes Jacket

Here's one I put on ebay a while back. This one was wool. It was amazing and I tried to make it fit, but it fit like a 40 on me when I'm a 38. This was the second one I've owned over the years. My first was a drapy rayon/gab blend and the seller failed to mention the fifty or so moth holes on the back, so I returned it. I haven't had luck with these amazing jackets and have since given up.

These can be had for as little at 150 and upwards to 300+ I lucked out and paid just under 100 for this one and sold it for over 150.
HLYWD1.jpg

YETI

A-List Customer
marineabilly said:
Here's one I put on ebay a while back. This one was wool. It was amazing and I tried to make it fit, but it fit like a 40 on me when I'm a 38. This was the second one I've owned over the years. My first was a drapy rayon/gab blend and the seller failed to mention the fifty or so moth holes on the back, so I returned it. I haven't had luck with these amazing jackets and have since given up.

These can be had for as little at 150 and upwards to 300+ I lucked out and paid just under 100 for this one and sold it for over 150.
HLYWD1.jpg
I believe those were referred to as 'loafer' coats and were popular in the mid to late 40s. I remember American Rag in San Fran had a couple of jackets in that style but in slate and light blue. They were going for $400 each! and that was around '94 if I recall! I asked why they were priced so high and the salesperson said the store was geared more towards Japanese tourists. no surprise there :rolleyes:

I have a suit that i haven't yet listed here. The jacket is exactly the same style as the one above, except that it has brown tweed herringbone instead of the rust flannel. The arms are exactly that kind of plaid tweed. The trousers are brown herringboe tweed.

Must post that sometime. Probably in resortes' leisure wear thread.

bk

YETI

A-List Customer
Absinthe_1900 said:
A neat Hollywood Jacket line up.:eusa_clap

In the April 2006 issue of Reminisce Magazine, http://www.reminisce.com One of their readers sent in a shot of some family members decked out in 1949.......they were some lucky (& snappy dressed) kids.

jackets.jpg
These shorties are dressed snappier than most grown-ups today.

Mike K.

One Too Many
My latest Ebay score....

It hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but I'll try to post pics (of the jacket as worn) once it does.
f9b5_1.jpg
f889_1.jpg

I'd say it is pretty darn close to the look I wanted.
cap063.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
resortes805 said:
I saw that jacket! It's gone now....looks like I'll have to get one from Japan.

Hey Resorts,
Me to! I had it in my watch list but I was studying for a test and completely lost track of time! Do you have any info on the maker?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
It's from "The King," I'll PM you the link for the website. The auction was ended early, so either somebody offered the seller a pretty penny or they got cold feet about losing such an awesome hollywood jacket!

Jerekson

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
It hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but I'll try to post pics (of the jacket as worn) once it does.
f9b5_1.jpg
f889_1.jpg

I'd say it is pretty darn close to the look I wanted.
cap063.jpg

Lucky dog!!! I've been eyeing one of thsoe for years!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
flat-top said:
The King has been selling at VLV for the past few years, so you might get lucky there!

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out. Whenever possible I like to check reproductions in person before making a purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken