Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
And I passed on it after seeing your marker. :)

That's a fantastic win on the ventilator. Putting a few dozen hats in the mail to you for punching.

AHHH, sorry I ruined it for the both of us. :eusa_doh: I was hoping at least one of us could nab that Keith Boater.

I'm absolutely ecstatic about receiving this Ventilator! I would be more than happy to Ventilate any hat you send to me :eek:)

How neat is that!!? Nice find.

Thanks!! :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Great catch, Josh!! Now you just need to cut some more metal pieces and drill different patterns!

An ad I posted in the Hat tools thread:

ventilator_ad.jpg

Patent:

VentilatorPatent

B

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
By the way, Josh, by the image above the ventilator is to be use with a stiff felt, so if you are using it on a soft felt, I think I'd put some cardboard on the other side of the hat, opposite where the ventilator is to give some resistance to the poker. I'd think that just poking through the metal without any resistance on the other side of the felt just might damage the felt like Smoothie worried about. Just a thought.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Great catch, Josh!! Now you just need to cut some more metal pieces and drill different patterns!

Thanks for posting that ad and the patent link, Bill!! I LOVE when antique items list Patent numbers. The numbers make it so much easier to find info on the product. I also find it amusing that the template is listed in the same advertisement as the sweatband initial punch......I just bought one of those last week as well. :)

I would love to find more of these with different patterns, but considering this is the first one I have seen since joining the lounge back in 2009, I highly doubt I will find any more. I might just have to make a couple of my own with different patterns ;) This original will act as a perfect guide to reproduce some new patterns!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
By the way, Josh, by the image above the ventilator is to be use with a stiff felt, so if you are using it on a soft felt, I think I'd put some cardboard on the other side of the hat, opposite where the ventilator is to give some resistance to the poker. I'd think that just poking through the metal without any resistance on the other side of the felt just might damage the felt like Smoothie worried about. Just a thought.

Good thought! I was thinking that as well. Even thought this punch was probably made for Stiff felts, it will work just fine on soft hats. I was actually thinking about getting a couple of those balsa blocks or Styrofoam blocks to use as a backing. So many possibilities! :)

dnjan

One Too Many
Good thought! I was thinking that as well. Even thought this punch was probably made for Stiff felts, it will work just fine on soft hats. I was actually thinking about getting a couple of those balsa blocks or Styrofoam blocks to use as a backing. So many possibilities! :)
I think it would work better with a stiffer backing block. Otherwise the backing block just crushes instead of providing firm support. And the edges of the hole are more ragged.

(I have no experience punching holes in felt, but lots of experience punching holes in leather.)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I think it would work better with a stiffer backing block. Otherwise the backing block just crushes instead of providing firm support. And the edges of the hole are more ragged.

(I have no experience punching holes in felt, but lots of experience punching holes in leather.)

VERY true! I will buy a standard wood "junk" block to use as a hard backing board for the punch. That way when the punch leaves an indentation on the block, it won't matter because it will only be used for that purpose.

fedoracentric

Banned
I don't think I'd pick too hard of a wood for that. Your pokers look pointed, not scalloped, so if the wood if too hard the pokers won't go through the felt far enough before being stopped by the wood and the hole will be very small. Maybe some soft pine would do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82