Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Artie

Suspended
I knew I saw that hat somewhere! 450 bucks for a Freewheelin Franklin hat!
2yost1f.jpg

freewheelin_franklin2.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
killer Stetson western - Scott? - can't be - too few feedback points.

Not me, but I confess to wanting it - I even emailed the seller with questions. But as Bill said, I already have that label - even the same color. Hopefully someone here picked it up and can let us know about it.

donnc

One of the Regulars

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:

Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a late '40s size tag, '40s liner (oilskin cover), so I would expect the round 3X sweatband stamp. This one has an embossed rectangular sweatband stamp that is higher quality than the cheap ones from the late '50s and onward.

Is this a combination of features we haven't seen before?

Robert and Jimmy could probably clear this up for us.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a late '40s size tag, '40s liner (oilskin cover), so I would expect the round 3X sweatband stamp. This one has an embossed rectangular sweatband stamp that is higher quality than the cheap ones from the late '50s and onward.

Is this a combination of features we haven't seen before?

Robert and Jimmy could probably clear this up for us.
Liner went into early 60's(perhaps a little later) and tag into late 50's.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Liner went into early 60's(perhaps a little later) and tag into late 50's.

I know the liner did, but with that yellowish oilskin? I thought that was older. And that size tag is the thinner font that preceeded the thick, dark font tags. But given they quit using the round stamp on these in the late '50s, what you're saying makes sense.

I had a Stetson with the same size tag, but a round 3X stamp - it was from the late '40s. I'm expecting to eventually see a '20s or '30s western that has that rectangular stamp - maybe one has shown up and I've missed it, but I've only seen '30s (and older westerns) that were nutria or No.1 quality.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Knapp Felt top hat

This one got a pretty good price. I thought 'Knapp Felt' was a term only used by Crofut and Knapp, but when I asked the seller about it, she replied as follows:

"Knapp Felt is what the beaver panel is called when it is processed to a shine. Beaver hide, and beaver fur alone is altogether different (according to research)."

Knapp Felt Top Hat

I googled "Knapp Felt", hoping to find a definition, and found the following:

"Keator also testified that Knapp had told him that Knapp felt for Velzy's pulse but could not find it..."

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I know the liner did, but with that yellowish oilskin? I thought that was older. And that size tag is the thinner font that preceeded the thick, dark font tags. But given they quit using the round stamp on these in the late '50s, what you're saying makes sense.

I had a Stetson with the same size tag, but a round 3X stamp - it was from the late '40s. I'm expecting to eventually see a '20s or '30s western that has that rectangular stamp - maybe one has shown up and I've missed it, but I've only seen '30s (and older westerns) that were nutria or No.1 quality.
I have 3X's with the end of 50's size tag with the "7" added to the fraction that still have the round sweatband stamp with the full crest.

Artie

Suspended
Mario said:
So some old hats come with cooties or mites. Does this one come with a giant, jacket-wearing cockroach? :eek: :D
Careful my friend I bet there are plenty of people with fond memories of the fabulous furry freak brothers, and then we'll get into one of those arguments about how bad the 60's were threads that pop up from time to time.:p

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
This one got a pretty good price. I thought 'Knapp Felt' was a term only used by Crofut and Knapp, but when I asked the seller about it, she replied as follows:

"Knapp Felt is what the beaver panel is called when it is processed to a shine. Beaver hide, and beaver fur alone is altogether different (according to research)."

Knapp Felt Top Hat

I googled "Knapp Felt", hoping to find a definition, and found the following:

"Keator also testified that Knapp had told him that Knapp felt for Velzy's pulse but could not find it..."

I thought about trying to set the seller straight, but decided against it. If I tried to set all the sellers straight, I'd never get anything else done.lol

I just hope some poor sucker didn't get taken for a ride.

Brad

billyspew

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
I thought about trying to set the seller straight, but decided against it. If I tried to set all the sellers straight, I'd never get anything else done.lol

I just hope some poor sucker didn't get taken for a ride.

Brad

I spotted it, but I thought that while they wouldn't be getting a top hat from one of the top hatters in the states, they would be getting a hat from one of the top hatters (of the era) from the British Isles.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
I spotted it, but I thought that while they wouldn't be getting a top hat from one of the top hatters in the states, they would be getting a hat from one of the top hatters (of the era) from the British Isles.

I guess I should have rephrased that, as I wasn't disparaging the hat. It looks to be a fine hat.:) I just meant that I hope someone wasn't stupid enough to be expecting a C&K hat with their win.

Brad

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Scoring Zero Borsalinos out of Two

I've been looking for hats for my wife as our anniversary is coming up. In the course of that search I've found and bought not one but two Borsalino hats for women.

The first one was a traveler's hat. It looks kind of funky in the photos but I thought that a bit of steam would set things right. I took a chance on it, and I still think that a bit of steam would fix it right up. Unfortunately, it's too small for her. :eusa_doh:

The second one was a dark blue fedora-like hat that was imported exclusively for Lazurus of Columbus, OH. Unfortunately, the seller shipped it UPS. My regular UPS guy is pretty good, but the substitutes tend to be lazy. I have a very large plastic container next to my front door with large letters requesting that packages be placed inside the container. The reason for this is my dogs, whom view anything left out as something to play with. Apparently putting the box inside the container wasn't something the guy was willing to do. I came home to find a shredded box, and eventually what was left of the hat. :rage: It would have been a lovely hat; nice thick velvet-like felt, a silk sweatband, deep dark blue... :(

I've said it before and I'll say it again: people love to knock the USPS, but our of the hundreds of packages I've had shipped to me from eBay purchases, I've had only one that came squashed when it was delivered by my carrier and that was the seller's fault. They'd squashed the hat down to fit into a very short box that was made of the same type of cardboard as cereal boxes. The other times I've had items damaged it's been by UPS, DHL, or FedEx.

I'm going to avoid using UPS as much as possible from now on. And now I've got to come up with another anniversary present before the weekend! :eek: (No, it wasn't the only present I planned for her, but still...)

Thanks for listening to me rant, both of you who stuck with it! lol lol

Regards,
Tom

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm right there with you when it comes to UPS. Tom. I avoid them at almost any cost. I doubt they could ship an anvil without damaging it.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
-=snip=-

I'm going to avoid using UPS as much as possible from now on. And now I've got to come up with another anniversary present before the weekend! :eek: (No, it wasn't the only present I planned for her, but still...)

Thanks for listening to me rant, both of you who stuck with it! lol lol

Regards,
Tom

I'm with you, Tom. I have almost all my ebay items sent to my office because I know UPS won't foul that up, and we have a good guy handling the route. The last several items sent to my home via UPS have wound up on the doorstep of the vacant house next door. Grass a foot high, foreclosure notice on the door - it's obvious that no one lives there. My house number is prominently displayed, and come to think of it so is the house's next to me, but the guy keeps screwing up the deliveries.

The USPS performs a great service at an unbelievable price. I send my son's college care packages via USPS Priority Mail and he receives them in one/two days. I never understand why people spend the money on Brown/Fedex and snub the outfit that WE own, the USPS.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
In Southern California there are few post offices that aren't mobbed at any time of the day. Waiting in these interminable lines and watching the patrons at the counter go through lengthy negotiations with the postal clerk only adds to the drama. There is always a few people in line who come totally unprepared even to the point of buying a box at the post office and then asking the clerk to help them with the packaging. Many of them are actually addressing there items at the counter while everyone waits. Makes the DMV and bank lines look speedy. I really, really, really hate going to the post office and will avoid doing that at all cost. I pay more at the Fedex store but it is more than worth it.:mad: grumble, grumble.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
I have 3X's with the end of 50's size tag with the "7" added to the fraction that still have the round sweatband stamp with the full crest.

Stetson might have moved (back) to the rectangular ones earlier on westerns than on fedoras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld