Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

I'm a recent convert to both Akubras and to thin-ribbon, Western-ish hats. Yes, leave it with the thin ribbon, but I vote for a smaller brim, say 2 1/2" or 2 5/8". I've seen Resistols and Open Roads on eBay with what the seller says is a brim in those dimensions, so if they're accurate in their measuring, it means the companies had some variations (or modified them to meet the customer's request). They look good that way, too.

I have owned Open Roads with brims from 2" all the way to 3". Back in the day, Stetson did take orders from dealers for specific brim widths. They also let you order it in about 13 different colors & lots of different grades of felt. Currently, HatCo which owns the Stetson & Resistol marques, does not do such a service. Akubra currently does not do such a service from what I can tell. Trimming the brim & reattaching the binding would be an aftermarket that a hatter could help you with. Jenny from Hats Direct can correct me if I am mistaken....

mflemming

One of the Regulars
If Hatsdirect could package some extra of the original ribbon in with the Campdrafts it would make things easier for those that want to have the brims cut down. Might be the best solution all around.

I have 2 Natural, undyed 100% beaver customs & the Akubra Silver Belly is lighter than them. I can try to get a photo up this weekend.

Here are some shots of the Silver Belly Campdraft with a couple of custom hats from Winchester Hat factory felt bodies, 100% Beaver fur, natural, undyed. The green ribbon hat is a dress weight & the other is a featherweight. The CD is in the middle & is clearly a lighter tannish color.
Photo-0069.jpg

Here is CD against the "ArtLite" Natural.
Photo-0073.jpg

Next, I thru in a Vintage Stetson 25 which is even lighter tan still making the CD look even mauve-ish.
Photo-0072.jpg

Hat Girl

New in Town
Andy, We need to order a minimum 88 hats. 48 though in size 62 +, which is a lot of big hats. Going on current interest, we have about 6 orders for these sizes. Just need to find a bunch of guys with big heads! Jenny

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Jenny -- that certainly seems a bit bizarre (not that I'm doubting you). So, out of an order of 88 hats, 48 of them need to be in extremely large sizes? What's the thinking on that from Akubra's perspective -- any idea?

Cheers,
JtL

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
88 hats....thats a tall order! How many do we have so far? I agree with JTL above....over half the order needs to be size 62 or larger? I'm not sure if there are 48 fellas here that require a hat that size.

Picker

One of the Regulars
Requiring an 88 minimum hat order with over half being 62 and larger, I think we may be dead in the water here, guys. Let's ante up numbers and sizes:
Picker: one hat, size 61.
Next...

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
88 hats seems doable but 48 over 62? That's going to be very difficult. I'd love to help as I wear a size 62 but I already have a campdraft in silverbelly and with the exchange rate as it is now I can't really justify the extra expense just for a different version of the same hat.

I am sorry but half the sizes being over 62 does not represent any demographic except maybe the NBA & the NFL!!!
I wear a 61/ 7 5/8 and have always been in the minority. I can't imagine where a 62/7 3/4 would put me.
I know we did not hit such a requirement when we got the Glen Grey run doing or there are a lot of LARGE Glen Grey Campdrafts sitting in storage somewhere.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Interesting requirement. I am sure we are all curious re. the rationale behind it. I see Hats Direct still has the Glen Grey Camp Drafts on ther website. I wonder how many and what sizes they still have available.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe the hat bodies for Campdrafts in sizes 62+ need to be larger than the hat bodies for smaller hats? Maybe they would need to do a run of heritage level felt in that larger size for the 62+ sized customers.

Brando11

A-List Customer
I don't know, fellas, but it sounds to me like maybe Akubra isn't really thrilled about doing this but they hate to say no. That's a very odd requirement they're making.

If it does work out, though, I'd be in for a size 60.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Here are some shots of the Silver Belly Campdraft with a couple of custom hats from Winchester Hat factory felt bodies, 100% Beaver fur, natural, undyed. The green ribbon hat is a dress weight & the other is a featherweight. The CD is in the middle & is clearly a lighter tannish color.
Photo-0069.jpg

Here is CD against the "ArtLite" Natural.
Photo-0073.jpg

Next, I thru in a Vintage Stetson 25 which is even lighter tan still making the CD look even mauve-ish.
Photo-0072.jpg

much appreciated!

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Interesting requirement. I am sure we are all curious re. the rationale behind it. I see Hats Direct still has the Glen Grey Camp Drafts on ther website. I wonder how many and what sizes they still have available.

I bought a 61 Glen Grey last August. Love it.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Andy, We need to order a minimum 88 hats. 48 though in size 62 +, which is a lot of big hats. Going on current interest, we have about 6 orders for these sizes. Just need to find a bunch of guys with big heads! Jenny

sounds like a NO without saying NO to me. Youl'd be lucky to get 20 in a 62+ size I'd be willing to guess. :) Good luck folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe