Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

DougC

Practically Family
Brim size is an issue for smaller noggins, if HD or Akubra can't do it count on adding another $55.00 (approximate) for a custom hatter to trim/bind and hope it matches the ribbon.
Have them change the ribbon at the same time so the binding and ribbon match--at that is a really high price! I got a hat cleaned, reblocked, new sweat band, ribbon and binding for $58 at my local hatter.

How close are we to ordering?

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Based on currant rates the hat should cost $213.72 shipped to the US. I have not made up my mind yet. I just got a BGG Camp Draft for $108.00 shipped so for this price I could buy two more Camp Drafts. If you spend some time in the Federation threads you will see that the general opinion is that the Heritage is not worth the extra cost. Now I do have a Heritage Federation III that I picked up on ebay for $60.00 and like it quite a bit. I would have like to see somthing like a special color or contrasting ribbon work. I am still on the fence.

Jeff

Hi guys, thought I would join in the conversation regarding the new Heritage Quality Campdraft in Silverbelly. I have just spoken to Akubra and we will be using the Heritage quality leather band on the new hat. The rough measurement is 41mm or 1 5/8 inches wide instead of the usual 35mm or 1 3/8 inches on the standard felt. Cheers Jenny

Welcome to our little asylum Jenny. Thanks for joining in on all the fun.

Now, one question from me = Is the felt of the Heritage of different in rabbit/hare content than the Imperial?
I know the finish & the sweatband are upgrades but is the felt body a step up as well?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Forgive me, but I'm coming into this thread late. I've been out of town since last Thursday on a Super Bowl party odyssey. I love Camp Drafts and Open Roads but I've no idea how Akubra's Heritage Quality differs from their Imperial Quality. I've been thinking of buying another Open Road style hat, but had almost decided to spring for a Jaxon in 100% beaver.

So what is "Heritage Quality"?

AF

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Select-quality fur, 25% denser felting, VERY nice wide sweatband (almost worth the extra cost by itself...almost), along with a softer finish (though that last one varies with each hat).

Forgive me, but I'm coming into this thread late. I've been out of town since last Thursday on a Super Bowl party odyssey. I love Camp Drafts and Open Roads but I've no idea how Akubra's Heritage Quality differs from their Imperial Quality. I've been thinking of buying another Open Road style hat, but had almost decided to spring for a Jaxon in 100% beaver.

AF

AF,
To quote Hats Direct website about "the Heritage Collection" here are some phrases =
Made with a specially blended fibres, the felt in this hat is superior in all ways.​
...the sweat band is made from the finest grade leather making wearing a pleasure​
and this
This felt is a relatively recent addition and is made from finer fibres taken from a select part of the rabbit pelt and mixed with the native Hare resulting in a grade which is denser and smoother than the Imperial grade. Parts of the pelt not required are discarded. It is more stable over time and less prone to shrinkage and distortions such as the tapering of the crown.

The Heritage Grade is the closest rabbit fur grade to Beaver Felt.

Gromulus

Practically Family

AF

Daid Morgan's website gives what may be the best definition of Heritage Quality:

The Heritage Collection presents a line of premium quality hats developed by Akubra. The felt in these hats is made from a select blend of specially graded furs of rabbit and hare which permit a longer and more arduous shrinking process. This process develops 25% more shrinkage, producing a denser and stronger felt, which in turn provides the basis for a superb pounced finish. The roan leather for the sweatbands is tanned from selected sheepskins, for an exceptional quality. The bands themselves are cut wider than normal to ensure the greatest comfort. The Heritage Collection hats are in all ways premium hats in the Akubra tradition, superb long lasting felt with outstanding leather sweatbands

Whether or not it is worth the extra $ is up to the buyer. I have two Heritage Banjo Paterson hats and, upon close examintaion, can tell the that the fur seems "more dense" (Sorry, I don't have my doctorate in "hatology" as of yet). I can't say they shrunk any less than my other Akubras. Like most of my size 60's, I had to use a felt strip for a few months. After a few months of wear I was able to remove the strips. All very nice hats.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, all. So if I am interested I should e-mail Hats Direct and tell them? I take it the Heritage Camp Draft isn't quite a reality as of yet, but perhaps could be if we work at it. As a side note, I think that I would want my hat to be identical to my Silverbelly Imperial Camp Draft...but made in the higher quality.

And I still think I want a Jaxon.

AF

Thanks, all. So if I am interested I should e-mail Hats Direct and tell them? I take it the Heritage Camp Draft isn't quite a reality as of yet, but perhaps could be if we work at it. As a side note, I think that I would want my hat to be identical to my Silverbelly Imperial Camp Draft...but made in the higher quality.

And I still think I want a Jaxon.

AF

Correct AF. From initial post in this thread = EVERYBODY needs to email sales@hatsdirect.com & ask Ron for a HERITAGE grade SILVER BELLY CAMPDRAFT & specify the size, reference that you are from THE FEDORA LOUNGE.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I sent my e-mail, too. Told them I wanted a silverbelly Heritage Camp Draft. Told them I was a long-time member of the Fedora Lounge. They wrote back and told me that they didn't much care where I did my drinking, but maybe they could build me a hat.

AF

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't commented in this thread, but I am very tempted to throw my name in the hat here. I already have four Campdrafts, one of which is silverbelly, but I don't have a heritage quality one. Hmmmmm!

Hat Girl

New in Town
It just depends on the amount of interest there is in a new style. The Campdraft in Heritage Quality Felt seems to have created a bit of excitement out there. We need to order a large number of hats from Akubra when we introduce a new style and we want to make sure that there will be a market for them.

Dundee

A-List Customer
My email just went in. I vote to leave the color and trim as is. You can't improve on that look.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Quick reply. I am impressed and pleased. I look forward to doing business with these folks. Again, I vote for "standard" trim. I would like the hat to look exactly like an Imperial CD but made in Heritage quality.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the enquiry.

We are currently working with Akubra to have the Campdraft made in the Heritage Quality Felt in Silverbelly. As you would be aware, we are just waiting to get a final decision from the guys on the Fedora Lounge regarding the trim. Once this has happened, we will be able to go ahead with the production of the new hat.

I have placed your expression on interest into our system and as soon as we have a definite date for delivery, I'll let you know.

Keep the discussion going on the Fedora Lounge, the more interest we generate in this new hat, the better.

Best regards,
Jenny

AF

Hat Girl

New in Town
The felt quality will be the same as the felt used for the Federation Deluxe IV. This felt is much denser than the Imperial quality and it will also have additional sanding to the surface of the felt in the finishing process, to give a very smooth finish to the hat. Comments from some of our customers have said that the Heritage quality felt holds up much better in wet conditions and also retains the shape of the hat better than the Imperial felt.

RBH

Bartender
I love my 3 Campdrafts.... but like a few here have stated, what are the thoughts on a 2 1\2 inch brim?
I only put this forth as we are tossing around some thoughts.

But as to trim... the ribbons on both brim and crown are what makes it a Camp Draft.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe