Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

DougC

Practically Family
I'm voting again for the standard dimension CD--in silver belly. I have a dream...that dream includes a Heritage CD in silver belly. Or course, that dream also includes a silver belly Borsalino Allessandria and a Stetson Clear Beaver...and some ther hats in silver belly. A guy's gotta dream...

.... but like a few here have stated, what are the thoughts on a 2 1\2 inch brim?
I only put this forth as we are tossing around some thoughts.

I say toss it out. The Campdraft is just right the way it is, perfect symmetry if you ask me. I could maybe see a 2 3/4" brim or the LEAST a 2 5/8" but why mess with what already works?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It just depends on the amount of interest there is in a new style. The Campdraft in Heritage Quality Felt seems to have created a bit of excitement out there. We need to order a large number of hats from Akubra when we introduce a new style and we want to make sure that there will be a market for them.

Hat Girl, welcome to the Fedora Lounge. I'm sure you're finding it comfortable here as we all do.

I'm curious about how well the mid gray Campdraft went for you? I don't mean to be nosy, but I'm just wondering if you were able to move enough of them to make that venture worth your while. Also, thanks a bunch to you folks for your excellent service to me and to many others here, and thanks for listening to our hearts' desires.

Picker

One of the Regulars
I agree with gtdean about keeping the brim width the same. The Campdraft/Open Road is a classic design because of its features: brim width, narrow matching ribbon, and matching brim binding. I'm in favor of keeping the classic features and just upgrading the felt and sweatband to Heritage quality. Besides, the Cd has a tall crown; a narrower brim will most likely be quite out of proportion.
Picker (or maybe "Picky" regarding tradition)

DougC

Practically Family
I agree with gtdean about keeping the brim width the same. The Campdraft/Open Road is a classic design because of its features: brim width, narrow matching ribbon, and matching brim binding. I'm in favor of keeping the classic features and just upgrading the felt and sweatband to Heritage quality. Besides, the Cd has a tall crown; a narrower brim will most likely be quite out of proportion.
Picker (or maybe "Picky" regarding tradition)
Had to quote...couldn't find the "like" button...

Dundee

A-List Customer
Camp Draft is a classic

I totally agree with keeping the Camp Draft as is. No changes to the style are needed. The upgrades will be just right.:D

frussell

One Too Many
Another keep it the same vote. If I wanted a smaller brimmed hat, I'd have someone alter it, or buy another model. The specs of the Campdraft as it stands are what keeps me buying them again and again. The wider brim is part of its versatility. Put a smaller brim on it, and the option of a cattleman crease is diminished, as it looks really goofy on me with anything under 2 3/4. That's just me though. Frank

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Count me in! I just fired off my e-mail to Ron and Jenny. Heritage Grade felt and sweat band, Silver Belly, same brim dimension, ribbon and brim binding. Size 62. My Tawny Fawn Campdraft is my favorite hat, I wear it more than any other hat I have. Hope this comes to fruition.

Picker

One of the Regulars
Jenny,
Please give us an idea of the minimum number of hats you need to order to make this project happen. Then, I think we can all start putting our money where our typing is. I'm committed.
Andy

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
Another vote for the original dimensions and trim. I wouldn't be in on the deal if it involved modification beyond the upgrades inherent to the Heritage Quality.

James71

A-List Customer
Ahhh... I see Jen has joined us here in the Lounge, so no go betweening necessary.

Gday Jen. Great to see you in here.

I would join in the buy except I have a relatively new CD in silverbelly already. Its a great hat and a beautiful colour.

Consider a diamond bash! It fits very nicely and brings the height down.

P9060029sm.jpg

Cdrebash2.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Silverbelly Colour

I'm having a hard time getting a handle on the silver belly colour, having not seen it in person.

Sometimes it looks white, sometimes tan, etc.

I think I remember reading somewhere on the lounge that it is an extremely difficult colour to accurately display.

Harry.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Definitely not white. I have a western custom in bone & the Akubra Silver belly is more tannish than it. Because of this difficulty, it does seem to go with browns & taupes as well as blues & greys...

Do you know how it would compare to the "natural" colour of a 100% beaver fur felt hat? Last Best West sells many of their westerns that way.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm a recent convert to both Akubras and to thin-ribbon, Western-ish hats. Yes, leave it with the thin ribbon, but I vote for a smaller brim, say 2 1/2" or 2 5/8". I've seen Resistols and Open Roads on eBay with what the seller says is a brim in those dimensions, so if they're accurate in their measuring, it means the companies had some variations (or modified them to meet the customer's request). They look good that way, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe