Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
redhawks2 said:
I really, really, really hate going to the post office and will avoid doing that at all cost. I pay more at the Fedex store but it is more than worth it.:mad: grumble, grumble.

What about doing it online? You can pay for postage, print out the shipping label, and have a carrier pick up the package from wherever you want. No need to go to the Post Office at all! You can even have them ship you free Priority Mail boxes, yes, for free, and purchase stamps and such to be delivered.

I guess I've been lucky. The times I've had to use a Post Office in Southern California the lines haven't been very long and it was a fairly quick process. It's been a while, though, since I mailed stuff home from there while visiting family. Here in rural Ohio they know their customers, and if the carrier leaves a package slip instead of the package I can go ring their back door bell before they open to pick up my package on the way to work.

Cheers,
Tom

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
What about doing it online? You can pay for postage, print out the shipping label, and have a carrier pick up the package from wherever you want. No need to go to the Post Office at all! You can even have them ship you free Priority Mail boxes, yes, for free, and purchase stamps and such to be delivered.

Cheers,
Tom

The way Tom just described works great, especially if you live in a house. It was fantastic to be able to order supplies online, print off postage and insurance, and just hand the packages to the mailman when he/she knocked on my door.

I also like Fedex Ground - very inexpensive and relatively fast delivery.

My experience has been that Fedex and UPS service varies by geography - UPS is great where I now live, but was horrible in Marietta, Georgia. Both Fedex and UPS were horrible about giving up on packages because of some small address glitch, and just sticking them in a pile until I figured out the problem and drove 15-30 miles to pick up the item. And Fedex Home Delivery is a farce - when I find out a package has been shipped that way, I begin proactive damage control immediately.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:

Cheers,
Tom

My postal worker also said that if I print and package at home that I get cheaper rates.

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Wide-Brim Cavanagh

I put in a small bid and was surprise to come home and find I'd won this. I guess people were scared away by the dirtiness, possible mildew? I'm a sucker for a frayed ribbon.

!BmSI-9!BGk~$(KGrHqMH-D8EtZKEcjFWBLfHjJUWmQ~~_12.JPG

ebay Cavanagh

rlk

I'll Lock Up

ScottF

Call Me a Cab

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Hmmm...well, I hope you're wrong. I ignored the incorrect opening measurements, since it has a 7 1/4 tag. But if the brim's smaller than 2 1/2, I would not be happy at all.

The brim looks 2" to 2 1/4" to me, but that could be deceiving photos. Still a nice hat!

Brad

Stan

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
Hmmm...well, I hope you're wrong. I ignored the incorrect opening measurements, since it has a 7 1/4 tag. But if the brim's smaller than 2 1/2, I would not be happy at all.

Hi,

I saw that but skipped it because I figured it was a stingy brim. Looks like the ribbon is taller than the brim is wide, and the widest ribbon I think of would be 2", so I think the brim is no wider, even accounting for some optical tricks from a wide angle camera lens.....

If the ribbon is thinner than 2", then the brim is even narrower than I think...

later!

Stan

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes I'm amazed that sellers don't research their market beforehand. Take, for instance, this '60s wool Crofut & Knapp that failed to sell in a Buy-It-Now auction. I've seen a lot of this sort of thing lately, where sellers figure a hat is worth more than it really is. Far too many of these examples lately for C&K, Cavanagh, and Dobbs.

In some instances, their opening bids (I'm talking $100 and up) are actually worth it for the hat, but buyers are put off by the high opening bid, even though I suspect they wouldn't mind paying that price in a heated auction.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
Sometimes I'm amazed that sellers don't research their market beforehand. Take, for instance, this '60s wool Crofut & Knapp that failed to sell in a Buy-It-Now auction. I've seen a lot of this sort of thing lately, where sellers figure a hat is worth more than it really is. Far too many of these examples lately for C&K, Cavanagh, and Dobbs.

In some instances, their opening bids (I'm talking $100 and up) are actually worth it for the hat, but buyers are put off by the high opening bid, even though I suspect they wouldn't mind paying that price in a heated auction.

Brad

$175 for that?! Uh, no thanks. I'll give him $5 and a pat on the back. That's about it. ;) :p

Stan

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
I don't know - yet another Stetson enigma.

Hi,

As if we didn't have enough of those as it is! lol

I suspect that they had several dozen master hatters working at the same time and each one had his own way of attending to the details. As in hatter #1 used stamp 'A' and #2 used stamp 'b', and so on....

later!

Stan

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stan said:
Hi,

As if we didn't have enough of those as it is! lol

I suspect that they had several dozen master hatters working at the same time and each one had his own way of attending to the details. As in hatter #1 used stamp 'A' and #2 used stamp 'b', and so on....

later!

Stan

That's a good theory, but the 'hat evidence' we've seen with Stetson indicates for the most part, predictable patterns. The point I'm making is that this particular pattern is not one we've seen before, so I'm trying to figure out what might have happened. Perhaps this was a 'mad hatter' who located an old sweatband stamp (this one is embossed like the old rectangular stamps, not the half-@ssed ones from the '60s onward) to use for a personal hat, etc. We'll never know, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld